Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Degree/Certificate in Japanese

Degree/Certificate in Japanese

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Degree/Certificate in Japanese

Postby Aki_4 » Tue 11.06.2007 3:10 pm

I'm currently researching Japanese degree and certificate programs online and in my area (Northern VA, DC).

Does anyone know of any degree and/or certificate programs online?

~Aki
Aki_4

RE: Degree/Certificate in Japanese

Postby hungryhotei » Tue 11.06.2007 3:31 pm

I only know about the distance learning courses offered at Sheffield.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 11.07.2007 5:15 am

I believe the University of Maryland has a highly regarded Japanese program. No idea if they have online/correspondence courses available, but it should be easy for you to research.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Aki_4 » Thu 11.08.2007 1:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I asked for more info from Sheffied but haven't had a reply yet. I looked up the U of MD program and there is no online program for their Japanese studies.

Thanks again.
Aki_4

Postby MoogleFan » Sat 12.08.2007 2:27 am

I, too, would like to find an on-line Japanese language college course which would lead to credits and possibly to a degree, but I haven't come up with much in my research...
However, BYU is now offering an on-line distance education course in 3rd year Japanese (with second year and first year Japanese as prerequisites). Hopefully, they will offer 1st and 2nd year Japanese in the future! I don't remember seeing the 3rd year Japanese offered until just recently (I'm currently taking a non-Japanese course on-line there and it's great so far), so I am going to keep my eyes peeled.
3rd Year Japanese

For anyone reading this topic who is not college-age yet, the following classes for 8th-grade through 12th students:
First Year Japanese 1
First Year Japanese 2
Second Year Japanese 1
Second Year Japanese 2

For goodness sake, if you have long links, wrap the url tags around some text that won't distort the layout! - the Management
Last edited by MoogleFan on Sat 12.08.2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoogleFan

Postby latenight2736 » Mon 12.10.2007 1:11 am

are you talking about an actual bachelor's in japanese or just something to prove that you know japanese?

if its the former than I believe more than just knowing the language is required for a japanese degree at most universities, usually history courses also. If its the latter I am not sure about any place that just gives you a certificate that you know a language. Usually you learn the language in whatever capacity you can and then take a standardized test (JLPT) that people can judge your ability by.

EDIT: That sheffield program looks like the closest to what you are looking for. also check community colleges in your area. They might have night classes you can take.
Last edited by latenight2736 on Mon 12.10.2007 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
no hesitation, go for it!
latenight2736

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips