Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hi there :)

Hi there :)

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hi there :)

Postby Shidasan » Wed 06.01.2011 8:16 pm

こんばんは everyone! (Not even sure if that is written correctly xD)

I'm Michael, 18, and currently living in Germany. I'll be moving to the US though in less than 4 weeks and because of this rather life-changing event i want to start doing a few things. One of them is to finally start learning Japanese, a language i love, at least to the amount that i can understand Gaki no Tsukai :D
I started with learning the Hiragana (well, currently done aiueon and doing the k's now) and came across this page an hour ago, so i decided to register :)

Tips what i should start learning after Hiragana/Katakana, as i won't be able to access a pc for some time after we move would be very helpful or should i go search on my own? :D

Greetings, Michael/Shidasan
Shidasan

Native language: German, English

Re: Hi there :)

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 06.01.2011 11:22 pm

Welcome. :) Typically the first sentence structures that seem to be taught (after basic greetings and junk) is how to use the three japanese words for "this" and "that" in sentences with some nouns, along with negative/positive/past/present tenses.

E.G. That is a _______. This _____ was a _______. That wasn't _____.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby chikara » Thu 06.02.2011 7:06 am

TJPへようこそ  :wave:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Shidasan » Thu 06.02.2011 11:00 am

Thank you very much :) I've ordered Genki 1 and a Hiragana/Katakana practice book. I've just started the n's and repeating the ones before already get easier, the newer ones are still hard though^^ I guess it'll come with practice and time.

chikara wrote:TJPへようこそ  :wave:

So, without looking up the Kanas i don't know i can roughly translate that to: The Japanese Page (no clue) (no clue) u ko so.
I guess the means: TJP welcomes you? :)
Shidasan

Postby Shidasan » Thu 06.02.2011 11:05 am

Also, sorry for double posting, i haven't found a delete or edit button ^^
My handwriting was always "terrible" for others although i couldn't care less as i can read it. With Kanas it's probably more important. While i was writing the "e" 18 times, i've closed my eyes once and then wrote it. And it was perfect! lol
So, my question is rather. Is it very bad if the Kanas don't look perfect?
Shidasan

Postby phreadom » Thu 06.02.2011 12:39 pm

Shidasan wrote:Thank you very much :) I've ordered Genki 1 and a Hiragana/Katakana practice book. I've just started the n's and repeating the ones before already get easier, the newer ones are still hard though^^ I guess it'll come with practice and time.

chikara wrote:TJPへようこそ  :wave:

So, without looking up the Kanas i don't know i can roughly translate that to: The Japanese Page (no clue) (no clue) u ko so.
I guess the means: TJP welcomes you? :)

Excellent! I really like Genki. :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

Good so far on your guessing. :mrgreen: The two missing ones are へ ('e' the direction particle, otherwise pronounced as 'he' when used as a normal kana 'letter') and よ 'yo'.

From http://thejapanesepage.com/grammar/particles :

へ - 'e' - This is a directional marker. to, toward
example; 東京へいきます。 toukyou e ikimasu (I) am going to Tokyo . ( can also use に; note although this is hiragana he, it is often pronounced as 'e')

So all together you have "TJP e youkoso!", with youkoso being "welcome"... you get "Welcome to TJP!" :dance:

I hope that helps explain that? :)

Shidasan wrote:Also, sorry for double posting, i haven't found a delete or edit button ^^
My handwriting was always "terrible" for others although i couldn't care less as i can read it. With Kanas it's probably more important. While i was writing the "e" 18 times, i've closed my eyes once and then wrote it. And it was perfect! lol
So, my question is rather. Is it very bad if the Kanas don't look perfect?

There's no edit or delete buttons (a little [X] button) up to the right above your posts? :think:

As for your handwriting thing... I think it's fine if they don't look "perfect"... as long as you follow the correct stroke order (and get them basically the right size/shape/proportion or whatever). :) I'm sure someone else can elaborate on that. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Shidasan » Thu 06.02.2011 1:21 pm

haha, wow... not used to seeing it up there xD makes me blind for the obvious, thanks though :D

Also thanks for the translation, finished the h's now and gonna repeat the ones till now a few times before learning new ones :)
There are easy ways to remember how to write some of them, but some are just plain hard to recall from scratch. While using realkana.com i mostly get every Kana, but when seeing the romaji it still takes time till it comes to mind^^

The books should be here on Monday, so i guess i'll have to do something till then^^

Shida

Edit: it definetly works lol - Board index ‹ TJP e Youkoso! (Welcome to TJP!) ‹ Introductions - found this just now xD
Shidasan

Return to Introductions