Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need help with finding a textook

Need help with finding a textook

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Need help with finding a textook

Postby kevinnwhat » Thu 11.15.2007 5:32 pm

Hey everyone, im new here btw, and im glad to be here. Well im finally (got the money finally :D) going to buy a japanese text book. Im having trouble choosing one and what level i should buy. I have been studying for 4 months, I know basic grammar...I know how to use prepositions, i know verbs (base 1,2,3,4,5, te/ta form) and popular endings used with each (progressive tense, polite,negative,past, kureru,kudasai,nakereba narimasen etc..) I know how to use basic adjectives, and know how to conjugate them (adverbly) ex (Samukunarimashita ne?) Just plain stuff like that. Im not very good with adjectives though (need more work :P)I know all of hiragana/katakana very well now. And i know all of kanji JPLT lvl 4, and about 3/4 of lvl 3. I know their meanings, though i do not have all their readings memorized and all the possible combinations of words you can make for them :P Got alot more work to with them. And yeah basically i dont know what level of textbook i should get. Do you think if i get beginner lvl 1 their gonna teach me the same things i dont know? Im not really sure what i should look into, or even the series, although ive heard genki is good. Thank you for taking time to read this and any response is much appreciate!! Again thank you for your time.

Take care everyone,
Kevin
kevinnwhat

RE: Need help with finding a textook

Postby poppop » Thu 11.15.2007 5:40 pm

i guess most people here will say "Genki".. so i'll just say "Genki" :P
there's "Genki 2" too... but i don't think you know everything that is in "genki 1" (i haven't really looked through it)
i prefer this site over text books though: "www.guidetojapanese.org"
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby kevinnwhat » Thu 11.15.2007 5:46 pm

thanks alot, appreciate it, this site looks great btw
kevinnwhat

Postby Rypervenche » Thu 11.15.2007 11:03 pm

I've found Genki to be very nice, but they often use the shortened version of things and don't go into detail about the longer version, they just give you fine print of it. I recommend the book however, but I think you'd be better off with book 2 as well and learning from the both of them. Japanese in Mangaland is a great grammar book, there are 3 books total, that go into great detail about grammar while taking it in steps and making it fun to learn and great for review whenever you need it. I have the first two books and I use them all the time for reference.

I found that joining the chatroom and learning with people who wanted to learn as well was a GREAT way to learn...and thanks to Tae Kim's page and various books, I learned a LOT in a short amount of time with friends and interest.

Good luck, I wish you well, and if you ever join the chat, I'll be more than happy to help you with anything you need, as will many others^^
Rypervenche

Postby kevinnwhat » Fri 11.16.2007 4:03 pm

thank you very much for for your kind response! i will take your advice :D (i think ive seen the japanese in manga land book in my local library before, ill have to check it out again :) )
kevinnwhat

Postby Kisshu » Fri 11.16.2007 4:52 pm

Genki 1. There is LOTS of grammer and I don't think you would know everything well enough to get into Genki 2...
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby kevinnwhat » Sat 11.17.2007 11:56 pm

thank you kisshu for your response! I will prolly be getting genki 1
kevinnwhat

Postby Kisshu » Sun 11.18.2007 1:58 am

Coolio! Well good luck with it ;)
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby nabilahforever » Sun 11.18.2007 4:45 am

konnichiwa everyone!well,i really not good in japanese.maybe,if there is an examination in japanese,i think i'll fail. :obut if i study hard maybe i can proof it.well,i'm kind of a new member here.and i really need your help very much :)can anyone tell me what's mean 'yoroshiku onegai itashimasu' and 'yoroshiku onegaishimasu'?well, i know some kind of sentences like 'dooitashimashite',hajimemashite,dozoyouroshiku,oyasuminasai and bla...bla....and what is not good is my computer doesn't process in japanese :(so, i really hope that someone can help me.hajimemashite.watashi wa nabilah desu.dozoyouroshiku!and,if anybody want to send me messages,writing in romaji,could you please write the translation in english?and in the bracket.now,you see.i'm really not good in japanese till somebody must write the translation.but,i really want to learn japanese.it's my dream since i'm little.okay,sayounara and arigatou gozaimashita! :D
Stop talking as if u know me..-YUI
nabilahforever

Postby Wakannai » Sun 11.18.2007 4:55 am

First: Don't hijack threads.
Second: If you're going to post, at least be coherent.
Wakannai

Postby HarajukuxBoy » Sat 11.24.2007 8:34 pm

Ya I heard Genki was a good series.Also,Japanese for Everyone(I think thats what its called) is good also,at least what I've heard.I ordered Genki and it should be in my hands in a few days,so ya.And a good "survival,conversational" type textbook is the Japanese For Busy People series,I have volume I and its fairly good if your trying to learn conversational Japanese and phrases,and such. :)
HarajukuxBoy

Postby HarakoMeshi » Sat 11.24.2007 9:08 pm

I like Japanese for Everyone. From what I have read it has similar coverage to both Genki I and II together. It's cheaper than Genki if that matters to you. JfE is more self study oriented, and Genki seems to be more suitable for College and is best learned with a teacher.
Last edited by HarakoMeshi on Sun 11.25.2007 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarakoMeshi

Postby succubus » Sun 11.25.2007 8:17 am

I think one of the biggest textbook arguments is between Genki and Minna No Nihongo (Japanese for Everyone). They're both pretty good.

I started studying using Japanese for Busy People, but I didn't find it nearly as good as either of the other two. Good for a bunch of quick phrases though.
succubus

Postby hungryhotei » Sun 11.25.2007 8:51 am

Japanese for Everyone isn't actually the same book as Minna no Nihongo.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby clay » Sun 11.25.2007 10:20 am

I never connected the two names before, but I wonder who copied whom? Minna no Nihongo and Japanese for Everyone :)
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips