Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hello, I'm new ^_^

Hello, I'm new ^_^

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hello, I'm new ^_^

Postby Awesome_A_K » Tue 12.27.2005 9:59 pm

I thought i'd introduce myself. So hello lol. I've decided to make learning Japanese my New Years Resolution for 2006. I really want to try hard and do it because I find it very interesting. Hopefully this site will help me, haha. I've also came across some language tapes that seem like they'll be helpful (Pimsleurs) anyone know if it's really good? Or have better recommendations? Well, until next time!:)
Awesome_A_K

RE: Hello, I'm new ^_^

Postby Christian_ » Tue 12.27.2005 10:14 pm

はじめましてAwesome_A_Kさん。I hope you find this fourm helpful, and feel free to ask any questions. By the way I heard some good things about pimsleur but I would ask someone else about it.
Christian_

Postby Christian_ » Tue 12.27.2005 10:14 pm

はじめましてAwesome_A_Kさん。I hope you find this fourm helpful, and feel free to ask any questions. By the way I heard some good things about pimsleur but I would ask someone else about it.
Christian_

Postby mandolin » Wed 12.28.2005 12:20 am

I like Pimsleur's. It definately helps with pronounciation, and some vocab. Vocab does move a bit slowly, and there's some basic grammatical explanation (though nothing in-depth).

You're not going to want to ONLY do Pimsleur's, I think it's best supplemented with written, visual work. Though they're right, at first, you don't want to try and hunt down transcripts like most people do. Just do your best to mimic what they say with no visual aid.

It forces you to just do it without overthinking, and has smoothed out my pronounciation overall quite effectively.
mandolin

Postby Mariya » Wed 12.28.2005 5:56 am

Nice to have you here, welcome. ^.^ Make yourself at home~!
Mariya

Postby Awesome_A_K » Wed 12.28.2005 9:39 pm

mandolin wrote:
I like Pimsleur's. It definately helps with pronounciation, and some vocab. Vocab does move a bit slowly, and there's some basic grammatical explanation (though nothing in-depth).

You're not going to want to ONLY do Pimsleur's, I think it's best supplemented with written, visual work. Though they're right, at first, you don't want to try and hunt down transcripts like most people do. Just do your best to mimic what they say with no visual aid.

It forces you to just do it without overthinking, and has smoothed out my pronounciation overall quite effectively.

Ooh, do you know of any specific books to use?
Awesome_A_K

Postby Awesome_A_K » Wed 12.28.2005 9:40 pm

Mariya wrote:
Nice to have you here, welcome. ^.^ Make yourself at home~!

Thank you very much. I like this site a lot already lol. I've been surfing thru it since last night. You people seem very friendly and I think I'm going to learn a lot from here.
Awesome_A_K

Postby mandolin » Thu 12.29.2005 1:22 am

Awesome_A_K wrote:
Ooh, do you know of any specific books to use?

I'm afraid I haven't any good grammar books to recommend.

I mostly use the internet for my grammar study, because the grammar book I bought uses only romaji, which I have come to appreciate as nothing short of irritating.

I don't mind using romaji alongside kana, but when its my only option, it's a pain in the bottom. :P

I suggest starting with hiragana and katakana. If you already know those, then your pimsleur's + some kind of coursebook would be an excellent start. I hear a lot of people like the "Genki" series, which is available from thejapanshop. There's a link to it on the left (called "store").

Take care!
mandolin

Postby Christian_ » Thu 12.29.2005 2:13 am

Genki is probably newer and more well known, (I would have got it but they didnt have it at my bookstore) but I have Japanese For Everyone and its pretty good. If you're looking for a good grammer book I suggest a dictionary of basic japanese grammer, its great just expensive and if you dont mind romaji i bought a book called a Japanese Grammer its Small CHEAP(6.95) and Color coated , the only downside is romaji. Oh and if you buy from the Japan Shop its very reliable, I bought Read Japanese Today and a Kana Shitajiki pencil board, It came pretty fast and in excellent condition.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby Awesome_A_K » Sun 01.01.2006 6:55 pm

Hmm, aright, my only source to gettin these books would be off Ebay because my mom doesnt trust any other sites lol. I looked Genki up but didnt have much luck. Uhh, Romaji is the spoken language written down, right? I saw the Read Japanese Today. is that a really good one to use? I also found some Hiragan and Katakana flashcards. Those would work too, right?
Awesome_A_K

Postby Sachi » Sun 01.01.2006 7:11 pm

First off, welcome to the site ^^

Secondly, my definition of romanji is Japanese characters written in Roman characters by the way they sound. So, yes, what you said is what it basically is (i.e. はじめまして vs. hajimemashite ;)).

I would recommend the Genki series for textbooks. They have excellent grammar explanations, pretty good vocabulary, in my opinon, and activites to reinforce all that you've learned in the lesson until you really feel like you understand it forwards and backwards. You can find them on Amazon. That's where I got mine ;) I don't know anything about Read Japanese Today, sorry.

Hirigama and Katakana flashcards might be a good idea, though I learned them fine without them. What I suggest is once you get onto kanji, get some flashcards for that. But that'll be a little later for you.

I'd be happy to help you on anything, if I can. I've studied 10 months now, and so I'm not be as advanced as many other people here (school takes up my time, sports, ect. ect.) but I'll try, if you like. I do know a lot of vocab and various Japanese learning sites, so ask me anything anytime! ^^

Ja ne!
Sachi

Postby ayaito » Tue 01.03.2006 8:55 pm

Awesome_A_K wrote:
I thought i'd introduce myself. So hello lol. I've decided to make learning Japanese my New Years Resolution for 2006. I really want to try hard and do it because I find it very interesting. Hopefully this site will help me, haha. I've also came across some language tapes that seem like they'll be helpful (Pimsleurs) anyone know if it's really good? Or have better recommendations? Well, until next time!:)

good new years resolution, i honestly didnt think of that. may have to add it to my list ... lol.

i dont know if the tapes are any good, but right now im using a book called "ultimate japanese -- beginner to intermediate". i know the whole ultimate thing makes it sound silly, but its an incredible book (i.e. detail, examples, exercises, etc). the book i bought didnt have the CD with it (i was too broke to afford both, lol) but it can come with a CD to listen to with audio and so forth.

since the book is just fabulous, im sure the CD is too. id recommend getting that if you havent gotten something else alreadyl.

^^; hope that helps!

--day
ayaito

Return to Introductions