Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I hate introductions.

I hate introductions.

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

I hate introductions.

Postby CDarklock » Sun 02.12.2006 12:13 am

Introductions are like trying to figure out which things people will like most about you that you can say in thirty seconds. I have trouble with that, because everybody is different. Some people may think it's really cool that I worked in a particular industry. Other people may think it's really horrible and I should be shot.

Since I don't really know what to say, so I'll just be very basic.

Hi. I'm Caliban Darklock. I've been learning Japanese for the past week or so. My wife and I have discussed the possibility of moving to Japan, and I think it's important to hook up with communities where we can be exposed to people who have done the cultural crossover thing with Japan - whether as gaijin heading into Japan, or Japanese heading out to other countries.

This looks like a good place to find people like that, so here I am. I don't know a lot of the language, but I'm starting to get comfortable recognising many of the hiragana, and I have a very basic understanding of Japanese grammar and vocabulary that lets me recognise some of the more common sentences.

As a business owner, I'm also interested in how speaking and reading Japanese might be beneficial to my business, even if I stay here in the states. There are many Japanese-Americans in our area.
CDarklock

RE: I hate introductions.

Postby Infidel » Sun 02.12.2006 1:06 am

well, no one is forcing you to introduce yourself. Some people never do. It's ok. Your still welcome. This topic is really here for the people that want to introduce themselves, not to force those who don't want too.

As for Japanese in the US, there are several niche markets here not all related to anime but imports in general. If you understood the language and writing then you would be better able to select quality goods and make contracts with a good but small supplier.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby amego » Sun 02.12.2006 1:10 am

こんにちは はじめまして TJPにようこそ! どうぞよろしくお願いします

Actually you don't really need to introduce youself if you're reluctant . Through your participation in this forum, we can know you better. :D  
Last edited by amego on Sun 02.12.2006 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
amego

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 02.12.2006 1:12 am

Yeah, you don't HAVE to introduce yourself if you don't want to. I didn't.

But anyway, welcome to the site. This is one of the best sites you can use to learn Japanese. It's relatively easy (considering you're learning a new language), and the other users are friendly and willing to help. Enjoy! :D
Last edited by Takeo Saeki on Sun 02.12.2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Takeo Saeki

Postby CDarklock » Sun 02.12.2006 2:04 am

amego wrote:

Oh, crap! WTF is that?! I'm going home. ;)

Actually you don't really need to introduce youself if you're reluctant . Through your participation in this forum, we can know you better.

Well, I'm always concerned about whether one or the other is rude. If you introduce yourself, it's like jumping into a room and yelling "well, I'm going to talk about myself! BLAH BLAH BLAH..." which seems sort of rude. But if you don't introduce yourself, it's like walking into a room full of strangers and eavesdropping for a few minutes before saying "well, this is what I think! BLAH BLAH BLAH..." which also seems sort of rude.

Since it seems like no matter which one I choose, it ends up being sort of rude, I just have to guess which one the people in the room would think is less rude. Sometimes I introduce myself, sometimes I don't.

When I thought about it, I figured in this forum... probably better to introduce. I find that most communities which lean in a Japanese direction always get the same obnoxious guy coming in to post "ME WANT JAPANESE GIRLFRIEND! ARE YOU JAPANESE GIRL?! YOU FIND ME JAPANESE GIRL RIGHT NOW!" and rampage around the forum just generally being a jerkass. So I wanted to make sure people don't mistake me for that guy.
CDarklock

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 02.12.2006 2:08 am

................. I see your point.

Oh, crap! WTF is that?! I'm going home. ;)

LOL You'll get used to that. Most of the posters write in Japanese often. I've already accepted the fact that I can only read about half of what people say here. Needless to say, I haven't learned much Japanese yet.
Last edited by Takeo Saeki on Sun 02.12.2006 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Takeo Saeki

Postby CDarklock » Sun 02.12.2006 3:57 am

Takeo Saeki wrote:
LOL You'll get used to that. Most of the posters write in Japanese often.

I can actually puzzle out hiragana if I look at it long enough, but it's tedious. It takes me about two to three seconds to latch the image I'm seeing onto a hiragana I recognise and then connect that to what sound it makes, and then I have to assemble the sounds into words and dig into my small Japanese vocabulary to figure out what they mean. Right now, I'm just excited when I recognise anything.

"Ooh! desu ne! He said desu ne! Don't have a clue what the first eight words are, but I sure am smart to figure out those two extremely common words after just twenty seconds."

I was just in the chat, and apparently I'm doing really well for the amount of time I've been studying, so I don't feel too terribly stupid. I just get frustrated reasonably often because I only know a tiny little number of kanji, and I know learning the 2000 or so I need to is going to take a really long time. One of the things I really like here is the rotating kanji on the sidebar, which should help, and I have a feeling that if I actually have to translate kana and recognise Japanese vocabulary on a regular basis I'll get better at it.
CDarklock

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 02.12.2006 4:19 am

I'm the same way. I know very little Hiragana, even less Katakana, and a tiny bit of Kanji. Occasionally I will recognize a little bit of something someone said and understand that little bit, and that's enough to lift my spirits. One step forward. Many steps to go, but at least i'm getting somewhere.

I am studying Japanese so I can move to Japan when I leave home. The country and its people have always fascinated me. I just turned 16 a month and a half ago, so I have about two years to go until I move out. Plenty of time to study Japanese enough to get me by when I move there. Trouble is, I don't get on the computer very often and I have no books or cassettes on Japanese so I don't study it much. Then I forget a little bit by the next time I get online, and I have to re-memorize some stuff. Like today, just minutes ago, I spent a half hour refreshing some of my Hiragana. It's going to take me a LONG time to learn the language efficiently enough to hold up a conversation in the language (which I will undoubtedly have to do when I go to the country), and far longer to become fluent. But it'll all be worth it in the long run.
Takeo Saeki

Return to Introductions