Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hello...

Hello...

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hello...

Postby Aero » Sat 04.15.2006 1:33 pm

I'm Lily. I live in the U.S. currently and I am 15. I wanted to learn japanese for the longest time but I could never find the time to do it. But starting now, I'm gonna start learning and hopefully one day I can actually say,"I know JAPANESE!" My first priority is to learn katakana. Since I'm chinese, but I only know a small amount of characters, Kanji would be easier for me to recognize so I'll target that last not to mention Kanji is alot harder to memorize. I want to go to Japan someday, when my family has the money or such, and just go everywhere. I want to see the cherry blossom trees, landscape, Fuji and every part of Japan. I'd also like to check out their stores for manga and games, but before I do, I guess I'd better learn my japanese right? I know this site will help alot and hopefully, I can make some friends here...

I haven't seen many people describing themselves but it is an introduction page after all...

I'm 5'5
I like to play video games and draw anime
I'm trying to teach myself piano, so I'm opened to tips if anyone has any
I'm tomboyish as people say... people still think I look like a guy-_- and yeah their kinda right, I have short hair, boyish clothing and I hate makeup and such
I'm sarcastic... or at least I think
And I'm killing myself by being in the 'IB' program but maybe one day they'll have a student exchange program to go to japan

I think thats enough intro for now...
\"It is that ignorance and desire within us that we can never subdue.\"
Aero

RE: Hello...

Postby kanadajin » Sat 04.15.2006 1:52 pm

Hello and Welcome to TJP Aero :D If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask them:)
kanadajin

Postby Christian_ » Sat 04.15.2006 2:32 pm

はじめましてAeroさん。 Feel free to ask any questions if you have any, and may I suggest learning Hiragana first, since its more common. Anyway I hope you like it here, またね;)
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby Sachi » Sat 04.15.2006 2:40 pm

Hey, and welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll do fine with Japanese, and get a lot out of the resources here ;) So just pull up a seat, post a little, and you'll have many friends here very soon! :)
Sachi

Postby Aero » Sat 04.15.2006 3:08 pm

Nice to meet you all and thanks for the welcoming^^... 'KuRiSuChaN' so I should learn Hiragana first? Ok I'll try it! Thanks
Aero

Postby kanadajin » Sat 04.15.2006 3:23 pm

Yup Hiragana then Katakana then I would go on to grammar. Or you could try to learn kanji.
kanadajin

Postby Txkun » Sat 04.15.2006 3:42 pm

Welcome Aero!
I'm happy to see that you are so motivated!
Please, ganbatte kudasai.

As a tips I would say:

learn to read/write well hiragana/katakana
(hitomisan now is teaching them at http://www.japancast.net/ and in this site too there is great material)
learn a bit of grammar on this site and then get a good book to have something you can bring with you everywhere and study a little
come in chat to learn new words
(there is often great people that can help you)
after you get well hiragana/katakana start kanji. I'm learning following the JLPT order but I think anything based on frequency would be fine (e.g. http://www.thejapanesepage.com/kanji/list.php?jlpt=4).

to improve listening:
Since i think you like anime, I think watching it in japanese with subtitles could get you motivated and pickup words (anyway in anime they talk anime-like so don't use that in japan :))

There are great podcast like Japancast and JapanesePod101.
I think they can really help you improving pronunciation.

As in everything, have fun! :D
Last edited by Txkun on Sat 04.15.2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby Sachi » Sat 04.15.2006 3:47 pm

I used to use those Podcasts :D They were eating up all the space on my iPod, though. I haven't checked them out in awhile, but when I did, they were pretty good, in my opinion. (especially for my listening ;))
Sachi

Postby Aero » Sat 04.15.2006 4:18 pm

People here are so helpfull... maybe thats another reason why I love this site. 'Txkun' thanks for sharing such great tips and I think I'll try out the Podcasts since both you and Sachi said they were good.
Last edited by Aero on Sat 04.15.2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aero

Return to Introductions