Hello Again! / I'm Back!

New members may introduce themselves in this forum
CajunCoder

Hello Again! / I'm Back!

Post by CajunCoder » Fri 08.19.2016 12:12 pm

Greetings everyone!

I started studying Japanese about 10-11 years ago, and this is the first place that I landed. It's been many years since I've frequented these forums, but I have recently been picking my Japanese back up and trying to take it to the next level (studying JLPT level 2 and 1 material, and trying to expand my vocabulary), and I thought that frequenting these forums again might help motivate me to study consistently :)

It's awesome to still see some familiar usernames here. I remember quite a few of you :)

My Japanese development has been a tad haphazard over the years, because I've really just used and picked it up passively more than anything. My vocabulary is splotchy -- some topics/contexts, I can converse quite fluently on, whilst others, I've never really held a conversation about in my life and lack basic vocabulary of. My passive vocabulary is much larger than my active vocabulary, which means I can understand people much better than I can express myself, as I'm often struggling to find the exact word that I want. Vocabulary really seems to be my biggest struggle, currently. I'm also kind of rusty when it comes to reading Kanji -- I used to do a lot of reading and be pretty good at it.

My hope is to improve in these areas, and take my Japanese to the next level. It's really quite fun/exciting consciously studying Japanese after all of these years (as opposed to just passively using it), and I already feel like I'm making good progress. I've mostly been studying JLPT material -- not because I'm interested in the JLPT, but simply because that's really the only advanced / comprehensive learning material that I can find for higher level Japanese learners.

Anyway,

再びよろしくお願いします!

Ongakuka

Re: Hello Again! / I'm Back!

Post by Ongakuka » Sat 08.20.2016 6:25 am

Wow, it's been like a super long time :D Nice to see you back CajunCoder. I hope more people come back too! Are you in Japan now?
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ

CajunCoder

Post by CajunCoder » Sat 08.20.2016 2:04 pm

Hey Ongakuka! It's been a super long time indeed!

Actually, I'm not in Japan yet, but I've been making progress on that front. I may wind up living up to my name and working there as a programmer :wink:

How about you? Would you happen to be working in Japan as a musician? :mrgreen:

It seems pretty quiet around here, but it's great to see a few friendly faces! As long as there are at least two of us, we can have some good discussions, right?

Ongakuka

Post by Ongakuka » Mon 08.22.2016 12:07 pm

Yeah exactly :D I'm still playing music, but not for a living. Are you able to program for video games?
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ

CajunCoder

Post by CajunCoder » Mon 08.22.2016 3:40 pm

Actually, video games are why I was interested in programming in the first place :mrgreen:
I've made a few 2D games, and messed around with 3d and multiplayer games a bit. I'm also a half-decent sprite artist, but I'm not very efficient/really slow at drawing.

Are you into game development, per chance?

Ongakuka

Post by Ongakuka » Wed 08.24.2016 7:22 am

Absolutely ^_^ now I work at a Japanese company that localizes and publishes Japanese games to the West and vice versa.

I'd love to be able to make a game by myself or as part of a small team. Programming is the biggest obstacle for me. I'v'e tried to teach myself but what I read never gives me a proper understanding of how the language works and how that translates to the finished game. Did you make any of your games available to the public?
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ

askeladd
Native language: 英語

Post by askeladd » Fri 09.09.2016 11:55 pm

Ha, I'm in the same boat - I studied Japanese for a short while but it fell aside as life started getting more complicated. Not that it isn't complicated now as well, but I've recently decided to brush up on my Japanese, hopefully (among other things) to give me an edge in the job market. So, back to square one (or maybe square two) :lol:
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

---Mark Twain