Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - はじめまして

はじめまして

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

はじめまして

Postby kimmiechan » Tue 06.01.2010 11:03 pm

はじめまして。私の名前わキミチャン。どうぞよろしく。

Hi, the name's kimmiechan, and here's hoping the line above says something equivalent (by all means correct me if anything is off, this is the first time I've used japanese input on my computer, and it was a touch unnerving that it autofilled kanji for me). I have been trying to learn Japanese for a while now, and I believe I have a pretty good grasp of some of the basics surrounding vocab and grammar. I have pretty much learned hiragana, still working on katakana, and have begun working on elementary kanji (I have 1-10 and 100 memorized, plus a few odd ones out).

While what first got me into learning about the japanese culture was anime and manga, I eventually grew to love the culture and language itself. So I am trying to make a concerted effort to continue learning the language with the eventual goal of taking the JLPT. I know it's not going to be easy.

One of the things that I have been sorely lacking in my practice is person to person conversation. I live in a little town quite a distance from any japanese language courses and I don't personally know any native speakers. I am hoping that I'll be able to fill that gap here. Unfortunately I have only basic understanding of the language so far, but I will try my best to contribute where I can.

Thanks again in advance!
ありがとうございます!
kimmiechan

Native language: English

Re: はじめまして

Postby chikara » Wed 06.02.2010 2:30 am

TJPへようこそ  :)

kimmiechan wrote:はじめまして。私の名前わキミチャン。どうぞよろしく。

Hi, the name's kimmiechan, and here's hoping the line above says something equivalent (by all means correct me if anything is off ......

The particle "wa" is written as "ha", は. Your katakana reads "kimichan" not "kimmiechan". Since you are just introducing yourself that sentence should also have ended in "desu", です.

私の名前はキッミエチャンです

On a side note, "Japanese" is written with a capital "J".

がんばって  :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Re: はじめまして

Postby kimmiechan » Wed 06.02.2010 7:54 pm

ありがとうございました. I totally forgot to put the です into that sentence, and I had in mind the romaji "wa" when I was typing so it came out as the Japanese character わ and not は, as it should have been. I'll have to pay more attention to that. I put my name as キミチャン and not キミエチャン because the previous one seemed like it would be closer to the pronunciation I wanted for my name.

Thank you again!
kimmiechan

Native language: English

Return to Introductions