Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 南総里見八犬伝(文語版)

南総里見八犬伝(文語版)

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

Re: 南総里見八犬伝(文語版)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 08.26.2008 9:12 pm

Oh, I thought that was a typo for すぐれるもの, or that it was 過ぐる, although that would be odd since it's older than すぎる.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Tue 08.26.2008 9:23 pm

What's interesting is that the modern translation seems to change 不孝 into 不幸, which does make the sentence make more sense. "Nothing would bring the ancestors more sorrow than for the father and son to die in battle." Doesn't seem very chivalric, but there you have it.

That's a henkan miss on my part (can't copy and paste from the modern text because of copy protection.) The modern text does have 不孝. When I translated this bit from the modern version a while back (I ought to dig out and link to that thread) (Edit: here it is I translated as something like "Nothing is more impious to our ancestors than this." (Presumably because no one would be left to venerate them.)

Next sentence in Suemoto's speech:
京(きやう)鎌倉(かまくら)を敵(てき)とし受(うけ)て、貳(ふた)ごゝろを存(ぞん)ずることなく、勢竭(いきほひつ)き、力窮(ちからきわま)り、落城(らくぜう)のけふに至(いた)りて、父(ちゝ)は節義(せつぎ)の為(ため)に死(し)し、子(こ)は又(また)親(おや)の為(ため)に脱(のが)れて、一命(いちめい)をたもつとも、何(なに)かは羞(はづ)る事あらん。

Modernized:
京(きょう)鎌倉(かまくら)を敵(てき)とし受(う)けて、二(ふた)ごころを存(ぞん)じることなく、勢(いきおい)尽(つ)き、力(ちから)窮(きわ)まり、落城(らくじょう)のきょうに至(いた)って、父(ちち)は節義(せつぎ)の為(ため)に死(し)んで、子(こ)はまた親(おや)の為(ため)に逃(のが)れて、一命(いちめい)をたもっても、何(なに)かは恥(は)じる事ない。

Translation:
Having both Kyoto and Kamakura as enemies, without split loyalties, exhausting my power and at the end of my strength, having reached this day when the castle is falling, I, your father, will die for my principals, you, my son, will flee for my sake, if even one life is saved, it is not something to be ashamed of.

I'm not at all sure I've interpreted the あらん at the end correctly or not; it seems to make more sense in context if it's negative rather than future conjecture.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Garappachi » Wed 08.27.2008 2:19 am

richvh wrote:Next sentence in Suemoto's speech:
京(きやう)鎌倉(かまくら)を敵(てき)とし受(うけ)て、貳(ふた)ごゝろを存(ぞん)ずることなく、勢竭(いきほひつ)き、力窮(ちからきわま)り、落城(らくぜう)のけふに至(いた)りて、父(ちゝ)は節義(せつぎ)の為(ため)に死(し)し、子(こ)は又(また)親(おや)の為(ため)に脱(のが)れて、一命(いちめい)をたもつとも、何(なに)かは羞(はづ)る事あらん。

大雑把に現代風に訳してみました。^^

京鎌倉(※現政権)を敵に回し、偽りの心を持たず(に戦い、そして)勢いがなくなり、力尽きて落城した今日において、父は(侍の)道理のために死に、そして、その子は親のために生き延びたとしても、何故、恥じることがあるだろうか?(いや、恥じることはない。)

※武家にとって、家系を絶やすことは何より「してはいけないこと」という考えが背後にあります。
Garappachi

Native language: にほんご

Postby inuinu » Wed 08.27.2008 9:34 am

では、私はおおまかな意訳をしてみます。

京鎌倉という強大な相手を敵にしているのに、最後の最後まで「逃げよう」や「降伏しよう」など
という他の心になることなく、落城まで首尾一貫して「勇敢に戦う」という心だけを持って迷わず戦ってきたことは
武家として恥ずかしいことではない。それでも力及ばずに落城してしまったが、父は元を喪うことを忘れずに武家の本分を守って、名誉のために死を覚悟して最後まで恐れず勇敢に戦って死ぬのだし、子は「武家の本分として、家を絶やさないでほしい」という父のたっての願いをかなえるために逃げるのだから、人間としても武家としても、子は本分を貫いたことになる。だから里見家としてもお前自身としても何も恥ずかしくはないだろう。

こんな感じですかね。あくまで古典や古語表現にそれほど詳しくない私の個人的解釈ですが。

"my"とか"you"の感覚というより、
「ひとつの武家」という括りを客観的に見た意見を述べる事で諭そうとしている感じです。
一部を例に挙げると、satomi's father, will die for his principals. というような感じですかね。
ここで挙げる英語訳にもこのような意訳を混ぜていただけると、
どのあたりの解釈が不自然なのかが私にとってはわかりやすくなるので、指摘もしやすくなるのですが…。
tasukeru kotoga dekiru nara
tasuketai to omou.
dakedo eigo ha nigate.
inuinu

Postby richvh » Wed 08.27.2008 9:55 am

Garappachi wrote:
richvh wrote:Next sentence in Suemoto's speech:

大雑把に現代風に訳してみました。^^

京鎌倉(※現政権)を敵に回し、偽りの心を持たず(に戦い、そして)勢いがなくなり、力尽きて落城した今日において、父は(侍の)道理のために死に、そして、その子は親のために生き延びたとしても、何故、恥じることがあるだろうか?(いや、恥じることはない。)

※武家にとって、家系を絶やすことは何より「してはいけないこと」という考えが背後にあります。

inuinu wrote:京鎌倉という強大な相手を敵にしているのに、最後の最後まで「逃げよう」や「降伏しよう」など
という他の心になることなく、落城まで首尾一貫して「勇敢に戦う」という心だけを持って迷わず戦ってきたことは
武家として恥ずかしいことではない。それでも力及ばずに落城してしまったが、父は元を喪うことを忘れずに武家の本分を守って、名誉のために死を覚悟して最後まで恐れず勇敢に戦って死ぬのだし、子は「武家の本分として、家を絶やさないでほしい」という父のたっての願いをかなえるために逃げるのだから、人間としても武家としても、子は本分を貫いたことになる。だから里見家としてもお前自身としても何も恥ずかしくはないだろう。

こんな感じですかね。あくまで古典や古語表現にそれほど詳しくない私の個人的解釈ですが。

"my"とか"you"の感覚というより、
「ひとつの武家」という括りを客観的に見た意見を述べる事で諭そうとしている感じです。
一部を例に挙げると、satomi's father, will die for his principals. というような感じですかね。
ここで挙げる英語訳にもこのような意訳を混ぜていただけると、
どのあたりの解釈が不自然なのかが私にとってはわかりやすくなるので、指摘もしやすくなるのですが…。

I see. So the last bit should be more like, "If the father should die for his principals, and the son should flee for the father's sake and preserve his life, would there be anything to be ashamed of?"

The rest of Suemoto's speech, and the bit up to Yoshizane's reply:
速(すみやか)に殺脱(きりぬけ)て、時節(じせつ)を俟(まち)て家(いへ)を興(おこ)せ。とく/\落(おち)よ」といそがせは、義実(よしさね)は聞(きゝ)あへず、鞍坪(くらつぼ)に頭(かうべ)を低(さげ)、

Modernized:
速(すみ)やかに切(き)り抜(ぬ)けて、時節(じせつ)を待(ま)って家(いへ)を興(おこ)せ。とくとく落(お)ちよ」といそがせは、義実(よしざね)は聞(き)きあえず、鞍坪(くらつぼ)に頭(こうべ)を下(さ)げ、

Translation:
Quickly cut your way free, and await the time to revive our house's fortunes. Drop out of sight." Yoshizane could not bear to hear his father's urgings, and hung his head over his pommel, ...

I'm not entirely sure I've parsed とく/\落よ properly, and I don't know if 鞍坪 is referring to a part of the saddle, or what. I went with "pommel" as that's the front part of a saddle, so the part most likely to be seen if looking down while sitting in it. (I was thinking of using "saddle horn", but a military saddle wouldn't likely have that - it's more a feature of a US Western-style saddle - the place you dog a rope to.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby vkladchik » Wed 08.27.2008 10:10 am

richvh wrote:I'm not at all sure I've interpreted the あらん at the end correctly or not; it seems to make more sense in context if it's negative rather than future conjecture.

Yudan Taiteki will know more about this, but from what I've read, it looks like that む(ん), combined with a か or や preceding it in the clause or sentence, creates a rhetorical question whose answer is the opposite of what's being asked. In other words, in my nanchatte kogo, これや書かむ would be "would someone write this? (Of course not.)" In fact, this exact pattern ("[question]? Of course not.") is very common as a MJ translation of this construction in the kogo books I have. Even Garappachi uses it in his translation.

Also, the negative would be あらず, I think. ぬ as a negative (becoming ん in the west and ない in the east) is a later thing. (I think, again.)
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby vkladchik » Wed 08.27.2008 10:16 am

richvh wrote:I don't know if 鞍坪 is referring to a part of the saddle, or what.

For 鞍壺, Kojien has: 鞍の前輪(まえわ)と後輪(しずわ)との間、すなわち人のまたがる所。くらかさ。According to this, it would be the saddle seat. He'd have to be dismounted to do this, of course.
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby richvh » Wed 08.27.2008 10:19 am

vkladchik wrote:Also, the negative would be あらず, I think. ぬ as a negative (becoming ん in the west and ない in the east) is a later thing. (I think, again.)

It's not so much that it's later, as that ぬ is the 連体形 while ず is the 終止形. Since that's the end of the sentence, I really shouldn't have been considering it to be ぬ.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 08.27.2008 10:27 am

As vkladchik said it's the seat rather than the pommel. Here's a diagram. The くらつぼ is number 5.

Also DON'T ever do a GIS for くらつぼ.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.27.2008 10:48 am

richvh wrote:
vkladchik wrote:Also, the negative would be あらず, I think. ぬ as a negative (becoming ん in the west and ない in the east) is a later thing. (I think, again.)

It's not so much that it's later, as that ぬ is the 連体形 while ず is the 終止形. Since that's the end of the sentence, I really shouldn't have been considering it to be ぬ.

Well, there is a か earlier in the sentence that can affect things but the 係り結び may not be as evident in Edo Japanese as it is in Heian. vkladchik is right that the ぬ -> ん is later, though.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby richvh » Wed 08.27.2008 11:31 am

Beginning of Yoshizane's reply. (And here is ぬ being used at the end of a sentence. Shocking! Oh, wait, this is a different ぬ.)
「うけ給わり候ひぬ。しかはあれど、親(おや)の必死(ひつし)を外(よそ)に見て、阿容々々(おめ/\)と脱(のが)るゝことは、三才(さんさい)の小児(せうに)も要(えう)せじ。

Modernized a bit.
「うけてくださいました。そうではあるが、親(おや)の必死(ひっし)を外(よそ)に見て、おめおめと逃(のが)れることは、三才(さんさい)の小児(しょうに)も要(よう)しない。

Translation:
"I accept that. It is as you say, but seeing a parent's certain death from afar, and shamelessly fleeing is not necessary even for a toddler of three.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Garappachi » Wed 08.27.2008 11:39 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Well, there is a か earlier in the sentence that can affect things but the 係り結び may not be as evident in Edo Japanese as it is in Heian. vkladchik is right that the ぬ -> ん is later, though.

うーん、これは係り結び(江戸期にはすでに滅びていたはず。)ではなく、「何かは」という疑問詞が来ているので、vkladchikさんご指摘のように 、一種の反語表現でないでしょうか?正確には「何かは羞る事あらん。」となるところでしょうが・・・。
Garappachi

Native language: にほんご

Postby richvh » Wed 08.27.2008 12:39 pm

Next bit of Yoshizane's reply.
况(いはんや)弓箭(ゆみや)の家(いへ)に生(うま)れて、某(それがし)こゝに十九歳(さい)。

Modernized:
况(いわ)んや弓矢(ゆみや)の家(いえ)に生(う)まれて、某(それがし)ここに十九歳(さい)。

Leaving aside the fact that I was born into a warrior household, I am now 17.

Is the contrast between 才 (used for the toddler's age in the previous bit) and 歳 (used here for Yoshizane's age) significant?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby richvh » Wed 08.27.2008 8:22 pm

Yoshizane's speech continues.
文武(ぶんぶ)の道(みち)にわけ入りて、順逆(じゆんぎやく)邪正(じやせう)、古人(こじん)の得失(とくしつ)、大概(おほかた)はこれをしれり。

Modernized:
文武(ぶんぶ)の道(みち)にわけ入って、順逆(じゅんぎゃく)邪正(じゃしょう)、古人(こじん)の得失(とくしつ)、大概(おおかた)はこれをしれた。

Translation:
I have toiled on the path of the pen and the sword, and became acquainted for the most part with right and wrong, and the faults and virtues of the ancients.

The past couple of sections didn't get any comments, am I moving too fast? Too slow?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.27.2008 8:35 pm

richvh wrote:Yoshizane's speech continues.
文武(ぶんぶ)の道(みち)にわけ入りて、順逆(じゆんぎやく)邪正(じやせう)、古人(こじん)の得失(とくしつ)、大概(おほかた)はこれをしれり。

Modernized:
文武(ぶんぶ)の道(みち)にわけ入って、順逆(じゅんぎゃく)邪正(じゃしょう)、古人(こじん)の得失(とくしつ)、大概(おおかた)はこれをしれた。

しれり is more like している than しれた.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

PreviousNext

Return to History and Literature Discussions