Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - はじめまして。

はじめまして。

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

はじめまして。

Postby japanesegryffindor » Thu 05.02.2013 2:22 am

私は十四さいです。アメリカ人です。女の人です。日本と日本語がすごく大すきです。ともだちになりたいです。
Then I decided it would be easier to talk in English. xD

I've only been studying Japanese for about a year now, so I'm probably going to make a lot of mistakes, haha. But hey, that's how you learn! I have a tutor, and me and my best friend are taking it together, so it's pretty fun--that and I really love Japanese culture. I have since about age six, when I originally discovered it. I'm trying really hard to learn it! I might take JLPT N5 in December, but I'm not sure yet because December's pretty far away and I don't know how my schedule is going to turn out.
I wanted to practice Japanese and talk with people who speak Japanese, so I looked for some forums and stumbled across this one.
Hopefully I'll get along well with everyone here! :D よろしくおねがいします。

(p.s. I wasn't sure whether 女の人 or 女の子 was more appropriate... but I figured at age 14 I wouldn't be considered a child. xD)
japanesegryffindor

Native language: English

Re: はじめまして。

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 05.02.2013 4:07 am

Welcome to TJP japanesegryffindorさん! :D

I was a little bit older than you when I joined this site and it really helped me keep focused and motivated on my goals through being part of a Japanese learning community. It's been 8 years since then... wow :? anyway you've come to the right place!

You're not a child any more, but I do recommend not disclosing your age on the internet until you get older. In Japanese, 人 has the implication of a (grown-up) member of society, so 子 is still commonly used in reference to teenagers. If you want to be ambiguous, you can use the term 女性(じょせい)- female.

Good luck with your Japanese study and hope to see you around the forum/chat :)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Pork Chop » Thu 05.02.2013 12:53 pm

Welcome japanesegryffindor! :)

If I'm not mistaken it's the coming-of-age ceremony at age 20 that one becomes an adult in Japanese society, until then it's probably somewhat ambiguous.
Pork Chop

Postby japanesegryffindor » Thu 05.02.2013 2:11 pm

ありがとうございました。
You guys all seem so nice :D
japanesegryffindor

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Sat 05.04.2013 1:29 am

I agree, it's 女の子 until はたち (二十歳) ... and there a youth-admiration component to Japanese society that makes it so people are not at all eager to advance in the age category by which they are addressed, more the reverse.

While the advice of not disclosing your age is probably very wise on English-speaking web sites, I have noticed that tagging your age and gender seems to be expected on Japanese speaking sites (which is a little uncomfortable for me, TBH.) I would in any language avoid disclosing real name, real gender, real age and real location in public posts under the same identity though. (Possibly excepting males aged 25-35 who might be presumed to be the list victimizable and most able to defend themselves, but, even so.) Age, gender, and pseudonym aren't traceable information though as long as it stops there.
SomeCallMeChris

Postby TheDevilsAdmin » Fri 05.17.2013 5:06 pm

Haha, wow. Should really pay more attention to the forums ^^" (I hang out in the chat nearly 24/7 :P)

*thinks*
*Wow, I am still terrible at saying hello >.<*
*thinks harder*
*Damn, an appropriate way of greeting a new member is hard!*
*gives up*
*my excuse is that I've only studied (at a very low pace due to lack of time) since February*

こんにちはjapanesegryffindorさん。
*and since I can't properly greet you I should at least introduce myself*
はじめまして。私の名前はアンドレーアスです。18歳の学生です。どうぞよろしくお願いします。
皆さんこんにちは!!はじめまして。
私の名前はアンドレーアスです。
18歳学生です。どうぞよおしく。

日本語が少しわかります。僕はおねがいします。

Aaand that's enough rambling for this signature ;) (I really do hope I didn't screw something up >.>)
TheDevilsAdmin

Skype chat: thedevilsadmin
Native language: Swedish; English

Return to Introductions