Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - hello?

hello?

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

hello?

Postby ookina-usagi » Thu 03.23.2006 1:10 pm

Hello, my name is Mike. I've been learning Japanese on my own for the last several months. I can read hiragana/katakana and recognize the meanings of some kanji but my vocabulary is rather small. Meaning, I may be saying the sounds but don't know what the words mean.

I've found this site to be a great help, it's one of the dozen or so nihongo sites I visit daily.

What brings me to the forum - I have a few questions. First, I wanted to choose a screen name that perhaps reflected a bit of myself. Does kyousagi mean large bunny? My wife sometimes calls me a big bunny and I thought it'd make a good name.

Also, one of the sites I frequent is http://www.kanjisite.com/index.html. I don't understand why a kanji character has so many meanings, or rather when to use which one. For instance:

ICHI / ITSU / hito / hito(tsu) - one

If I were reading some text and there was, and I don't know how to type Japanese here at work on winXP - at home it's easy on my iBook - sorry, back to it - there was a horizontal line (ichi) how would I know which of the above options to pronounce it as?

I have more questions but this is enough for now.

Thanks to you all,
kyousagi? (mike)
ookina-usagi

RE: hello?

Postby richvh » Thu 03.23.2006 1:25 pm

Context explains all.
The ICHI reading is used when 一 appears by itself, or as part of a larger number. ITSU is used when 一 is part of a compound, for instance 画一, kakuitsu, uniformity. hito- is used with a small number of counters, principally
一つ hitotsu, one thing
一人 hitori, one person
Then there's the oddball
一日 tsuitachi, first day of the month

As for your screen name, I think "ookii usagi" or "ookina usagi" would be better. Kyo is a noun, not an adjective.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby ookina-usagi » Thu 03.23.2006 2:07 pm

As for your screen name, I think "ookii usagi" or "ookina usagi" would be better.

What is the difference between ookii and ookina? Are they both adjectives meaning big? When would you use one instead of the other?

I wasn't finished...

Thank you by the way. I really appreciate it.

mike
Last edited by ookina-usagi on Thu 03.23.2006 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ookina-usagi

Postby richvh » Thu 03.23.2006 2:37 pm

ookina-usagi wrote:
As for your screen name, I think "ookii usagi" or "ookina usagi" would be better.

What is the difference between ookii and ookina? Are they both adjectives meaning big? When would you use one instead of the other?

I wasn't finished...

Thank you by the way. I really appreciate it.

mike

There was a bit of a discussion on just this point recently, on this thread. (Scroll down to Oracle's post.) Basically, both mean "big", and while there are official differences in usage, it boils down to personal preference in practice.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby ookina-usagi » Thu 03.23.2006 2:55 pm

Thanks Richard, that link was a great one. I should have thought to search the forum... I guess I was so excited I'd come up with a name I got carried away.

Another point, if I wanted to convey the idea of a bunny personified or a person bunnified would I just add jin to the end of usagi? Usagijin?
ookina-usagi

Postby AJBryant » Thu 03.23.2006 7:26 pm

Another point, if I wanted to convey the idea of a bunny personified or a person bunnified would I just add jin to the end of usagi? Usagijin

Dammit, my head just exploded again.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby ookina-usagi » Fri 03.24.2006 11:22 am

Dammit, my head just exploded again.

So, I take it that's not correct? ;)

Tony, I've been to your website before - it's quite impressive. You are a jewel to this web community.

mike
ookina-usagi

Return to Introductions