Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bow to new friends

Bow to new friends

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Bow to new friends

Postby Akanon » Wed 01.25.2006 7:33 pm

Greetings i have come acrost this sight in my surch for knowledge about the Japanese language and the culter they live by. I am a new comer to this all and iam just starting to learn to speek Japanese and i am going to try to learn how to write Japanese as well
I am from USA but i am looking to one day move to Japan so i want to learn as much as i can before i go there so i dont feel like a complet retard when i get there .

i hope that my time here will be vary helpfull and from what i have read already it seams that it will be that way thank you all and i hope thigs work out well :)
Akanon

RE: Bow to new friends

Postby shikamarufoo » Wed 01.25.2006 8:19 pm

Akanon wrote:
I am from USA but i am looking to one day move to Japan so i want to learn as much as i can before i go there so i dont feel like a complet retard when i get there .

I also want to move to Japan and learn as much as I can about the culture and langauge. Welcome to this forum and I hope you find many helpful things here.
Good luck and I'll try my best to help you in the future (though I mostly need the helping:)).
shikamarufoo

Postby AJBryant » Thu 01.26.2006 11:45 am

Greetings i have come acrost this sight in my surch for knowledge about the Japanese language and the culter they live by. I am a new comer to this all and iam just starting to learn to speek Japanese

:o

Before you start working on Japanese ....

How's that English coming along?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby CAPiTUL » Thu 01.26.2006 2:16 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Greetings i have come acrost this sight in my surch for knowledge about the Japanese language and the culter they live by. I am a new comer to this all and iam just starting to learn to speek Japanese

:o

Before you start working on Japanese ....

How's that English coming along?

Tony

Cold. . . . oh so cold. . . . but viciously true.
CAPiTUL

Postby Akanon » Thu 01.26.2006 10:47 pm

my english is good i have grown up in the us so i know it well but my spelling is somthing that i have never been all that good at but ive been trying to work in that
Akanon

Postby b4d0m3n » Fri 01.27.2006 12:48 am

I don't want to divert the thread further, and I wish you well on learning Japanese, but I have never understood people's inability to spell and write. How can you grow up in an English-speaking country and not pick up the simple grammar that allows you to survive day-to-day life? Presumably these people are able to speak well enough, but when it comes to writing they are nigh illiterate. What the Hell? Spelling is simple enough, and a thing one should have picked up before going to High School.
b4d0m3n

Postby AJBryant » Fri 01.27.2006 1:46 am

It's something I've always wondered about. Over the years I've seen plenty of people who *seem* but marginally literate in their own language, but intend to learn another -- with all the grammar and spelling rules that apply in that language.

Boggles the mind.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby MushiMushi » Fri 01.27.2006 3:25 am

Good day to all...

I'm a n00b on this forum... Looking to sharpen my very limited understanding of the language and I have some questions that I'd like answered regarding sentance structuring etc.

But hey it's good to be here.

:)

You can never change the past, nor control the future, but you can change the mood of the day by touching someone\'s \"PRIVATE PART\"
MushiMushi

Postby natemb » Fri 01.27.2006 4:55 am

While good spelling in English is of course nice, I don't think it's really necessary for learning other languages. Some people learn correct spelling in English just by reading, but others don't and have to spend a lot of time memorizing to spell correctly. Japanese spelling (in kana) is much more straightforward than English, which is notoriously difficult to spell. And kanji will be hard for everyone, regardless of if you spell well in your native language.

Mastering English grammar, on the other hand, is very helpful for learning other languages, but still not vital. In my case, I didn't really understand English grammar until I started studying foreign languages.

The spelling mistakes and lack of punctuation made Akanon's first post a little hard to understand, so I don't think it's bad to point that out. But I don't see any reason to discourage him from learning Japanese.

Akanon, welcome to the site. I hope you learn a lot here! I recommend in future posts to try to use punctuation (capital letters, periods, commas, etc.) and a spell check because that makes it much easier for us to read. Good luck with your studies!
natemb

Postby Gan » Fri 01.27.2006 10:38 am

Sometimes one just doesn't know how to spell. I should know, because I am one of those people. I cannot spell worth a rotton egnima. So please do not place disknowledge against the people like me and Akanon. My heart is left to desire forgiveness upon our horrible inactions of ungrammatical displacing of letter's in words. Maybe I should start using spell check....... wait...... I do not have a word proccessor, so that is kind of not an option. Sincerely - The Shadow Taker........ (I may have miss spelled alot, I'm sorry if my paragraph is unlegible)
Gan

Postby AJBryant » Fri 01.27.2006 12:21 pm

It's not just spelling. It's grammar, vocabulary, syntax, word choice. All of those things matter in communication. And if you can't do it in your OWN language -- one you've supposedly been exposed to since birth and have been SPEAKING for years and years -- how can you expect to do anything halfway decent in any OTHER language you start to pick up NOW?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Gan » Fri 01.27.2006 1:30 pm

Yes I understand what you mean..... Hey where at in NE Va do you live? i live in sw.. sorry off topic... Anyway. Reading alot of Stephen King novels is a very good idea if you want to learn big words.. and how to spell them.... I hope some day I will be able to read in japanese the stories I do in english.
Gan

Postby Belenchan4u » Fri 01.27.2006 2:08 pm

I live in North VA:D....
Belenchan4u

Postby Gan » Fri 01.27.2006 2:12 pm

Cool alot of people in Va that wanna learn japanese.. Get going.. It's a long road.
Gan

Postby Clio-chan » Fri 01.27.2006 3:29 pm

Hi! I'm a newbie! And it's good to be here! ;):D
Clio-chan

Next

Return to Introductions