Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby burningmice » Sun 04.04.2010 1:04 am

Hey, I've always wanted to learn to read, write and speak Japanese. I Japanese culture and everything about Japan fascinating, it's just so interesting and different than life here in North America. I plan to visit Japan in the future as well.
Right now I'm really trying to get Hiragana down and becoming comfortable with it. My current goal is to be able to identify all hiragana characters on sight like I can with the Roman alphabet.
However, this is my second attempt at this. I think if I can immerse myself in the community and hopefully find a few people to learn with it will help me to push myself and never give up. This is something I truly would love to learn.

If anyone has tips on keeping inspiration or is able to offer help I'm all for it! Looking forward to a hard, but satisfying journey.
burningmice
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue 02.10.2009 9:29 pm

Re: Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 04.04.2010 5:22 am

Hello and Welcome to TJP! Good luck with your studies! :mrgreen:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby Nakagawa Izumi » Sun 04.04.2010 5:27 am

TJPへようこそ!日本語を勉強するがんばってください! :D
中川 泉 です. どうぞ よろしく.
User avatar
Nakagawa Izumi
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon 03.29.2010 10:01 am
Native language: English

Re: Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby Sairana » Sun 04.04.2010 8:27 am

Welcome to TJP!

burningmice wrote:My current goal is to be able to identify all hiragana characters on sight like I can with the Roman alphabet.
However, this is my second attempt at this.


This sounds like it's your goal before you try to learn any other Japanese.... not a good idea, imho.
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby tydin » Sun 04.04.2010 9:31 am

Welcome! If you want to learn hiragana/katakana quickly this website (www.realkana.com) can do wonders. Although it is a simple flash card website, along with daily practice you should have hiragana down in a week. Learn a few characters a day. Best of luck!
Hiragana 100%
Katakana 100%
Kanji 68
tydin
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri 03.12.2010 9:05 pm
Native language: English

Re: Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby burningmice » Sun 04.04.2010 9:58 am

Sairana wrote:Welcome to TJP!

burningmice wrote:My current goal is to be able to identify all hiragana characters on sight like I can with the Roman alphabet.
However, this is my second attempt at this.


This sounds like it's your goal before you try to learn any other Japanese.... not a good idea, imho.


I will still be learning other Japanese while striving for this goal.
burningmice
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue 02.10.2009 9:29 pm

Re: Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby Sairana » Mon 04.05.2010 11:03 am

burningmice wrote:
Sairana wrote:Welcome to TJP!

burningmice wrote:My current goal is to be able to identify all hiragana characters on sight like I can with the Roman alphabet.
However, this is my second attempt at this.


This sounds like it's your goal before you try to learn any other Japanese.... not a good idea, imho.


I will still be learning other Japanese while striving for this goal.


Oh, good. Some people think they need to be experts at hiragana and/or katakana before moving on, and that's like setting yourself up for failure. :P It's so much easier to get good at reading and writing while learning the language as a whole.
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby burningmice » Thu 04.08.2010 9:29 pm

I was wondering what everyone would recommend learning first outside of hiragana, right now I'm following this site which was recommended to me a while ago: http://www.timwerx.net/language/jpverbs/
burningmice
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue 02.10.2009 9:29 pm

Re: Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby chikara » Thu 04.08.2010 9:51 pm

That site is very good for learning verb conjugations, and I use it as a reference myself, but rather than dive into all of the verb conjugations first up you should probably learn some basic grammar so you can actually construct sentences. The Fast Track: 100 Grammar Points on this site is a good start.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: Hello, looking to learn Japanese.

Postby burningmice » Thu 04.15.2010 9:11 pm

Thank you for the link. I'm going through those now seems to make more sense to do this stuff first.
burningmice
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue 02.10.2009 9:29 pm


Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests