Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Noob on board...

Noob on board...

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Noob on board...

Postby SqEnixFn » Thu 07.29.2010 10:42 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Kevin and I live is Salt Lake City. I am a newcomer to the Japanese language but I am well taught in Russian and French. I'm hoping to take a trip to Japan next year and things are in the works to allow me to work there as well. (I don't want to jinx it!)

Anyways, I hope to become friends with many of you and I hope that I can learn a great deal from all of you and this website. I'm probably pretty typical for a person on here... I read a lot of manga and watch a lot of anime...so I have picked up words here and there but I would really love to be able to read and watch without subs. Plus I'm just drawn to the culture and the sound of the language... i ramble ... anyways good to meet all of you.

If you want to know anything about me, please just ask.
SqEnixFn

Native language: English

Re: Noob on board...

Postby Snowflake » Fri 07.30.2010 11:35 am

Hi there, SqEnixFn! Shall I assume that, given your name, you also want to play games in Japanese? :)
Snowflake

Postby tydin » Fri 07.30.2010 1:42 pm

はじめまして!^^
I hope you find what you are looking for here.
Also, if I may make a suggestion, http://www.realkana.com is a great place to learn hiragana/katakana.
These are the basics of the Japanese writing system.
Hiragana 100%
Katakana 100%
Kanji 68
tydin

Postby ZetaFox » Fri 07.30.2010 3:46 pm

Just be careful with manga and anime. They often use very informal language which you should NOT make a habit of. Just thought I would impart that. Well it's not a bad way to learn if you keep that in mind I guess, as learning a language should be fun to help retention.
ZetaFox

Postby SqEnixFn » Fri 07.30.2010 6:29 pm

Snowflake wrote:Hi there, SqEnixFn! Shall I assume that, given your name, you also want to play games in Japanese? :)

Oh yeah you could say i'm a bit of a gamer too! ;)

Good to meet you Snowflake.
SqEnixFn

Postby SqEnixFn » Fri 07.30.2010 6:33 pm

tydin wrote:はじめまして!^^
I hope you find what you are looking for here.
Also, if I may make a suggestion, http://www.realkana.com is a great place to learn hiragana/katakana.
These are the basics of the Japanese writing system.

Great suggestion, thank you so much for the link! I'll be there quite a bit I think. I like the practice exercises.
SqEnixFn

Postby SqEnixFn » Fri 07.30.2010 6:35 pm

ZetaFox wrote:Just be careful with manga and anime. They often use very informal language which you should NOT make a habit of. Just thought I would impart that. Well it's not a bad way to learn if you keep that in mind I guess, as learning a language should be fun to help retention.

I have heard that before but I'm glad you reminded me of it. I guess i see manga and anime as good exposure to learning new vocabulary and a good way to help solidify common words in my brain.

Are there other forms of media easily available that you would suggest?
SqEnixFn

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 07.30.2010 6:54 pm

Hello and Welcome! TJPへようこそ!
I recommend finding a textbook that you like if you don't already have one. The main ones that people use here I believe are: Genki, Minna no Nihongo, and Japanese for Everyone. :D
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby ZetaFox » Fri 07.30.2010 9:31 pm

SqEnixFn wrote:Are there other forms of media easily available that you would suggest?

Easily available I'm not so sure about, but I'm sure there has to be lots of gold on somewhere like youtube. Try searching for Japanese game shows or news casts where you can observe people speaking naturally, as opposed to someone speaking by script. It's challenging, but a determined learner must persevere.

EDIT: Forgot about this. If your feeling daring, try going to the Japanese version of youtube. All the Japanese media you can dream about. But you won't have the assistance of subs so you may want to think about that as a future endeavor.
If it's reading you want, try deciphering Japanese websites with the aid of Rikai-chan (I worship this plugin to the point you would call me a freak, honestly). But there's a danger in that if you don't have some sort of site advisor, you may innocently walk into a place which may hurt your computer.

These few tidbits helped me tremendously in the area of exposure. However, unless you live in Japan (which like yourself, I do not), this can be difficult.
ZetaFox

Postby SqEnixFn » Sat 07.31.2010 6:44 pm

ZetaFox wrote:
SqEnixFn wrote:Are there other forms of media easily available that you would suggest?

Easily available I'm not so sure about, but I'm sure there has to be lots of gold on somewhere like youtube. Try searching for Japanese game shows or news casts where you can observe people speaking naturally, as opposed to someone speaking by script. It's challenging, but a determined learner must persevere.

EDIT: Forgot about this. If your feeling daring, try going to the Japanese version of youtube. All the Japanese media you can dream about. But you won't have the assistance of subs so you may want to think about that as a future endeavor.
If it's reading you want, try deciphering Japanese websites with the aid of Rikai-chan (I worship this plugin to the point you would call me a freak, honestly). But there's a danger in that if you don't have some sort of site advisor, you may innocently walk into a place which may hurt your computer.

These few tidbits helped me tremendously in the area of exposure. However, unless you live in Japan (which like yourself, I do not), this can be difficult.

That is a good idea ZetaFox I hadn't thought of youtube. I also have an app on my phone that i just downloaded that allows me to read Japanese newspaper. I will give the the Rikai-chan plug in a shot.
SqEnixFn

Postby Tsikura » Sun 08.01.2010 4:47 am

Awesome site there tydin :P

Hey there Mr. SqEnixFn! New here as well and loving the resources on here! You gonna be playing FF14? It's really fun to interact with the japanese players so far in the beta :)
Tsikura

Return to Introductions