Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Am I hurrying here?

Am I hurrying here?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Am I hurrying here?

Postby BuddhaGeo » Sat 12.01.2007 4:09 am

Just a question to those that had already studied Japanese.
Is it right to go and learn the Level 4 Kanjis without having no actual knowledge of how to conjugate verbs? Or would it be wiser to learn verb conjugating and then proceed unto the Kanji learning?
I kinda understand how the grammar works in Japanese, and I'm able to construct simple sentences such as "I am here", "He is my friend", "This is my book", but as I've noted, I have no idea how conjugation works yet.
Last edited by BuddhaGeo on Sat 12.01.2007 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddhaGeo

RE: Am I hurrying here?

Postby Ben_a_hunt » Sat 12.01.2007 4:17 am

Personally, I'd start with the simpler things first. In my opinion, Kanji should be one of the later things that you learn, considering Grammar, verb conjugation and things like that are much more useful to understand basic Japanese than Kanji is.

But I'm still pretty new to Japanese, so don't take my post as the perfect answer :p

Anyway, good luck with it!
Ben_a_hunt

Native language: English

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sat 12.01.2007 4:23 am

I don't think you should necessarily rush to learn the level 4 kanji, then again it is not so many. And it can be motivating for your study, to be able to learn and do some kanji. That aside, I recommend you try to get down the basic grammar such as conjugations early on, it needs lots of practice to get familiar and used to it
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.01.2007 4:31 am

Why not get a pedagogically sound textbook and follow that?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby BuddhaGeo » Sat 12.01.2007 4:43 am

I'm really limited when it comes to acquiring certain types of learning books since I reside in the Republic of Georgia, and there is absolutely no interest in Japanese here and therefore complete absence of anything that would help me improve myself in the given language.
So I'm kinda limited to self-education here, unfortunately.
Last edited by BuddhaGeo on Sat 12.01.2007 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddhaGeo

Postby saraLynne » Sat 12.01.2007 4:47 am

I thought Amazon would ship anywhere.
saraLynne

Postby BuddhaGeo » Sat 12.01.2007 4:51 am

You're pretty exaggerating the capabilities of a 17 school student residing in a poverty-struck country :D
BuddhaGeo

Postby saraLynne » Sat 12.01.2007 5:03 am

Have you tried Tae Kim's Guide then? It's pretty close to a free textbook.

Though, if you have internet, surely you family must have some disposable income...? I don't really know anything about the Republic of Georgia, but I AM a firm believer in "Where there's a will, there's a way".

Good luck in your studies!
saraLynne

Postby BuddhaGeo » Sat 12.01.2007 5:19 am

Thanks for the link.
(BTW, the average monthly income in my country is 100$)
:D
BuddhaGeo

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.01.2007 6:23 am

BuddhaGeo wrote:
I'm really limited when it comes to acquiring certain types of learning books since I reside in the Republic of Georgia, and there is absolutely no interest in Japanese here and therefore complete absence of anything that would help me improve myself in the given language.

So was I.

And please allow me to compliment you on your very remarkable English skills.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby BuddhaGeo » Sat 12.01.2007 12:15 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
BuddhaGeo wrote:

So was I.

And please allow me to compliment you on your very remarkable English skills.

You'd be pretty surprised to hear that I handle English at a much higher degree than my native language when it comes to grammar. I've also got an ample supply of words with which I'm able to express my thoughts in English sans any problems, though I wish I were that good in Japanese. That'd be totally awesome.
Last edited by BuddhaGeo on Sat 12.01.2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddhaGeo

Postby Kuri » Sun 12.02.2007 5:43 am

BuddhaGeo wrote:
Is it right to go and learn the Level 4 Kanjis without having no actual knowledge of how to conjugate verbs? Or would it be wiser to learn verb conjugating and then proceed unto the Kanji learning?

Well now, I've certainly never been one for studying so take this with a grain of salt, but here's my two cents.

Is it a good idea to start studying Kanji before you understand grammar/conjugation?

Yes. Kanji is one of the writing systems you need to understand and read Japanese. The earlier you start learning Kanji the better.

I wouldn't even think it was a problem to start learning kanji before you could write ヲ from memory. They're certainly more useful.

And uh... maybe I can add one more suggestion. Trying to be helpful and all, Kuri likes Henshall's A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters. So if you like, pick up a copy.
Kuri

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 12.02.2007 10:32 am

It's not even possible to "learn kanji" before you understand grammar/conjugation -- you can learn things about the kanji, but you can't have a real knowledge of them until you can read them in sentences, and you can't do that without grammar.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Kuri » Sun 12.02.2007 10:56 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
It's not even possible to "learn kanji" before you understand grammar/conjugation

Hmm, now this is problem a matter of symantics but either way I have to disagree entirely.

If I can write a 漢字, I know the 熟語 it shows up in most commonly, I know the 音読み & 訓読み, and 部首 and hell maybe I even read about the 語源 then I know that 漢字 pretty damned well. Even if I can't put it in a single grammatically correct sentence.

But you know, it'll be a hell of a headstart when you start learning grammar if you can actually read things written in Japanese.

EDIT

What sort of restrictions are there to what i can post, lol? I remember a couple days ago I editted out "nip go" in favour of "japanese". But like, is it free posting to how we speak or do I have to use semi-polite language?
Last edited by Kuri on Sun 12.02.2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuri

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 12.02.2007 12:21 pm

To me, functional ability is the only thing that matters. In the end it's not about the number of whatevers that you "know", it's about what you can actually do with the Japanese language.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips