Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - WAKE ME UP!

WAKE ME UP!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

WAKE ME UP!

Postby Kisshu » Fri 12.21.2007 1:52 am

GRAR! Any suggestions? I'm cramming tonight for an exam tomorrow.. I know the blah blah blah studies show that if you sleep you do better on tests, but even after I studied as much as I did, I feel no where near prepared..

and I feel like I'm gonna crash. So far, I drank a whooollle buncha mountain dew and green tea.. and jumped around on the trampoline. Still feeling tired.

Gyar. Suggestions?
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

RE: WAKE ME UP!

Postby Clochi » Fri 12.21.2007 2:07 am

You could take some Coffe and Amphetamine, that would really wake you up.
But them again, I really won't suggest you to take any of that stuff.

You should have gone earlier in bed. :D
Clochi

Postby Kisshu » Fri 12.21.2007 2:10 am

I know.. but I don't know half of the material yet... crap.. and I've been studying for DAYS. (of course, I've had other finals too)
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby Clochi » Fri 12.21.2007 2:25 am

What about an ice cold shower and a quick reveiw of what you have study?
Maybe something will pop up? Anyway, its the only advice i can give you.
Clochi

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Fri 12.21.2007 8:28 am

Give it up I say. Or hit the hay for a few hours and just force yourself out of bed really (like seriously) early. Ensuring you have at least 3 hours study time before you have to get out and take the test. To be honest though, in all my years of test taking very little has ever come out of last minute cramming I tend to just read the information and not absorb it at that point.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.21.2007 9:47 am

Kisshu wrote:
GRAR! Any suggestions? I'm cramming tonight for an exam tomorrow.. I know the blah blah blah studies show that if you sleep you do better on tests, but even after I studied as much as I did, I feel no where near prepared..

and I feel like I'm gonna crash. So far, I drank a whooollle buncha mountain dew and green tea.. and jumped around on the trampoline. Still feeling tired.

Gyar. Suggestions?

nervousness is teh bodies way of dealing with stress. if you add caffeine or any other stimulants to that, you will overload your body. get some rest, wake up early and calm down a bit. everyone feels like they aren't ready. that's normal. trying to make yourself feel prepared by slamming enough caffeine into you to kill an elephant is not.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Chris Hart » Fri 12.21.2007 10:34 am

Check this link out for what 2heads_talkingさん is talking about.
Stress

I personally wouldn't advocate significantly deviating from your normal level of caffeine durring finals, either, as the symptoms of withdrawal may also be detrimental to your tests. If you normally have a high level of caffeine in your blood, you might want to concider one of these options to maintain your typical caffeine level. Many of these products, at least of the beverage variety, would be available at your local truck stop. (At least here in the states. I can't comment on other parts of the world.)
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby Wakannai » Fri 12.21.2007 12:04 pm

Yes.

Generally, you're better off going to the test as you are, but well rested, than cramming without sleep then taking the test.

Your lack of rest and brain overload from the cramming will make you kick yourself after the test is over when you see how many "easy" questions you missed, that you knew the answers to before you crammed, because you were too stressed from the cramming.

go to sleep.

Wake up early, but don't cram. Instead you should be reviewing. And all a review is, is re-exposing your brain to stuff you should already know. You shouldn't be trying to memorize stuff, you should be trying to move knowledge out of your dormant memory into your active memory through recent exposure.

Show up to class 30 mins early and open your textbook. Then just quickly re-read all your highlighted text, or underlined text and notes. You did take notes right?

I've found a nice short and sweet review alone is usually worth 10-20 points.

When I took the ASVAB, the SAT, and the PSAT tests, all I did was go buy the test-prep book the very day of the test, or the day before. I spent an hour scanning all of the commentary. Then I spent the last 5-10 minutes before the test just trying to relax and get my brain to treat the test as an everyday occurance. On no test that I prepared for thus have I ever scored below 95%. Of course, on normal classes, I just used my notes, and--if I didn't highlight or underline in my textbook--I just scanned the appropriate chapters for all italics and bolded text and read the sentence before and after.
Last edited by Wakannai on Fri 12.21.2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby Kisshu » Fri 12.21.2007 1:39 pm

Haha thanks for the advise guys. Actually, I did sleep for like and hour and a half and felt quite refreshed. Then I rewoke at 5 and studied some more. Haha.. I even studied history in my high school math class XDDD.

So I took the test, and I think I did A-ok! Actually, part of the test was an essay exam, so last night, I wrote like 4 essay each on one of the 5 topics (I didn't study one, cuz it was reaaallly broad and would take me forever to study) Sooo, I think the essay writing helped ! Haha... I hope I can figure out how to change my "last minute study habit."
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby Shirasagi » Fri 12.21.2007 4:38 pm

If you're going PSEOA, the biggest favor you can do for yourself is get into good studying habits. College is a lot more self-serve than high school. For many classes it's a mass of reading, hour long lectures, and then tests and a paper or two. If you're lucky the lectures will cover the same material as the reading. Often they won't. It'll be up to you to take all the information and organize it so that you retain it. Take good notes and review material as you go along, and you'll need less time for cramming and you'll have more time for partying/socializing/doing the stuff that you wanna do.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.21.2007 4:50 pm

Kisshu wrote:
Haha... I hope I can figure out how to change my "last minute study habit."

manage your time better.. it's the one and only way to fix it.
two_heads_talking

Postby everdream » Fri 12.21.2007 6:12 pm

Wake me up, before you go go.
Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Hope you passed, though!
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Kisshu » Sat 12.22.2007 12:50 am

ha. why is this thread still alive?

Anywhooo.. I will hopefully be changing my study habits, especially with the coming semester because I plan to stay at the college around 10 hours a day. (I am car pooling with my dad and he will leave mee there that long O_O ) So, hopefully, with nothing better to do, I'll manage my study time better?

Anyway, how did this thread turn into a "Let's get Kisshu to study better" thread? I was just asking how to stay awake. ^-^*
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.22.2007 8:10 am

Kisshu wrote:
I was just asking how to stay awake. ^-^*

Caffeine, ephedrine, Visine, and nicotine work wonders. Thanks to the meth heads and the nanny state mentality you can cross ephedrine off the list, though.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.22.2007 10:34 am

Caffeine, ephedrine, Visine, and nicotine work wonders.

That's a coctail of death behind the wheel if I ever saw one.. damn, just add alchohol in there and you are batting 1.000

(edit) fixed ..... (thanks Mike)
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Sat 12.22.2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to General off topic