Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hi! Bonjour!

Hi! Bonjour!

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hi! Bonjour!

Postby Sefam » Mon 07.19.2010 2:30 am

Hello, I am Sefam, a basement dweller that lives in Quebec, Canada. I am currently 17 years old(18 in September), currently considered bilingual; I am fluent in both French(Native Language) and English(Self-Taught).

I was looking at the opportunity to maybe learn Japanese, and I stumbled across this website. I want to start learning Japanese to learn something new, diversify what I am learning as I don't have and won't have any english classes anymore since I am done with it in college(Finished my first year, thank *insert random divinity here*, I was graded as one of the highest in the english selection scores, yet I learned absolutely nothing from this so-called "superior" english class, in fact, I haven't been learning anything english-wise in english classes because it was so dumbed down under the level I was already), and also because it's one of the things I've been wanting to do for a while, since I'm rather interested in Japanese culture(And also in mangas and video games, of course, what did you expect?). This will be one of the biggest open-ended endeavors I will embark on(Since I am usually used to do stuff for set objectives, like exams and grades, AKA things that can bring consequences), so any advice on self-discipline would be welcome.

I've started my attempt at trying to learn Hiragana, I'm not very far in, if there's any other advice on that, it would be welcome too. I also left my contact info in my profile if anyone is interesting in talking to me.
Sefam

Native language: Francais

Re: Hi! Bonjour!

Postby Snowflake » Mon 07.19.2010 9:56 am

Bonjour, Sefam! (That just about exhausts my French vocab, so don't expect much more :D ).

Glad you're here and hope you enjoy learning Japanese! As for tips regarding hiragana (and katakana), I'm finding flashcards (both paper and electronic) to be very helpful. I also found writing them helpful, especially using an app which lets me finger-write kana on my IPod.

Good luck! Seems you have an aptitude for language, so I'm sure you'll do well!
Snowflake

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Mon 07.19.2010 5:45 pm

Bienvenue!
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Mon 07.19.2010 7:42 pm

TJP e youkoso :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Sefam » Wed 07.21.2010 4:35 am

Thanks guys, I've done up to chapter 6(Hiragana), reviewing with flashcards until I have no fails and doing chapter 7-10 tomorrow ^_^
Sefam

Native language: Francais

Postby phreadom » Wed 07.21.2010 4:53 am

Welcome Sefam-san! :) We've been chatting in the lounge for a few days now, but allow me to "officially" welcome you here as well. :mrgreen:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Return to Introductions