Hello!

New members may introduce themselves in this forum
nia
Native language: English

Hello!

Post by nia » Tue 10.28.2014 9:38 pm

I'm Nia,

I'm a first year college student who is learning Japanese. I'm JUST starting. I knew a few things before and I own Genki I so that should be a start. I have a very ambitious goal in mind which may actually be impossible to do but I'm gonna try anyway. I want to go to Toudai. I need to learn enough Japanese to pass the JLPT N2 so I can understand the lectures. I have a long way to go but all of my friends are giving me support.

Obviously Genki I and II won't cut it for N2, can someone suggest me materials? Also I need to talk with people too, I do know someone but apparently his internet is down.

Hope to talk to you all :)

-Nia

Ongakuka

Re: Hello!

Post by Ongakuka » Tue 11.04.2014 7:51 pm

Hi Nia,

Great, you'll want to go through Genki quickly but thoroughly. The JLPT exam is as much about exam technique (i.e. time efficiency) as it is about Japanese, so practice papers are my biggest recommendation. With comprehension you need to search out the information relevant to the question. Other than that, memorizing a lot of words, kanji etc. is important too. Try to learn in context as much as possible because you will have a better understanding of the meaning and it will therefore stick in your memory better.

While you're studying with Genki, try to do language exchange with Japanese friends wherever possible, or listen to anime/songs/news (whatever you're interested in) because listening is also on the JLPT exam but more importantly good listening will be essential for your lectures at Toudai.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any other questions or practice Japanese here :)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ

Shiroisan
Native language: Eigo

Post by Shiroisan » Wed 11.05.2014 5:54 am

Wait a minute :hand:

I'd worry about what to do after genki 1/2 after actually completing them. The vast amount of material that comes after that is only a distraction from the material right in front of you. All the people who seem to hit "plateaus" and give up on japanese forever are the ones that feel like they're not making enough progress towards the finish line anymore and get discouraged. The ones who succeed just trek on step by step, and before they realize it they are understanding more than they don't :).

But inquiring minds... :doh: .. If you've already looked at "Toudai" this early, then I probably can't stop you.

SugoYari
Skype chat: dovahkiinzul

Post by SugoYari » Thu 11.06.2014 12:12 pm

Hi! Welcome to TJP! You can call me Kat, I'm an old member here and I know quite a bit myself. I've had some website suggestions that may help, such as iknow.com. It's relatively good and gives you more practice with things, learning words. I'm not sure how far you can go though without paying.... That's the downside. I'll look for more help for you so you can get started! And again, welcome!

nia

Post by nia » Fri 11.07.2014 3:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I know where to begin. One step at a time is definitely the way to do things. As for speaking, I do know one person but I think he's having internet troubles at the moment. I've been asking around, one of my professors says she'll keep an eye out for professors who speak Japanese. Do any of you ever talk with eachother for practice? Eventually I will find somebody here to talk to, but it couldn't hurt to find more people. I'm getting a lot better with hiragana, katakana comes next. I was told that a chapter of Genki per week might be a good rate so I will start with that.

Another thing I'm on the lookout for is practice material. Lots and lots of it. The more, the better. You guys are really nice :)