Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Well, hello.

Well, hello.

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Well, hello.

Postby Hinoeuma » Sat 01.30.2010 4:33 am

I never know what to say in these things.

Well. I'm a 40(ish) hotel night shift worker who, about a year ago, decided that I could put some of my copious free time to good use and study Japanese. At first this was because some of my favorite music is Japanese, but now it's because I genuinely enjoy the language just for itself. It has a wonderful logical sense to me that many other languages I've considered seemed to lack.

I know the kana and have, to this point, focused almost exclusively on grammar. I've found the Dictionary of Basic Grammar and many of Kodansha's grammar books to be extremely helpful. At the moment, I'm focusing on verb and adjective conjugations.

Anyway, I've been studying entirely solo for about a year, although I occasionally post at Tae Kim's forum, and thought it would be good to become more involved in an active learning community. So, here I am! :)
Hinoeuma

Native language: English

Re: Well, hello.

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 01.30.2010 10:23 am

Welcome and have a great stay!
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby phreadom » Sat 01.30.2010 11:27 am

Welcome Hinoeuma-san! :)

I also decided to pick up Japanese "later in life" (heading toward 40 myself), and I'm really enjoying it so far. :D I've got all the kana down, and maybe around 130 kanji by general meaning... but I don't know most of the pronunciations yet etc... I'm working a bit on grammar but mostly just doing vocabulary drills these days when I'm not busy working. :)

Progress is progress! :D Glad to have you here. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 01.30.2010 8:48 pm

Hello and welcome! Good luck in your studies and I hope you'll enjoy the site and the forum!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Hinoeuma » Thu 02.11.2010 8:33 am

Thank you for your welcome! I would ahve replied sooner, but I have to sneak online at work.

Phreadom- yeah, audio can be a problem. I'm trying to find a way to listen to streaming on-line Japanese radio stations without spending a fortune for an I-touch or similar.
Hinoeuma

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Thu 02.11.2010 9:47 am

Hinoeuma wrote:Phreadom- yeah, audio can be a problem. I'm trying to find a way to listen to streaming on-line Japanese radio stations without spending a fortune for an I-touch or similar.

http://www.simulradio.jp/ :music:

You might check that out for actual streaming Japanese radio. :) I'm sure others here might have some other good links as well, but that's the only one I knew of off the top of my head. :think:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Miaow » Wed 03.31.2010 9:08 pm

Hinoeuma wrote:Phreadom- yeah, audio can be a problem. I'm trying to find a way to listen to streaming on-line Japanese radio stations without spending a fortune for an I-touch or similar.

Welcome, Hinoeuma-san!

Computers aside, I can recommend an awesome device called the Roku Soundbridge (http://www.rokulabs.com). You hook it up to your computer network, directly to Ethernet or wirelessly, and you can get Thousands of Internet radio stations from all over the world, without having your computer on. Some of the Japanese stations are talk, so one can start to develop an ear for natural spoken Japanese.

I have the lowest-end model, the Soundbridge 500 (that works only with direct Ethernet and WEP (not WAP), but there are more recent models that support WAP.

There's also a smartphone app called Pocket-Tunes from a company called NormSoft (I think that's it). I use a Palm Centro, so I'm not certain if it runs on other phones. (I'll check.)

Hope this info helps, and again, Welcome! This is a fun corner of the 'Net!
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Return to Introductions