Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes : 8

Hello

Postby Serenova1987 » Mon 03.08.2010 4:42 pm

Hi everyone.

Just thought I'd pop in and say 'Hello' to everyone and post a little about myself.

I've had an interest in Japanese since a very young age. I even got to go to Japan in April of 2008 for approximately 10 days. I had the time of my life in Japan. And there was barely any Anime or Manga on the trip. Yes, we did visit Akihabara in Tokyo, however we focused more on the history of Japan, and visited a lot of shrines and temples along the way.

It was an amazing time and now my goal is to do at least a partial semester studying abroad in Japan. I'm a physics major and Japan has a lot of extremely good scientists and very good schools.

Anyways, that's a short blurb about me, feel free to message me or contact me if you want to chat or if you have advice or want to know more about my trip.

-Serenova
Serenova1987

Native language: English

Re: Hello

Postby phreadom » Mon 03.08.2010 4:50 pm

Welcome to TJP! :D

I'm envious of your experiences... I have yet to make a trip to Japan (or sadly anywhere else outside of the continental US for that matter)... but hopefully within a few years I will have the time and resources to enable and afford such a trip. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby chikara » Mon 03.08.2010 7:23 pm

TJPへようこそ :)

Serenova1987 wrote:.... And there was barely any Anime or Manga on the trip. ......

:shock:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Serenova1987 » Mon 03.08.2010 7:51 pm

chikara wrote:TJPへようこそ :)

Serenova1987 wrote:.... And there was barely any Anime or Manga on the trip. ......

:shock:

Thank you for the welcome. And no, there wasn't a lot of anime or manga, it was a history class, though we did go to Tokyo Disney and Tokyo DisneySea while we were there (that was really fun).
Serenova1987

Postby chikara » Mon 03.08.2010 9:09 pm

Serenova1987 wrote:.... And no, there wasn't a lot of anime or manga, it was a history class, though we did go to Tokyo Disney and Tokyo DisneySea while we were there ....

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. :blush:

I wasn't shocked that there wasn't a lot of anime or manga on your trip just that you thought it worthy of a mention :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Serenova1987 » Mon 03.08.2010 11:03 pm

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. :blush:

I wasn't shocked that there wasn't a lot of anime or manga on your trip just that you thought it worthy of a mention :P

Sorry, I didn't realize you were being sarcastic. it's fine though, and I though it was worth mention because so many people seem to think that that's all there is to Japan and I was trying to show that I'm not like that. That I have a genuine interest in the people and the culture and not just what popular in the US.
Serenova1987

Postby chikara » Mon 03.08.2010 11:59 pm

Serenova1987 wrote:.... I though it was worth mention because so many people seem to think that that's all there is to Japan ....

Exactly. I'm glad you see it differently :)

Do you have an interest in any particular area of physics? One of my brothers is an astro physists and spent some time working at the University of Tokyo.

Good luck with your Japanese studies.

がんばって
chikara

Postby Serenova1987 » Tue 03.09.2010 12:43 am

chikara wrote:Do you have an interest in any particular area of physics? One of my brothers is an astro physists and spent some time working at the University of Tokyo.

Believe it or not, that's the field I'm interested in. I started off with a book about string theory and the universe when I was about 12 ("Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku) and have just kept reading since then.
Serenova1987

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 03.10.2010 12:36 am

Hello and Welcome to TJP.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Japan and I wish you luck in your future studies. :D
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Serenova1987 » Wed 03.10.2010 10:13 am

Thank you! I think I'm going to need the luck :P
Serenova1987

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 03.11.2010 12:14 am

Serenova1987 wrote: ("Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku)

I *love* Michio Kaku. He came and spoke at my college when I was a senior.
I keep thinking that my company should invite him for our Science Cafe Seminars..
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Serenova1987 » Thu 03.11.2010 1:27 am

Harisenbon wrote:
I *love* Michio Kaku. He came and spoke at my college when I was a senior..

I'm jealous, I would love to see him talk. I wish I got the science channel because he hosts a show on there. I wish I could meet him too, tell him that he set off my love for Physics.

The college I'm at (a 2 year) doesn't even have a Physics class, the closes I could get would be Chemistry or Biology. Can't wait to transfer and do Physics at my next college.
Serenova1987

Return to Introductions