Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A complementary book to Remembering the Kanji?

A complementary book to Remembering the Kanji?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

A complementary book to Remembering the Kanji?

Postby System25 » Fri 12.07.2007 4:56 pm

Remembering the Kanji teaches you to remember the meaning and the writing of the kanji. Is there another book that teaches you the readings of the Kanji?

I have searched the web and I have seen this one:

http://www.lulu.com/content/1635336

It's name is "300 Kanji with 10000 words". Anybody knows it? is it good?

Anybody can recommend my a good book to learn the readings of the Kanji?

Thanks
System25

RE: A complementary book to Remembering the Kanji?

Postby Gundaetiapo » Fri 12.07.2007 10:18 pm

[wiki]Textbook[/wiki]s usually contain kanji instruction.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

RE: A complementary book to Remembering the Kanji?

Postby nukemarine » Sat 12.08.2007 1:16 am

System25 wrote:
Remembering the Kanji teaches you to remember the meaning and the writing of the kanji. Is there another book that teaches you the readings of the Kanji?

Anybody can recommend my a good book to learn the readings of the Kanji?

Thanks

Well, technically, you get a very rough meaning on a lot of the Kanji in RTK. For the reading portion of Kanji you can:

Use RTK2, which touches on pronunciation of On and Kun using signal primitives for On and an interesting use of pronunciation image mnemonics for Kun. I think it offers one compound per Kanji it teaches. It's not the most recommended book.

Kanji in Context: seems a bit more advanced to me, as I think they want you to have the equivalent of a 2 semesters of Japanese (limited furigana in the sample sentences). Highly recommended by some.

2001 Kanji Odyssey has come out, providing about 3000 sample sentences for 1100 Kanji. It's in CD and book form.

250 Essential Kanji for Everyday Use: I don't recommend this, as it lacks a lot of contextual punch. The everyday part of it makes for a small part of the book (chapter introductions).

Mainly, I think many will say learn the Kanji pronunciations in context. That means any book that offers sample sentences will exceed ones that just offers readings and compounds only.

Of note: http://www.reviewingthekanji.com will be implementing a section for readings that will also track your On and Kun progress. Since it's not even in Beta yet, I cannot say how good it will end up. But it definately may be something to keep an eye on.
nukemarine

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips