Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Trial (line 1-4)

Trial (line 1-4)

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

RE: Trial

Postby cybermat » Wed 03.15.2006 11:46 am

I am curious how would you say Bastard in Japanese? :D

richvh san, sorry for not responding to you in the chat last night. I am slow in typing Japanese.
cybermat

Postby AJBryant » Wed 03.15.2006 12:58 pm

I am curious how would you say Bastard in Japanese?

In what context? Indicating illegitimacy, or making an insult?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby lucky419 » Wed 03.15.2006 3:07 pm

Ah, thank you Sachi. That is what I though it was but I just wanted some conformation. Looking forward to Groups A and B putting in their 2-cents on this. :)
lucky419

Postby Kates » Wed 03.15.2006 4:16 pm

私も参加したい〜 どうする? I'll need to go through all 4 pages of this thread when I have some time to catch up, though. ^^;
Kates

Postby Sachi » Wed 03.15.2006 5:20 pm

Have fun, Kates ;)

I really don't think too much happend, besides sorting out the groups and people posting thier translations.
Sachi

Postby ss » Wed 03.15.2006 7:04 pm

Coco-san wrote : 15-03-2006 17:39(EST) is limit of group C. Please post your translation^^

* At least 50% of C members contributed, shall we call upon B members ?

* Oni-san, thanks. Pls also refer to "How to keep the trial thread effectively" :)

* ↓ BlackRider-san, good luck with your exam ! (Pass with flying colours ~~) ;)
Last edited by ss on Thu 03.16.2006 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby BlackRider » Wed 03.15.2006 7:04 pm

I'm sorry, due to exams this week I will not have time to reply. So, please go on without me. I'll catch up next week. :)
BlackRider

Postby richvh » Wed 03.15.2006 7:33 pm

Time's up, B group's turn.

First, the over-literal translation:

Since the private room of this side was shut up, I entered the neighboring one.

However, we know the narrator pulled into a service area, which wouldn't have individual restrooms, rather it would have large restrooms with multiple toilets, so 個室 doesn't refer to the restroom, but to the stalls within it (thanks for the hint, Justin!) Further, since restroom stalls lock from the inside, if the door is shut, someone is probably in there. So, this is my favored translation:

[spoiler]Since the first stall was occupied, I went into the next one.[/spoiler]
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Kates » Wed 03.15.2006 8:16 pm

(I'm gonna jump in with group B until I get officially 'sorted')

I thought the idea of the narrator going into the restroom of the opposite sex sounded like a possibility, since this is a story and some event or problem will most likely occur... (and as with 'highway' vs 'freeway' and 'bathroom' vs 'restroom,' I wonder about the subtle translation differences)... but rich makes a good point.

Hence, my favored translation:
[spoiler]Since the stall in front of me was occupied, I entered the one next to it.[/spoiler]

Oh, and the "bastard" stuff.... cybermat, I think that translation came from a 'misreading' of the word 手前 (てまえ). This word is sometimes used to offend someone you are talking to--it is considered quite rude. A more 'informal' way to say it (kind of like slang) is "temee," which a lot of learners pick up from watching anime.
Last edited by Kates on Wed 03.15.2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kates

Postby AJBryant » Wed 03.15.2006 11:10 pm

A more 'informal' way to say it (kind of like slang) is "temee," which a lot of learners pick up from watching anime.

I learned mine from watching Sugawara Bunta's yakuza movies. B)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby natemb » Thu 03.16.2006 5:15 am

Again, I think richvh's literal translation gets all the important points of the Japanese sentence. This is my version for natural English: [spoiler]The first stall was occupied, so I went into the one next to it.[/spoiler]
Nothing new or radical. I wasn't sure about ふさがっている. When I found it defined as "blocked up" I was thinking of translating it as "locked", but I looked up some examples and it seems to be frequently used to mean "occupied" or "tied up", so I agree with richvh, kates and mechakucha on this one.
natemb

Postby coco » Thu 03.16.2006 12:39 pm

ではAグループの方、お待たせいたしましたが、参加をお願いします。:)
余力のある方は(Bの方でも)以下に挑戦してみてください。

1)「手前」という言葉の意味について分かりやすくCに説明する。
例:「新宿駅のひとつ手前で(電車を)降りて、そこから歩いた。」などの例文をひとつ作って解説を加える。

2)「手前味噌」という慣用句があります。その由来と意味を調べてみましょう。
この言葉は、あまり頻繁に使われる言葉ではありませんので、他の方に説明する必要はありません。日本語の語彙を増やしたい方のご参考になればと思い、紹介するものです。:)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby richvh » Thu 03.16.2006 8:45 pm

Group B's day is up, time for Group A to chime in.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Justin » Thu 03.16.2006 11:38 pm

A rather interesting turn of events in our story here, should be fun to see how things turn out for our main character.

Anyway, this is what I came up with for my translation…

[spoiler]Seeing as how someone was already in the first stall, I just took the next one over.[/spoiler]

Now, not saying that my translation is perfect by any means (I’m sure far from it), but there’s just something that kind of caught my eye here. When you’re doing translations like these, you don’t HAVE to translate word for word. Just because the Japanese has the word ‘enter’ in it, doesn’t mean you absolutely have to use the word ‘enter’ when you translate it to English.

Generally, it seem like everyone has a good grip of what’s going on here, but it seems to me if before we post our translation, it might be a good idea to maybe read things out loud, as I’m sure many would stop and think “hmmmm…this just doesn’t sound right” or “I doubt anyone would actually say that” when they did that. Just kind of throwing some stuff out there.

As per coco’s request, here’s a quick breakdown of 手前 and its many uses

Generally speaking, 手前 is used to express “before” or “in front,” but rather than just having just some generic definition like that, it might be best to throw some quick little examples out here, giving people hopefully a good idea of how things are actually used.

新宿駅のひとつ手前で降りてください
Please get off one stop before Shinjuku train station.

トニーは日本語をマスターする一歩手前です。
Tony is within inches of mastering Japanese.

手前に引いてドアを開ける
pull open the door

That’s about all I can come up with right now, I’m sure there’s probably some more, so if you guys have some other uses of 手前 that we haven’t already covered, please feel free to add them.
Justin

Postby AJBryant » Fri 03.17.2006 12:14 am

トニーは日本語をマスターする一歩手前です。
Tony is within inches of mastering Japanese.

自分の夢の中に,ね。:p

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to History and Literature Discussions