Aikidoka from Germany

New members may introduce themselves in this forum
jborchardt
Native language: German

Aikidoka from Germany

Post by jborchardt » Thu 02.25.2016 12:17 pm

Hi all,

my name is Johannes, im a 28 year old German.
My connection to Japan started 12 years ago, when I first visited an aikido dojo. Aikido was also the reason for my first visit to Japan in 2009 and also how I got to meet my (Japanese) fiancée.
This year in July we will move to Japan for at least one year. Therefore I have a ton of things to do right now, such as organizing two weddings (one in Germany, one in Japan), taking care of financial feasibility and learning Japanese. To keep myself on track while learning Japanese, I started a little blog on which I write progress reports and anything useful I tried or know about (for example recently a guide to love hotels :blush: ).
At the moment I'm learning with genki and Heisig for kanji, supplemented with Anki. Before I learned the Kana using Heisig as well and did the Michel Thomas' Japanese series, which I liked a lot. I looked at other books, such as minna no nihongo, Japanese from zero and some other German works, but at the moment I like those two the best. At the moment I am able to learn on average about one hour per day, let's see how it works out.

I'm glad to be here, よろしくお願いします

CajunCoder

Re: Aikidoka from Germany

Post by CajunCoder » Fri 08.19.2016 10:29 pm

Welcome to the forum!

It's awesome to meet a fellow martial artist! I primarily study Chinese and Filipino Martial Arts, but I have done Aikido as well and really enjoyed it. I'd still be doing it if not for chronic tendonitis/tendinosis in my wrists - I'm hoping that will heal up enough that I can pick it back up again, though.

I haven't yet been to Japan or trained there, but I'm looking forward to doing both of those things when I get the chance. I'm going to take a look at your blog! Do you also write about your MA experiences in Japan?

In any case, nice to meet you!