Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bow to new friends

Bow to new friends

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

RE: Bow to new friends

Postby AJBryant » Fri 01.27.2006 5:56 pm

I live near the Beltway. Stone's throw from DC.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Fri 01.27.2006 10:38 pm

Hey I like about maybe 1/4 (not by road, by actual land) from the beltway lol!

go MD!:p
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english

Postby Akanon » Sat 01.28.2006 6:24 pm

Ok i agree that spelling is going to be a big thing in learning a knew language and every thing but i dont think it is going to stop me from learning how to speek it. It just may hold me back and make it a little harder to do but with enough determination one can get thorugh any thing.
On the supject of not being able to spell your native language and speeking it one can learn to speek in one way and learn to spell in a completly nother, it has to do with they way you were raised as a child, how you take to it, how your educational programs of you r area are. I dont know how they are over there but from were im from they suck realy bad and we are ranked to be 3rd from the bottom on the educatonal bord for the US, so from were i am things arnt exacally the best for education.
But i wont let that get me down one day i shall be able to do things like others and mabe spell everything right but for now i just have to work on it and not let others drive me down just cuse i can t do thing as good as them.
Akanon

Postby Sachi » Sat 01.28.2006 8:50 pm

Good luck, Akanon =)

Also, welcome to the site ;)
Sachi

Postby CAPiTUL » Tue 01.31.2006 3:21 pm

AJBryant wrote:
I live near the Beltway. Stone's throw from DC.

Tony

I did a semester of graduate school at GMU, Arlington Campus. I was studying International Commerce and Public Policy. That's actually my other option instead of going to Japan in April - taking the money I would use for JP and going to finish grad school back at GMU. To be honest, I sway back and forth. Japanese would go nicely with that MA, but it WOULD eat up another precious year (I'm 27, with a 4 year old daughter, so every year counts!). Decisions, decisions, decisions.
-CAPiTUL
Nagoya bound this coming April/May!!!!!!
CAPiTUL

Postby hikitsurisan » Tue 01.31.2006 6:23 pm

Akanon - if you have a spelling problem you have certainly made a wise choice in learning Japanese. The logic of writing Japanese is totally different (the kana is phonetic and the kanji, although complicated, is pictorial).
I know I'm getting old, but I think pupils' spelling is getting worse and worse (sorry, I'm a teacher). I blame mobile text messaging. 2dayz kids offn cant tell the difrns!

Could anyone enlighten me on how the Japanese manage text messaging? And is there a kind of subculture re text spelling like there is here?
hikitsurisan

RE: admin

Postby Cloud_Strife » Sat 02.04.2006 5:22 am

I dont think an administrator should be making new members look inferior and uncapable of learning a new language. How old is Akanon? How strict was his schooling? There are many variables that can affect the way someone spells and uses grammar. I was never good in english grammar...but I was a great speller and had a good memory. I can't define all the different types of grammar, but I can use them in the sentences I type. I am sure he can learn Japanese like anyone else. It just seems ignorant for someone to say he isn't a good speller or good with grammar.

Kory
If I only had more time.
Cloud_Strife

Postby kempokatt » Sat 02.04.2006 6:03 am

Who knows, this person could be a savant and learn to read, write and speak every language in the known world with elegance...with the exception of their native language. ;)

BAH! :P We've all been sidetracked by the atrocious spelling and grammar!

Actually, most people learn a great deal about their native language while studying a foreign language....lets hope this is the case here as well.

Welcome to The Japanese Page Forums!
(People will actually help you, as long as you ask clearly and concisely.)
kempokatt

Postby Daisuke » Sat 02.04.2006 7:53 am

Cloud_Strife wrote:
I dont think an administrator should be making new members look inferior and uncapable of learning a new language. How old is Akanon? How strict was his schooling? There are many variables that can affect the way someone spells and uses grammar. I was never good in english grammar...but I was a great speller and had a good memory. I can't define all the different types of grammar, but I can use them in the sentences I type. I am sure he can learn Japanese like anyone else. It just seems ignorant for someone to say he isn't a good speller or good with grammar.

Kory

According to Akanon's profile, he is 25 from USA. I don't know much about american schooling, but when you are 25, you should definitely be able to spell properly in at least your own language. AJBryant had all his right to tell Akanon that.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby kempokatt » Sat 02.04.2006 8:13 am

(O_O)...

If he's 25, I retract my previous statement.
(not the one about people helping)

Seeing/reading this thread has given me a headache!
kempokatt

RE: ????

Postby Cloud_Strife » Sat 02.04.2006 9:56 am

So you are telling me that all persons in the U.S.A. have passed high school and have attended a college in which they can now spell good english. If you are not telling me that..then maybe we should think about the not so fortunate people. This does not directly relate to Akanon but is a good example. I know many people like Akanon especially out of high school.

Here are some questions to ask yourself before you say something about Akanon.

1. Is Akanon really a native english speaker? The US has many different foreigners that are considered from the US.
2. What does his ability in spelling and grammar have to do with learning Japanese? He will not carry any of his learned english over to his Japanese.

Who cares how he spells anyway..this is not theenglishpage.com. Kids like to notice and comment on stupid things like that. I don't like to argue with admins..but if you act like a kid then maybe you shouldnt be an admin.
If I only had more time.
Cloud_Strife

Postby Daisuke » Sat 02.04.2006 10:27 am

Cloud_Strife wrote:
1. Is Akanon really a native english speaker? The US has many different foreigners that are considered from the US.
2. What does his ability in spelling and grammar have to do with learning Japanese? He will not carry any of his learned english over to his Japanese.

I don't know if he is native, and I know that English and Japanese are very different languages. I don't know if he has some kind of "learning restrictions" either. But if he don't, then he should be able to learn to spell if he just put a tiny bit of effort into it. If he is not able to put enough effort into learning English, Japanese is going to be an impossible task, no matter how different these two languages are. So it is not really about his spelling, it is about work and effort, I guess.

Who cares how he spells anyway..this is not theenglishpage.com. Kids like to notice and comment on stupid things like that. I don't like to argue with admins..but if you act like a kid then maybe you shouldnt be an admin.

Call me a kid if that pleases you. I have my right to post my view on this topic like anyone else.
Daisuke
Site Admin

RE: no disrespect

Postby Cloud_Strife » Sat 02.04.2006 11:59 am

I have nothing against you Daisuke..and yes you have all right to post what you want as I have done myself. I called Bryant the kid though. I am discontinuing any further posts about the subject. I guess I am not here to defend people in forums..just to enjoy conversations about japanese.
If I only had more time.
Cloud_Strife

Postby AJBryant » Sat 02.04.2006 1:21 pm

I called Bryant the kid though.

You just made my day. I turn 45 in ten days. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Sat 02.04.2006 6:28 pm

ojiisan
Infidel

Native language: 英語

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions