The one and only

New members may introduce themselves in this forum
Jonobugs

The one and only

Post by Jonobugs » Wed 06.20.2007 11:49 am

Good Evening, こんばんわ and all that jazz.

I'm new to this site so I thought I would tip my hat and bid everyone a hearty hello. I've been poked around the internet a lot and have seen many other sites, but I have to admit this site really outdoes all the others both in content and style.

I'm not really new to Japan though. I've been here a little over two years and I love it!

When I first arrived I thought that I would do my best to learn the language and even settled down into a routine to begin the basics. I didn't think it would be that hard...I mean sure, it may take a few years but....

So that lasted about 2 months. Then I became really busy and my studies went by the wayside. I had only learned the hiragana, katakana and maybe about 50 kanji. I learned some basic phrases and a bit of vocabulary.

Since then, I have been trying to learn off and on but I think the biggest obstacle was myself. I seem to always have a good excuse. Finding a new job, new apartment, and then girlfriend. Amazing how something always pops up and I put my studies aside...just for now.

Now, I find that I've been here for over 2 years and haven't seriously studied past the first two months. I've picked up stuff here and there, but I can't say that I'm much beyond the basic beginner. WOW.

This past month, I really decided to do something about my procrastination and I'm once again determined to do more than buy books and leave them on my shelf.

I've signed up for a class (which admittedly sucks) and I also have some friends that are willing to converse with me. Unfortunately, nothing is really structured and I'm all about structure. So...I think it's just up to me to make my own way!!

Finding and joining this site is just one of the tools I've decided to use.

For those people with little or no lives who have read this rambling message...I'm sorry!! :D But, thanks for hearing me out. I hope that I can contribute in some way to the forums and I look forward to meeting everyone!

Cheers,

Jono ;)

richvh

RE: The one and only

Post by richvh » Wed 06.20.2007 11:57 am

Welcome to the site!
Spoiler:
But it's spelled こんばん
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語

clay
Site Admin

Post by clay » Wed 06.20.2007 12:28 pm

Welcome to the site!

Sometimes sink or swim is the best way. When I lived in Japan I tried my best to stay away from other English speakers and I spent a lot of time with my Japanese friends.

Eventually all my Japanese friends who had at first spoken English to me, began speaking to me in Japanese.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone

Zinzo

Post by Zinzo » Wed 06.20.2007 1:10 pm

Man, you sound a lot like me. I too have a terrible habit of procrastination. Sadly I had given up my studies for close to a year and have only recently come back (really around 4-5 days ago ;)) But anyway, good luck in your studies and have fun with it! :D
Some people are like Slinkies, not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs.
:D

Jonobugs

Post by Jonobugs » Sat 06.23.2007 11:44 am

Hi Again,

Thanks for all the welcomes :)

Oh, and Rich, er...thanks for the tip. Ha ha ha...I've been saying it for years and I didn't even realize that the wa was a particle....or whatever it's called. I'm sure it was mentioned in one of my many studies, but I guess if I could have remembered that I wouldn't be having so many problems with the whole language things still.

After looking at the site, I've been trying to follow some advice I read. I've just started reading Remembering the Kanji. It's pretty good, but I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't contain all the sounds. I guess I can look them up but that's the hardest about remembering kanji for me. Remembering what the symbol means is actually pretty easy. Doesn't help that there are on and kun sounds not to mention the myriad of sounds that aren't even included in the texts.

My personal belief is that whoever invented the written language did it on a dare and is probably still laughing about the whole thing. I can just see him or her now... "oh oh...and let's make it so that it's impossible to know what the words sound like even if you can read them...*snicker*.... that way we can always look a bit offended when it's misprounounced...HAAHA HAHA HA HA .... Oh, it's so hard to keep a straight face..."

Cheers,

Jono