Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - こにちわ Greetings and hello from Cigfran7

こにちわ Greetings and hello from Cigfran7

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

こにちわ Greetings and hello from Cigfran7

Postby Cigfran7 » Sat 11.12.2005 12:20 pm

Hello all,

I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join. This is a great site and a great resource. Many thanks to Clay and Yumi for making it available.

I have been semi-seriously studying Japanese--or trying to--for about 6 months. It's going rather slowly, probably due to the fact that there have been some periods of "downtime." I know the hiragana and most of the katakana (used Heisig's book) and am currently working my way through the Let's learn Hiragana and Let's Learn Katakana books published by Kodansha for additional reinforcement. I've gotten through the first couple of chapters of Japanese for Busy People.

I have a couple of Kanji books, O'Neill's Essential Kanji and Hadamitzky/Spahn's Kanji & Kana, but have opted for the "delayed gratification" approach and am working through volume one of Heisig's Remembering the Kanji. Am now up to chapter 11.

Obviously the key to learning anything is to spend time learning it. I've been trying to study during lunch hour at work, but that's not sufficient, too many interruptions and some days I have to do other things. So I'm now trying to study for at least an hour every day at home. Will have to see how that goes.

I did buy Heisig's flash cards. They are 37% off at Amazon. Still expensive, but I think it's an investment that will pay off. I've started taking little sets of cards with me EVERYWHERE I go so I can do quick reviews anywhere. I think that will help. It's a better use of time than staring at the covers of the magazines in the checkout line at the grocery store.

As far as interests in other things Japanese go, I like electronics--my dream would be to go to Japan with tons of cash and go on a massive buying spree ;)--woodblock prints, manga, anime and Japanese films, especially yakuza films from the 60s and 70s. I'm also reading a lot about Japanese history and culture. Music? Not that much J-pop (although I like Puffy), but I recently picked up a couple of CDs with songs from yakuza films and I plan on buying more CDs from some of the artists on them.

Oh yeah, I'm fortunate to live in an area that has a few small Japanese grocery stores as well as some big Korean stores that carry lots of Japanese products so I've been able to expand beyond the usual sushi fare. I even like natto.:D

Well that's it. Please forgive the rather lengthy introduction. Take care everyone.:)
Cigfran7

RE: こにちわ Greetings and hello from Cigfran7

Postby Christian_ » Sat 11.12.2005 10:49 pm

はじめましてCigfran7さん,またね;)
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Return to Introductions