Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Greetings!

Greetings!

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Greetings!

Postby Vynn » Wed 06.30.2010 4:00 pm

Hello! I am from Washington, and a high school student hoping to expand my knowledge on the Japanese language (and culture) before moving onto college, where I will be studying it there.
Accidentally came across this sight, and it was probably the greatest accident to happen to me in a very long time!
Hoping to get to know a lot of people here, and have a great time learning what I've been hoping to learn for the past 5 years!
Vynn

Native language: English

Re: Greetings!

Postby chikara » Wed 06.30.2010 8:50 pm

TJPへようこそ  :)

Vynn wrote:.... expand my knowledge on the Japanese language (and culture) before moving onto college, where I will be studying it there. .......
...... learning what I've been hoping to learn for the past 5 years!

Does that mean that you are taking Japanese in college but you didn't take it in high school?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby miho-sempai » Wed 06.30.2010 9:34 pm

As far as I know (I live in WA too) none of our high schools offer it.

There are some Japanese schools (at least one) up here, though - one of my best friends is half-Japanese and would go to "Japanese School" on the weekends and study Math, history, Japanese, etc through the Japanese school system in America. Anyways, I think that's only open to Japanese citizens (she's got dual citizenship) and since birth/young childhood, etc.

/rambling.
miho-sempai

Postby Vynn » Wed 06.30.2010 10:27 pm

chikara wrote:Does that mean that you are taking Japanese in college but you didn't take it in high school?

As Miho stated, we don't have that as an option here. The only language that is offered is Spanish, so I have yet to get the chance to be taught anything, other than self study.
Vynn

Postby miho-sempai » Thu 07.01.2010 12:03 am

What general college are you going to? I know of a few CCs that have Japanese classes, but haven't found any universities (least in my general area).

I've never taken a Japanese class - I'm mostly self-teaching. We did have more options than you in high school, though...people could take Spanish, German, French, or ASL.
miho-sempai

Postby Vynn » Thu 07.01.2010 12:38 am

miho-sempai wrote:What general college are you going to? I know of a few CCs that have Japanese classes, but haven't found any universities (least in my general area).

I've never taken a Japanese class - I'm mostly self-teaching. We did have more options than you in high school, though...people could take Spanish, German, French, or ASL.

I am going to be going to Green River Community College. I already looked into their Japanese classes. Looking forward to it, and studying with this site :)
Vynn

Postby chikara » Thu 07.01.2010 3:05 am

Vynn wrote:As Miho stated, we don't have that as an option here. The only language that is offered is Spanish, so I have yet to get the chance to be taught anything, other than self study.

So you're from Washington state and not Washington DC? Not that I know anything about the high school system in either.

Is that fairly much standard to only offer Spanish in high schools in the USA?

Japanese is very common in the school system here, both in primary and high school. Not that it was when I went to school. :(
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Vynn » Fri 07.02.2010 4:19 am

chikara wrote:
Vynn wrote:As Miho stated, we don't have that as an option here. The only language that is offered is Spanish, so I have yet to get the chance to be taught anything, other than self study.

So you're from Washington state and not Washington DC? Not that I know anything about the high school system in either.

Is that fairly much standard to only offer Spanish in high schools in the USA?

Japanese is very common in the school system here, both in primary and high school. Not that it was when I went to school. :(

Yes, I am from Washington State, and not DC.
I don't want to say that it is either common or uncommon, I just go to a very under privileged and poor school, so we can't afford the teachers.
Two of my friends, for instance, have teachers for Japanese.
Vynn

Return to Introductions