Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Am I hurrying here?

Am I hurrying here?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Am I hurrying here?

Postby richvh » Sun 12.02.2007 3:26 pm

Kuri wrote:
What sort of restrictions are there to what i can post, lol? I remember a couple days ago I editted out "nip go" in favour of "japanese". But like, is it free posting to how we speak or do I have to use semi-polite language?

Write as if you were speaking in a classroom, not as if you were hanging out with your friends. No chatspeak/leetspeak, and as much as possible use correct spelling and grammar. In Japanese, use desu/masu form. Over and beyond that, refer to this thread, especially the first post in it.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Kuri » Sun 12.02.2007 6:10 pm

Thanks for the reply Rich, it'll probably limit my posting ^^. But this is really just a spurt of boredom anyway.

I agree entirely Yudan, functional ability is all that matters. Can I express myself, can I understand others?

And I think the sooner you start tackling 漢字 the easier acquiring a functional linguil ability will be for you.
Hey, so like I\'m not good at formal stuff. Gimme a break, okay
Kuri

Postby latenight2736 » Fri 12.07.2007 3:33 pm

I actually am kind of in the same situation as you (OP) albeit I have had a semester of class. I think that first and foremost kana should be learned fully in and out and a student should have functional use of kana without a problem. After that I think Kanji should be learnt slowly along with grammer/vocab until you have an understanding of how tha kanji fit into the language. By that I mean knowing how the kanji are the roots of the verbs, but kana change the conjugation and the same thing with how kanji fit into adjectives, adverbs and other special cases. After that understanding of kanji I think that one can learn at as fast a pace as possible.

With all that being said you can learn kanji as fast as you want whenever, you'll just have to kind of re-learn them in the places that they go.

good luck
no hesitation, go for it!
latenight2736

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips