Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dictionary and The Choices.

Dictionary and The Choices.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Dictionary and The Choices.

Postby TaintedWisdom » Tue 11.27.2007 8:04 pm

Hi,
First a quick introduction as this is my first post after all :P
I'm a med student, work in graphic designs, and more importantly started taking Japanese classes Fall of 2007.

While the pace could be considered slow, is a class I am taking for myself therefore, is expected I put a lot of effort and try to learn more than is being thought.

Well, on to the question.

I have come to the conclusion is time I buy an electronic dictionary.
While I'm a research and shop around guy due to my grueling schedule is not exactly easy to read everyones page (goes to show the e-dictionary subject is quite hot and popular). However, don't get me wrong I have put some serious hours into what could be the best option for me considering all the factors, which include but are not limited to: (from most to least important)
-Long Term Use (has everything now and during advance Japanese + future)
-Size
-Ease of Use (Stylus could be very important)
-Cost

I have stumbled upon multiple suggestions from Nintendo DS, to Palm/PDA's.

Right now I'm pretty much at a lost and the multitude of products are there don't help either hehe.

If some of you who own one of these devices and could give a helping hand I would be more than grateful.

Thank You Very Much
-TW
TaintedWisdom

RE: Dictionary and The Choices.

Postby chikara » Tue 11.27.2007 8:27 pm

I have a Canon Wordtank V80 and am very happy with it.

You will get plenty of differing opinions though.

This thread may be of interest.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby TaintedWisdom » Tue 11.27.2007 9:03 pm

Thanks for the reply Chikara.
Had to read that entire thread which was mostly the making of "dream" e-dictionary and not exactly one out there. However, I was able to get 2 links from it which I got to read.

Here they are for those who in the future might be asking a similar question to mines.
http://nihongonotto.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... aries.html
http://www.japaneselanguagetools.com/complete.html

Overall the Casio XD-GW9600 is by far an amazing machine however, the one reason I don't want to go with this choice is its size. Yes it has some amazing features, but at its prices the size is simply to large for my taste.

Has Anyone tried the V300? How does it compare to the V80?
How about its size?
Or How About Casio EX-word XD-SW6500?

Keep the suggestions and ideas coming please.
Thank You Very Much, Appreciate It.
-TW
Last edited by TaintedWisdom on Tue 11.27.2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TaintedWisdom

Postby chikara » Tue 11.27.2007 9:52 pm

TaintedWisdom wrote:
... Had to read that entire thread which was mostly the making of "dream" e-dictionary and not exactly one out there. ...

Sorry, maybe this thread is more appropriate.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby TaintedWisdom » Tue 11.27.2007 10:02 pm

chikara wrote:
TaintedWisdom wrote:
... Had to read that entire thread which was mostly the making of "dream" e-dictionary and not exactly one out there. ...

Sorry, maybe this thread is more appropriate.

It seems the V80 is a popular choice.
Only downside I'm noticing is the weak J-E.

I'm currently looking into the PDA/Hanheld PC alternative.
Is it true it can surpass even the most expensive e-dictionaries?
If so, does someone here run one of these?
Any specific PDA which stands out from the rest when it comes to being made into a dictionary.

Thanks.
-TW
TaintedWisdom

Postby Kuri » Wed 11.28.2007 8:00 am

Can I ask a naiive question? Why not paper?

I've been happy with my 新明解 国語辞典, I can look up any word I want in about 3-5 seconds and it hasn't failed me yet.

But maybe you're looking for a 漢字字典, I use 講談社 for that.. Also paper back. But honestly, the hastle it is too look up kanji, there's usually somebody I can just ask.
Kuri

Postby TaintedWisdom » Wed 11.28.2007 7:11 pm

Kuri wrote:

I've been happy with my 新明解 国語辞典, I can look up any word I want in about 3-5 seconds and it hasn't failed me yet.

But maybe you're looking for a 漢字字典, I use 講談社 for that.. Also paper back. But honestly, the hastle it is too look up kanji, there's usually somebody I can just ask.

Yeah thats why I want something with a stylus to facilitate the Kanji lookup.
TaintedWisdom

Postby chikara » Wed 11.28.2007 7:28 pm

Kuri wrote:
...... the hastle it is too look up kanji, there's usually somebody I can just ask.

But what do you do when there is no one to ask?

There are "paper" (also known as "hard copy") kanji dictionaries that enable you to look up unknown kanji. I personally use the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary.

My electronic dictionary is a lot lighter than carrying a kanji dictionary and a J-E/E-J dictionary when travelling and its hand writing interface can make the looking up of unknown kanji quicker than using the SKIP method. My electronic dictionary also supports multiple radical lookup.
chikara

Postby TaintedWisdom » Wed 11.28.2007 9:24 pm

chikara wrote:
Kuri wrote:
...... the hastle it is too look up kanji, there's usually somebody I can just ask.

There are "paper" (also known as "hard copy") kanji dictionaries that enable you to look up unknown kanji. I personally use the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary.

My electronic dictionary is a lot lighter than carrying a kanji dictionary and a J-E/E-J dictionary when travelling and its hand writing interface can make the looking up of unknown kanji quicker than using the SKIP method. My electronic dictionary also supports multiple radical lookup.

Yep, totally agree.
Not only is it harder to look up stuff (at least for me) on a regular paper dictionary but is very bulky + heavy.
TaintedWisdom

Postby atreya » Thu 11.29.2007 1:25 pm

TaintedWisdom wrote:
It seems the V80 is a popular choice.
Only downside I'm noticing is the weak J-E.

I'm currently looking into the PDA/Hanheld PC alternative.
Is it true it can surpass even the most expensive e-dictionaries?
If so, does someone here run one of these?
Any specific PDA which stands out from the rest when it comes to being made into a dictionary.

Thanks.
-TW

Hmmm, Even I am facing the same problem at the moment, lot of dictionaries to choose from but I am thinking of just getting the PDA one at japaneselanguagetools.com, what do you think?
atreya

Postby Clochi » Thu 11.29.2007 3:30 pm

Good to see you get some help TW.
(I am the guy from youtube:) )
Clochi

Postby TaintedWisdom » Thu 11.29.2007 10:57 pm

Hmmm, Even I am facing the same problem at the moment, lot of dictionaries to choose from but I am thinking of just getting the PDA one at japaneselanguagetools.com, what do you think?

Yeah I imagined I wasn't the only one.
There are so many choices out there and on top of that 100's of site regarding the topic which just end up not helping. Someone needs to make a clear and concise page regarding these dictionaries hehe.

As for the PDA dictionary, it sounds like a good idea however, he is basically charging 300 bucks for the applications (cause you can get that same PDA brand new for about 200 bucks) but instead he sells it for 500. Maybe I'm not getting the whole picture as they say, but unless it comes with something else (and some other 3rd party applications which cost money and aren't free like many of the dictionary which come installed) then I don't see why it should be 500 bucks.

Clochi, thanks for guiding me to this site hehe.

-TW
TaintedWisdom

Postby atreya » Thu 11.29.2007 11:14 pm

Yeah I imagined I wasn't the only one.
There are so many choices out there and on top of that 100's of site regarding the topic which just end up not helping. Someone needs to make a clear and concise page regarding these dictionaries hehe.

As for the PDA dictionary, it sounds like a good idea however, he is basically charging 300 bucks for the applications (cause you can get that same PDA brand new for about 200 bucks) but instead he sells it for 500. Maybe I'm not getting the whole picture as they say, but unless it comes with something else (and some other 3rd party applications which cost money and aren't free like many of the dictionary which come installed) then I don't see why it should be 500 bucks.

Clochi, thanks for guiding me to this site hehe.

-TW

Hmmm, are you talking about the PDA with the English OS or the Japanese OS? I can't seem to find the Windows Mobile (Japanese OS) PDA in PriceJapan or japanshop, or maybe I am not looking at the right place... And I know 500 is a bit pricey, but hacking an English OS Windows Mobile after spending 200$+ doesn't seem like a good idea to me since I am a bit scared that I might break the device.

And the Zaurus looks promising as well...
Last edited by atreya on Thu 11.29.2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atreya

Postby Chris Hart » Thu 11.29.2007 11:29 pm

atreyaさん
there is no need to be afraid of adding Japanese support to the English version of Windows Mobile. If you some-how screw the operating system up, a simple hard-reset will put the decice back to how it came from the factory. Adding Japanese support just involves adding a few cab files. (if you want, I can e-mail them. PM me.) I would say that probably about half of my posts here in the last 6 mos were done from my WM5 PDA.

Afterthought:
If you are buying a new PDA, you might want to make sure it has a VGA display. the IME fits the screen better on those devices. My PDA has a QVGA display, and in kanji input mode, they are partially off the screen on the sides (in either landscape, or worse, portrait modes), and in landscape mode, they take most of the height as well. As far as I know, the VGA models don't have that problem.
Last edited by Chris Hart on Thu 11.29.2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby Kuri » Fri 11.30.2007 2:21 am

chikara wrote:
Kuri wrote:

^^ well the, "usually I just ask somebody" was mostly to emphasize my laziness.

I do what everyone does, look it up by 部首 and 画数. And no, it really isn't a hassle... still, you do have to open a book... and those things are heavy!

EDIT

Btw, why do you need to look up kanji while traveling ^^? I mean, maybe you can't read many kanji, but uh... like are you carrying classic literature with you for some light reading on the train?

I probably don't even look up 1 kanji a week.
Last edited by Kuri on Fri 11.30.2007 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuri

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips