Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do you learn Japanese? What's your tips?

How do you learn Japanese? What's your tips?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: How do you learn Japanese? What's your tips?

Postby Kurasho » Thu 12.20.2007 2:23 am

kitamichibi wrote:
I learn Japanese by pretending that I don't know any languages at all and I'm starting from scratch, pretty dumb? I know but its really effective. How do you learn japanese? What's your tips?

I've bought this small notebook having 16 lines each page, I force myself to learn exactly 16 new words from my dictionary everyday and write them in the notebook in hiragana , that really helps in 2 things : As a good practice for hiragana , & a very good method for rapidly expanding your vacabulary.

Oh and your method is really helpful too , although it needed alot of practical applyance from my side.
Kurasho

Postby everdream » Thu 12.20.2007 6:13 am

^ Are you just writing down the words? No example sentances, no conjugatioons? (particualy on verbs?).
It's very well knowing the verb Osu, for example, but not knowing the verb form, Oshimasu, Osanai ect means you don't really know how to use the word.
Last edited by everdream on Thu 12.20.2007 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Kurasho » Thu 12.20.2007 12:33 pm

I used to write examples when learning my first verbs, but I stopped ever since I got more experienced on how the verbs work. "u" verbs were really a pain to work with, although after practice you could easily guess the past and "te" forms of most of them.
Something like "Kaku" & "Oku" , they kinda sound the same way...so they work the same way.
Kurasho

Postby NocturnalOcean » Thu 12.20.2007 6:13 pm

everdream wrote:
^ Are you just writing down the words? No example sentances, no conjugatioons? (particualy on verbs?).
It's very well knowing the verb Osu, for example, but not knowing the verb form, Oshimasu, Osanai ect means you don't really know how to use the word.

It all depends of what level you are, but once you are familiar with the conjugations, it shouldn't be necessary to write down all conjugations. When seeing a new verb, ex: 滅ぶ(ほろぶ), you should be able to conjugate it just by knowing this one form.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby everdream » Thu 12.20.2007 6:17 pm

Good point, I didn't think of that at first.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips