Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hello, all.

Hello, all.

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hello, all.

Postby Satsunokarasu » Sun 06.06.2010 7:41 pm

Firstly, please excuse the lack of Japanese input. I've recently moved on to Windows 7 and have yet to configure the IME. I'm also terrible at this sort of thing. I never know what to post, so far as what's relevant/what the average reader cares to sift through, and I'm also somewhat verbose at times. Forgive me.

Moving on, I suppose I should start with my name, or pseudonym rather. SatsuNoKarasu is (hopefully) a bit of a pun. I'm a huge fan of The Raven, by Edgar Poe and for some morbid reason, I enjoy the fact that more than one is referred to as a murder, rather than a flock. So, yeah, Satsu(i) no Karasu, or murder of ravens. Satsui, to my knowledge is the intent to murder, rather than the actual verb, but feel free to correct me. It sounded better? O.o; It's a bit late to change it, but knowing would be nice. >.>; Anyway, I digress. So far as my experience goes, I've spent a lot of time with the language, and linguistically I'm very familiar with it. However, so far as actual use goes, I kind of suck. I can read and write hiragana, and I did know the katakana, as well, although I never used them often and have since forgotten quite a few. My vocabulary is pretty weak, so far as just knowing words, although when I hear one I've spent some time with, it seems to click. I can make simple sentences, use tense to some extent and understand written Japanese, so long as I can look up any kanji. I've just started trying to learn those. Basically, everything I've learned has been gained through studying the way the language works, but the more I've researched it, the more I've desired to learn the usage bit. Japan has always infatuated me culturally and historically, and through that I came to like anime and video games. I don't watch much anime anymore, and the majority of the games I play are more western-oriented, but I have come to listen to Japanese pop, rock and enka almost exclusively in my daily life. So much so that even though I don't understand a lot of it, the language itself doesn't even sound foreign to me anymore. Erm, now I'm rambling. >.<;

To finish up and spare everyone the wall of text: The community here seems to be very pleasant, and I hope to become an active, contributing member. I'm not sure how much help I can offer others, but I hope I can be at least as helpful to them as hopefully others are to me. I do have questions, but I'll save them for my next post.
Satsunokarasu

Native language: English

Re: Hello, all.

Postby Snowflake » Mon 06.07.2010 9:49 am

Hello there, Satsunokarasu! Interesting story about your name -- thanks for sharing! I agree with your observation -- this community is pleasant and very supportive. Have fun with your studies!
Snowflake

Postby Figurethree » Mon 06.07.2010 1:45 pm

Out of curiosity, why did you drop the い in 殺意(さつい)? It's a noun as it was. You're right about it being the intent of murder though :3 I think your user name translates closer to "Crows of Murder" or "Murder's Crows." I'd imagine that the unit counter for crows (whatever the heck it is; I can never remember many of them) would translate as what you're looking for. Your name sounds cool anyway, though :D

Edit: Can't spell to save my life if I type too quickly :sweatdrop:
Figurethree

Postby chikara » Mon 06.07.2010 8:19 pm

TJPへようこそ  :)

殺意 (さつい) is "intent to murder", not "murder". You maybe should have used 殺人 (さつじん).

Figurethree wrote:..... I think your user name translates closer to "Crows of Murder" or "Murder's Crows." I'd imagine that the unit counter for crows (whatever the heck it is; I can never remember many of them) would translate as what you're looking for. ......

The unit counter for crows is "bird" or simply "crow". The collective noun for crows is "murder". :)

A group of crows is therefore a "murder of crows".

I am after all an "eater of crows" :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Satsunokarasu » Tue 06.08.2010 5:19 am

I dropped the 'i' because a few games have a limited number of characters when naming the protagonist. (RPGs mostly, but also profiles for other games and such) That, and in an Atlus RPG (Megaten games mostly) your character has a given and a surname, so 'Satsu' is more appealing for me to look at than 'satsui'. Drop the 'i,' the 'no,' and there you have it. ^^ That way if someone does happen to use just the given name, I get Satsu, which admittedly doesn't sound great, but makes a better name than Satsui. At least I have it right, albeit a bit tangled.
Satsunokarasu

Return to Introductions