Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need Advice on Japanese Fairy Tales!!!

Need Advice on Japanese Fairy Tales!!!

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

Need Advice on Japanese Fairy Tales!!!

Postby Tuna12 » Wed 02.19.2014 7:57 pm

Hi everyone! I am absolutely new here and it is my first experience talking on forums. So i hope i am doing it right ;) and please excuse me for my typos. English is my second language, and I am just starting to learn Japanese.

Guys, I need your advice on Japanese fairy tales!

Right now I am working on the kid’s app called 'Fairy Tales Children Stories.' It is a growing audio collection of fairy tales from around the world, and i am looking for any unique, interesting and any popular fairy tales to include in my list.

Japanese culture always interested me personally, and if someone knows what fairy tales / myths / legends are popular in Japan, I will be very grateful.

I've read the book called 'Japanese Fairy Tales' by Yei Theodora Ozaki. It's pretty cool, and I took some stories from there, but I actually don't know if they are favorites in Japan.

So I will be grateful for any advice, suggestions, and guidance.

Thanks for stoping by at my post and wish you to have an awesome day!
Tuna12

Native language: Russian

Re: Need Advice on Japanese Fairy Tales!!!

Postby hariharidax2 » Thu 02.20.2014 1:56 pm

Hi! Tuna12,

These are very famous Japanese Fairy Tales,
Everybody knows.(Certainly)

Title, (Japanese Title)

THE TONGUE-CUT SPARROW (したきりすずめ)
THE STORY OF URASHIMA TARO, THE FISHER LAD (うらしまたろう)
THE ADVENTURES OF KINTARO, THE GOLDEN BOY (きんたろう)
THE BAMBOO-CUTTER AND THE MOON-CHILD (かぐやひめ)
THE STORY OF THE OLD MAN WHO MADE WITHERED TREES TO FLOWER (はなさかじいさん)
THE QUARREL OF THE MONKEY AND THE CRAB (さるかにがっせん)
MOMOTARO, OR THE STORY OF THE SON OF A PEACH (ももたろう)
HOW AN OLD MAN LOST HIS WEN (こぶとりじいさん)

:wave:
hariharidax2

Native language: japanese

Re: Need Advice on Japanese Fairy Tales!!!

Postby loveinjapanese2014 » Sun 03.16.2014 11:57 am

1.Momotaro (ももたろ or Peach Taro): The story of a young boy, born from a peach

2.Ikkyu San (一休, Mr. Ikkyu): A tale of a young boy’s adventures on his path to becoming a Buddhist monk.

3. Kasajizo (かさじぞう or Bamboo Hat Guardians): A story of a poor old couple and the magical stone, guardian statues (Jizo).

4.Hanasakajisan (はなさかじいさん or ): An old man and his dog. Sounds like your average run of the mill story, but IT’S DEFINITELY NOT! Super interesting.

5.Urashimataro (うらしまたろう): story of a fisherman who saves a turtle and is shown the beauties of an underwater kingdom. If you have a chance to read it, please let me know, it kind of made me wonder if the moral of the story is “Don’t save sea turtles.” When you read it, you’ll know what I mean.

6.Shitakirisuzume (したきりすずめ or Tongue-Cut Sparrow): The tale of (yet another) old man who saves the life of a sparrow.

7.Issunboshi (いっすんぼぼうし or One Sun Son): I don’t know if you’re familiar with the story of Tom Thumb, but this story is almost like a cross between Tom Thumb and a samurai story. A small boy, the size of “one sun” (approximately 3 cm) who is raised by a loving couple, goes on samurai quest.

8.Kaguyahime (かぐやひめ or Princess Kaguya): Another interesting story of children sprouting from strange objects. This time, a bamboo cutter finds a young girl inside of a bamboo stalk. It seems like folk tales have figured out a way to get past the whole business of labor pains.

9.Tsuru no ongaeshi (つるのおんがえし or The Crane’s Repayment): Weird but good. Hey! It’s a young man this time! A young man who rescues a crane.

10.Kobutorijisan (こぶとりじいさん or Plump Old Men (I don’t know if my translation is accurate)): The story of two old men with cysts. I wish I had another explanation, but that’s exactly what the story is about…I kid you not.
A one stop shop guide to help you understand Japanese girls and Japanese love culture. - See more at: http://loveinjapanese.net
loveinjapanese2014

Native language: English

Return to History and Literature Discussions