Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why hello there...

Why hello there...

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Why hello there...

Postby Koomori » Thu 01.24.2013 8:33 am

Good (insert time of day here) everyone! You can all call me, Koomori (the bat, batty, bat, komi - pretty much any variation except 'bat girl' - I dislike that one)... anyway, I've decided to join up because I'll be taking my Japanese study a lot more seriously because I'd like to finally take my JLPT and I thought it's about time I connected with a native speaker and attempted to make some friends.

I sadly do not have many cjoices where I live, as I am kind of quarteted off in a very white community and the closest Asian language is Thai which I readily admit I will never be able to speak. However my heart lies with Japan and I am hoping to make some amazing friends so that I can pass my test, visit Kyoto and seek new opportunities.
ナンバーワンには興味ない。オンリーワンでい続けるだけ ~ ♥
Koomori

Skype chat: mononokomi
Native language: American English

Re: Why hello there...

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Thu 01.24.2013 1:54 pm

TJPへようこそ!
Kyoto's at the top of my list of places to visit in Japan too.
Which level of the JLPT will you be taking? I'm planning to take N1 this year myself. It's been just over a year since I took N2.

If you're in New York city then you're a lot nearer a Japanese community than most people (plus you have both Kinokuniya and BookOff bookstores!) (Of course, if you mean the state, you could be further away from the city than I am... )
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby Koomori » Fri 01.25.2013 3:34 am

I'm sadly not so lucky. I actually live closer to the state capital and there are hardly any bookstores at all around here still worth going to and everything around me is either Chinese owned or Thai - which normally I'd have no problem with but... it's very embarrassing to take your father to a so-called 'authentic' Japanese place thinking you're going to show off your ironclad food ordering skills and speak only Japanese ....just to have the hostess laugh and tell you no one understands you and that they are all in fact not even Japanese themselves.

Good thing Dad thought it was funny and I still managed to talk him into being my travel buddy when I finally do work up the guts to take the test, pass it and go. As for the test... I have no formal schooling in Japanese and few native friends (which is why I am here) so I am aiming eather low and I am working toward the N5 level so I can gain my basic fluency to get me started. My interest is deep though and I've been at it for about six years on my own. I grasp the grammar pretty proficiently but my reading level is...non-measurable (I'm terrible) and I desperately need to build my vocabulary.

To top it all off, I don't even have a clue of what I am studying will even be enough. So you see, heh, I'm in pretty dire straights. Thank you for responding... it does make me feel welcome. I'm looking forward to using the resources and meeting people on a similar journey.
Koomori

Postby phreadom » Fri 01.25.2013 10:27 am

Koomori wrote:As for the test... I have no formal schooling in Japanese and few native friends (which is why I am here) so I am aiming eather low and I am working toward the N5 level so I can gain my basic fluency to get me started. My interest is deep though and I've been at it for about six years on my own. I grasp the grammar pretty proficiently but my reading level is...non-measurable (I'm terrible) and I desperately need to build my vocabulary.

Humorously you and I are pretty much in the exact same boat. ;) That's about my level, how long I've been studying, what I'm shooting for, and what I need to work on etc. :P

Basically I'm just really really bad at keeping focused on my studies... so I'll dabble for a few days or weeks, and then go off and work on web development, or some hobby operating system, etc... and then come back a few months later and pick it up again. :blush: I'm currently back into the swing of my Japanese study phase again. ;) haha

がんばりましょう、ね!? :dance:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Koomori » Fri 01.25.2013 11:30 am

Yeah that's me to a T. I'm also, aside from just a normal person who works as many hours as they can, an 'artist' of sorts and a doll maker. So when I have those moments of creative distraction it's just a months gone. POOF! On the plus side, I come up with a new set of dolls or a new comic book - either way - I end up realizing that I'd forgotten whatever it was that I was last studying.

So I guess my biggest problem with learning Japanese has been a lack of structure. The school districts I am from never offered it and since I was the second to last out of five other children, my parents never sent any of us to college nor did much in the way to help us ladder children prepare for it. I struggle with content and structure... so for the past 6 years, I've literally been studying only what I've felt was common enough to be relevant or 'might' be on the N5 test.

はは... well, I guess all the more reason to be here. I'm really hoping to get some real structure going. I lack the experience of being taught and even though I own a ton of books I really am clueless when it comes to what I should actually do and in what order I should proceed. As for now, I've literally been copying books. At least that's how I started learning grammar. I just copied a grammar book cover to cover.

Hiragana and Katakana I have been learning with a book series that makes them into pictures so it's easier to remember and I label everything in my art studio with that but my Kanji comprehension leaves room for vast improvement. But also I'm missing the benefit of anyone else who every studied it or spoke it.

I am kind of alone here. u_u Spanish is the most commonly spoken second language but for some reason I don't get it. Japanese I have always had a knack for but start putting gender to nouns that aren't people and it completely blows my mind.
Koomori

Return to Introductions