Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dictionary and The Choices.

Dictionary and The Choices.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Dictionary and The Choices.

Postby chikara » Fri 11.30.2007 2:42 am

Kuri wrote:
..... why do you need to look up kanji while traveling ^^? I mean, maybe you can't read many kanji, but uh... like are you carrying classic literature with you for some light reading on the train?

I probably don't even look up 1 kanji a week.

Why do I need to look up kanji?
I don't know all of the kanji so when I come across one I don't know I look it up and hence increase my knowledge of kanji.

Why do I need to this when travelling?
Have you ever travelled around Japan.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby atreya » Fri 11.30.2007 5:48 am

Chris Hart wrote:
atreyaさん
there is no need to be afraid of adding Japanese support to the English version of Windows Mobile. If you some-how screw the operating system up, a simple hard-reset will put the decice back to how it came from the factory. Adding Japanese support just involves adding a few cab files. (if you want, I can e-mail them. PM me.) I would say that probably about half of my posts here in the last 6 mos were done from my WM5 PDA.

Afterthought:
If you are buying a new PDA, you might want to make sure it has a VGA display. the IME fits the screen better on those devices. My PDA has a QVGA display, and in kanji input mode, they are partially off the screen on the sides (in either landscape, or worse, portrait modes), and in landscape mode, they take most of the height as well. As far as I know, the VGA models don't have that problem.

chris hartさん
Well, if the whole thing works out to be cheaper than the complete system in japaneselanguagetools.com like taintedwisdomさん said, then it shouldn't be a problem. I did read up on Bagoj's hack and it works only on a few pdas/smartphones apparently. What brand is your device? And can you suggest any good pda/smartphone with a res of 640x480? Thanks :)
atreya

Postby ChickenTeriyakiBoy » Fri 11.30.2007 5:56 am

chikara wrote:
I have a Canon Wordtank V80 and am very happy with it.

That one actually looked very useful but as soon as I saw the price I realized I couldn't afford it.

ごく便利そうで買おうと思ったが高い値段を見たとたんに買えないのを気づいちゃった。 ;−;
Last edited by ChickenTeriyakiBoy on Fri 11.30.2007 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
〜チキン照焼き少年〜

漢字の迫ヘが弱いのでいい教科書のおススメがあればPMで教えて下さいね。 

「これはレモンの匂いですか?」 「いいえ、夏みかんですよ。」
ChickenTeriyakiBoy

Postby Chris Hart » Fri 11.30.2007 11:21 am

atreya wrote:
Chris Hart wrote:
atreyaさん
there is no need to be afraid of adding Japanese support to the English version of Windows Mobile. If you some-how screw the operating system up, a simple hard-reset will put the decice back to how it came from the factory. Adding Japanese support just involves adding a few cab files. (if you want, I can e-mail them. PM me.) I would say that probably about half of my posts here in the last 6 mos were done from my WM5 PDA.

Afterthought:
If you are buying a new PDA, you might want to make sure it has a VGA display. the IME fits the screen better on those devices. My PDA has a QVGA display, and in kanji input mode, they are partially off the screen on the sides (in either landscape, or worse, portrait modes), and in landscape mode, they take most of the height as well. As far as I know, the VGA models don't have that problem.

chris hartさん
Well, if the whole thing works out to be cheaper than the complete system in japaneselanguagetools.com like taintedwisdomさん said, then it shouldn't be a problem. I did read up on Bagoj's hack and it works only on a few pdas/smartphones apparently. What brand is your device? And can you suggest any good pda/smartphone with a res of 640x480? Thanks :)

I can't suggest a specific current device, as I have not been in the market for a new one recently, but the people at pdaphonehome can.

I use a (discontinued) Dell Axim X51, that I've had for about a year and a half. I can get the IME to work, there are just some slight issues due to the screen size. The apps that handle IME work, they just jump off screen a bit. Here's a few screenshots. Click the thumbnail for a larger image. Sorry they're so blurry, I used my camera-phone to take them.

Multibox:
ImageImage

Character Autocomplete:
ImageImage

Radical List:
ImageImage

Stroke List:
ImageImage

As far as the dictionary, Pocket Dictionary is free, and uses EDICT. Also, their screenshot shows how the IME should look.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby NocturnalOcean » Fri 11.30.2007 12:16 pm

I am currenty using this one: http://www.sharp.co.jp/papyrus/lineup/p ... index.html

It contains 100 dictionaries, you can write kanji and look them up. I am very pleased with it at least.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Chris Hart » Sat 12.01.2007 12:57 pm

NEWS: You don't need a VGA pda for the IME. Bagoj has released files for QVGA pdas. You start with the VGA files, then copy over the QVGA versions of the files.

See this page for files for both

Edit: Even better, see the FAQ for links directly to the appropriate files, and instructions.
Last edited by Chris Hart on Tue 12.25.2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby atreya » Wed 12.26.2007 9:40 pm

Chris Hart wrote:
NEWS: You don't need a VGA pda for the IME. Bagoj has released files for QVGA pdas. You start with the VGA files, then copy over the QVGA versions of the files.

See this page for files for both

Edit: Even better, see the FAQ for links directly to the appropriate files, and instructions.

Oops, I forgot about this thread... <_< Thanks for your help but I have decided to go for either a tablet pc or a zaurus. :)
atreya

Postby atreya » Wed 01.02.2008 2:02 am

My friend bought this phone recently - http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_p3400-1885.php for 12,409 INR (315 USD). It has WM5.0 , is it possible to load the IME and a good dictionary program.

64 MB RAM, 128 MB ROM- TI OMAP 850, 200 Mhz processor.
Is the processor speed good enough to handle a dictionary application like EBPocket? Is there any other dictionary program which can work properly on this device other than EBPocket?

Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to bump the thread...
Last edited by atreya on Wed 01.02.2008 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
atreya

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips