Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New guy from Georgia (USA)

New guy from Georgia (USA)

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

New guy from Georgia (USA)

Postby humbledsoul5121 » Thu 04.29.2010 12:27 am

Hello everyone. My name is Joshua and I live on the outskirts of Atlanta, GA in the USA. My native language is English (American) but I'd like to learn to read, write, and speak Japanese as I've been fascinated with certain aspects of their culture for many years. I've been looking at this site for about a week now and I wanted to join to make a few friends, help, and get help if I get stuck in my studies. I'm currently working on learning Hiragana, then to the best of my knowledge I should learn Katakana then get into Kanji. So far I've made it to the S line in the Hiragana without much difficulty but I'm doing my best to take my time and not rush through the lessons. Doing things correctly is more important than speed in my mind. Thank you for reading my introduction and I'm hopeful that I can assist others while I'm learning myself. Have a good day! :)
humbledsoul5121

Native language: English

Re: New guy from Georgia (USA)

Postby chikara » Thu 04.29.2010 3:23 am

TJP e youkoso :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby humbledsoul5121 » Wed 05.05.2010 4:46 pm

chikara wrote:TJP e youkoso :)

Sorry I don't understand what you're saying and Google Translate didn't help me either.. Thank you for replying though.
humbledsoul5121

Postby chikara » Thu 05.06.2010 1:19 am

humbledsoul5121 wrote:Sorry I don't understand what you're saying and Google Translate didn't help me either.. Thank you for replying though.

You may find Jim Breen's WWWJDICT a useful resource. You can use it to look up Japanese words in romaji, for example youkoso. :)

Google Translate wouldn't work because I wrote that in romaji. It correctly translates TJPへようこそ, however I would not recommend using Google Translate or any other machine based translator for Japanese to English translations.

ganbatte :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby humbledsoul5121 » Thu 05.06.2010 1:27 am

Thank you for the advice and encouragement. I should have picked up on the romaji, don't know why I didn't. Also I bookmarked that site you recommended me; I'm sure it'll come in handy.
humbledsoul5121

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 05.06.2010 9:40 pm

Hello and Welcome to TJP!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Musiflare » Tue 05.11.2010 12:19 pm

Welcome to TJP! :D

I've been lurking on this board for several years, but I don't post all that much (seeing how low my post count is...), but it has been really helpful for me, and I hope it can do the same for you!

And I'm also from Georgia, so Japanese-studying Georgians unite, or something. :P
Musiflare

Native language: 英語

Postby humbledsoul5121 » Wed 05.12.2010 12:53 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Hello and Welcome to TJP!

Musiflare wrote:Welcome to TJP! :D

I've been lurking on this board for several years, but I don't post all that much (seeing how low my post count is...), but it has been really helpful for me, and I hope it can do the same for you!

And I'm also from Georgia, so Japanese-studying Georgians unite, or something. :P

Thank you both for the welcoming.

How far along are you in learning Japanese, Musiflare? By the way I live in Paulding county if that gives you an idea of my whereabouts. It's nice to know someone else on here is in Georgia.

Thank you both again and if I can help or if you just want to chat let me know. Have a good one.
humbledsoul5121

Postby LegendDK » Wed 05.12.2010 2:51 pm

Welcome! ^^ I'm new here too :colonthree:
LegendDK

Native language: Danish, English

Postby Musiflare » Wed 05.12.2010 9:25 pm

humbledsoul5121 wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:Hello and Welcome to TJP!

Musiflare wrote:Welcome to TJP! :D

Thank you both for the welcoming.

How far along are you in learning Japanese, Musiflare? By the way I live in Paulding county if that gives you an idea of my whereabouts. It's nice to know someone else on here is in Georgia.

Thank you both again and if I can help or if you just want to chat let me know. Have a good one.

Oh, yes, I know where that is! I used to have a friend from there. I live over in Athens, though. As for Japanese, I just finished my 3000-level at UGA, but I do a lot of self-studying so I'm just below JLPT-2 level right now.
Musiflare

Native language: 英語

Return to Introductions