Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Complete Master.

Complete Master.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Complete Master.

Postby everdream » Thu 12.13.2007 1:57 pm

I'm looking for a new textbook to learn Japanese. At the moment, I am at about level 4 of JLPT. (now starting level 3)
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this book ( [url=www.thejapanshop.com/product.php?productid=16468&cat=267&page=1"]This one[/url] )
How good would you say it is for self study? And is it a good guide for level 3? Is it good enough as a stand alone book, or are some of the explantions in need of broadening (i.e, through the use of a grammar book)
Last edited by everdream on Thu 12.13.2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

RE: Complete Master.

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 12.13.2007 2:12 pm

I used that book for level 1 grammar and I would say it was fairly helpful, but it's probably not as useful at the lower levels -- I think pre-JLPT 3 you want things that integrate everything into one book rather than separating all the skills.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby everdream » Thu 12.13.2007 5:43 pm

What book would you reccomend for me? (I'm just started JLPT 3 studying) Apart from Genki. (The cheaper, the better, but of course, I know the 'you get what you pay for argument ;) )
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby jt » Thu 12.13.2007 7:55 pm

This is kind of just echoing what Chris said, but I think it's rather pointless to focus on studying for the JLPT at the 4-kyu/3-kyu level. At this level, you're still a beginner, and you'd be much better off concentrating on just building your basic skills with a good textbook -- or ideally, an actual class.
風景が変わり、ルールが変わった
jt

Native language: English

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Thu 12.13.2007 7:59 pm

I used the Kanzen Master for the 2-Kyuu. It wasn't a bad text book, some of the excercises however were rather tedious. Additionally there was a lot of focus on Kanji writing problems, great if thats what you want to learn but as I'm sure you're aware there is no Kanji writing element on the JLPT. Although I too think that focusing your study on the JLPT is a mistake. Passing the JLPT is not a yardstick for mastery, your end goal should be comprehensive understanding and usage.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby kayuu » Fri 12.14.2007 8:03 am

Minna No Nihongo series is good imo, you can get books that cover everything from reading to listening to kanji but it can get quite expensive buying so many different exercise books and CDs >_< I think it's one of the most comprehensive beginner/intermediate books out there though as far as I can tell.

I think books I and II cover everything in JLPT 3 and 4 and then some.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby latenight2736 » Fri 12.14.2007 8:52 pm

I've heard Minna no Nihongo is good, but if you're already using genki I would say stay with that. I don't have any experience with supplementary books, but I would say the best thing to do (I am assuming you want to learn faster) is to just study really hard and try to go through Genki II quickly, but thoroughly.
A textbook is made to be the only book to use because it ncludes everything, but if you are self-studying the stuff you probably need to supplement is speaking/listening, not the things that you can study by just reading through the textbook.
no hesitation, go for it!
latenight2736

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips