Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Beginners sentences

Beginners sentences

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Beginners sentences

Postby Orcrist » Mon 12.10.2007 10:59 am

Ever since I started studying I've been entering the sentences from every lesson I finished in my texbook into a srs. However I felt the need to verify wether or not I'm still on the right track.
I use it as following:
English question; I'll practice as long untill I give the exact Japanese answer that I have put into the srs.
Japanese question; I don't translate, I just identify the grammar and interpret the general meaning and check it with the translation and move on.
Sometimes I have a hard time coming up with the right Japanese answer, since my textbook doesn't always give a very accurate translation of the sentences.

I was also wondering how I could find more examples of sentences, my textbook is rather limited in providing exercises and I wouldn't mind practicing some grammar that was introduced by my textbook a little bit more.

Examples of the sentences I have added are:

おねえさんは何さいですか。
What age is (your) older sister?

お母さんはおいくつですか。
What age is (your) mother?

けいたいでんわは六階のでんかせいひんうりばにあります。
Mobile phones are in the electronic products counter on the sixth floor.

さらいねん中国にいきます。
I'm going to China the year after next.

すずきさんの会社へどうやって行きますか。
Suzuki-san, how do I get to your company?

もう少し安いのはありませんか。
Don't you have a slightly cheaper one?

よこはまへちゅうかりょうりを食べにいきましょうか。
Shall we go to eat Chinese food in Yokohama?

今田さん、ウォンさんと三人で会いませんか。
Imada-san, what say the two of us get together with Won-san?

明日、イギリスからショートさんが来ますから、くうこうへむかえに行ってください。
Tomorrow Short-san is coming from England, so please go to the airport to meet him.

If you see anything wrong with this please let me know so I can improve it.
Last edited by Orcrist on Mon 12.10.2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

RE: Beginners sentences

Postby yukamina » Mon 12.10.2007 2:12 pm

Personally, I wouldn't go English->Japanese, especially because there's a lot of possible answers, you could come up with something correct the doesn't match the original answer.
yukamina

Postby Orcrist » Tue 12.11.2007 6:21 am

Ah, I actually valued English -> Japanese more since I actually get to produce Japanese myself. But you defenitly make a valid point, I do experience that more and more.

How much can one trust the examples given by WWWJDIC example search by the way?
Orcrist

Postby nukemarine » Tue 12.11.2007 7:15 am

yukamina wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't go English->Japanese, especially because there's a lot of possible answers, you could come up with something correct the doesn't match the original answer.

Obviously, the best is Japanese to Japanese. However OP, do you mean you think the question should be in English with the answer in Japanese? That sounds backwards. I agree with Yukamina here.

For the OP, are you also putting in the kana pronunciations? It's pretty easy to "cheat' and know what a sentence means thanks to the kanji, but that only takes you so far. Here's a couple sentences I used (from Genki, ch. 1)

Q - 留学生ですか。
P - りゅうがくせいですか。
N - 留学生 【りゅうがくせい】 (n) overseas student, (P)
T - (Are you) an international student?

Q - 専門は何ですか。 英語です。
P - せんもんはなんですか。 えいごです。
N1 - 専門 【せんもん】 (n) speciality, specialty, subject of study, expert, (P)
N2 - 何 【なん】 (int,n) what, (P)
N3 - 英語 【えいご】 (n) the English language, (P)
T - What is your major? (My major) is Engish.

So the Q is the question (the sentence is Japanese), while the answer will be the P (pronuciation), N (notes, if needed, including any gramatical) which hopefully become Japanese notes, T (tranlation, in English) which I'll turn off in time as I get better, going only off notes.

The tranlation is least important it seems. Since Japanese is not 1 to 1 English, the translation in fact is just a guide. So long as you: pronounced it correctly, understand what each of the words means and what the sentence as a whole means, you've done your job.

I'm just a beginner, so my notes and translation will be in English. For these, I'm putting in more notes than normal on the idea I'll be sharing these.
Last edited by nukemarine on Tue 12.11.2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
nukemarine

Postby Orcrist » Tue 12.11.2007 10:23 am

nukemarine wrote:
Obviously, the best is Japanese to Japanese. However OP, do you mean you think the question should be in English with the answer in Japanese? That sounds backwards. I agree with Yukamina here.

For the OP, are you also putting in the kana pronunciations? It's pretty easy to "cheat' and know what a sentence means thanks to the kanji, but that only takes you so far. Here's a couple sentences I used (from Genki, ch. 1)

Q - 留学生ですか。
P - りゅうがくせいですか。
N - 留学生 【りゅうがくせい】 (n) overseas student, (P)
T - (Are you) an international student?

Q - 専門は何ですか。 英語です。
P - せんもんはなんですか。 えいごです。
N1 - 専門 【せんもん】 (n) speciality, specialty, subject of study, expert, (P)
N2 - 何 【なん】 (int,n) what, (P)
N3 - 英語 【えいご】 (n) the English language, (P)
T - What is your major? (My major) is Engish.

So the Q is the question (the sentence is Japanese), while the answer will be the P (pronuciation), N (notes, if needed, including any gramatical) which hopefully become Japanese notes, T (tranlation, in English) which I'll turn off in time as I get better, going only off notes.

The tranlation is least important it seems. Since Japanese is not 1 to 1 English, the translation in fact is just a guide. So long as you: pronounced it correctly, understand what each of the words means and what the sentence as a whole means, you've done your job.

I'm just a beginner, so my notes and translation will be in English. For these, I'm putting in more notes than normal on the idea I'll be sharing these.

Yes, I ment that having the question in english and me giving the answer in Japanese seemed to be more effective. Especially for getting familiar with certain grammar I found going E - J a lot more effective than J - E. Where in J - E I just identify the grammar, but from E - J I have to come up with the correct grammar myself. However as I progress I do find it getting harder and harder since there are many ways to say something. One of the reasons for this thread, to optimize my method.

And yes, I do put in kana pronounciations for kanji that I do not know very well yet. But I know very little kanji, only learn those that get introduced by my textbook in that context (at the moment I'm at about 85 kanji).

I agree, I'm using the english meaning merely as a guideline. Just got a little lost in what way I should quiz myself.

Today I had ほう as "giving advice" introduced (well longer story of course, but just an example). Next step I try to find some sentences using WWWJDIC:

あなたと一緒に行くほうがいいですか comes up.
I don't know all the kanji, so the kanji that I don't know I replace with kana. So what I end up putting into the srs would be following:

Q- あなたといっしょに行くほうがいいですか
P- あなたといっしょにいくほうがいいですか
N- ほうがいい (exp) better or better not
T- Had I better go with you?

And now I quiz myself exclusively Japanese - English. Reading the sentence out loud, and determine grammar and grasping the general meaning of the sentence?

And how exactly do the questions look like when you go Japanese - Japanese?

Thanks for the advice so far.
Orcrist

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips