Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Good Morning, Good Afternoon, or Good Day

Good Morning, Good Afternoon, or Good Day

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Good Morning, Good Afternoon, or Good Day

Postby MysticEvo » Fri 01.13.2006 5:01 pm

I've been studying Japanese for about 2-3 months not religiously but I've been studying. In the last 2-3 weeks I've changed to studying religiously. I love the language and culture, the respect and people, architecture and surroundings.

I've picked up enough books to supply a library or two. I've picked up a program, audio CD's, and even someone who has study Japanese. The person who was helping me hasn't had as much time as we are both extremely busy and our schedules never meet. She taught me a lot of words, small phases, Hiragana, and counters.

Here's the kicker. I can read a sentence one word at a time with a long pause to the next one. I can understand what I'm reading in Hiragana but when I try to say something or even repeat what I hear it comes out something completely different.

If you are someone who watches Friends and remember when Joey had one line or maybe even word to say in French and it come out nothing like what it was suppose to this is me but on phases.

Now for the fun part, I'm leaving for Tokyo April 1st or if I'm lucky March 30th and My wife and I will be going to Kyoto and spending a little over half our time there. Then we will return to Tokyo a few days before our flight on April 9th.

I would really like to figure out how to put my speech together but I just don’t seem to be able to. I’m not the greatest at the English language but I feel like this is a huge stumbling block.

Anyway hope to post more. I’ve been lurking for quite awhile and everyone always has great information thank you.
MysticEvo

RE: Good Morning, Good Afternoon, or Good Day

Postby mandolin » Fri 01.13.2006 11:11 pm

I'd suggest going to your library and picking up an audio course. Maybe just sort of burn through the lessons not so much for memorizing the words/phrases but more for helping with your pronounciation.

Pimsleur's is great in that respect, but I think just about any audio course would help.

And welcome to TJP! :)

EDIT: I just noticed you said you got some audio CD's... if those don't help, I don't know what to tell you... "speed reading" will come in time, with lots of practice.
Last edited by mandolin on Fri 01.13.2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mandolin

Postby ai_love_gaara » Mon 01.16.2006 5:46 am

hi, i hope you enjoy the forums and TJP and i hope you learn alot for Japan, and a safe trip!
Even though this was advice from my indonesian teacher, she said "Dont worry about the speedwhen you talk. If you think you talk too slowly dont mind for now. Actually KNOW and understand what you say 100% and later on speaking will become natural."

i hope it helps!

~ * Ai (chan) * ~
my fav simpsons epispode! ^^
[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Donna\My%20Documents\Mr_Sparkle.gif[/img]
ai_love_gaara

Postby huskobon » Mon 01.16.2006 8:10 am

Hi, welcome to TJP. Hope you have fun learning.
huskobon

Postby MysticEvo » Mon 01.16.2006 5:58 pm

Thanks for the advice I'm actaully taking a step back and looking at new ways to continue forward. I'm adding more vacabulary and study time. I'm trying to clear about 50 words every 3 days or so. Because I'm leaving so soon I need to rethink my lessons. I will diffenetly slow down so I can get the correct information across, thank you for that advice.
MysticEvo

Return to Introductions