Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bad grade... suggestions?

Bad grade... suggestions?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Bad grade... suggestions?

Postby Kisshu » Wed 02.06.2008 3:41 pm

I'm kinda ticked off right now. It's only the third week of classes at the U, and I've already had to contact my TA twice for mistakes on grading. Now, I just got a paper back today with an 8/10 because of "grammer mistakes." However, my TA is from China. Yeah. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go talk to her again, but I just want to check that my grammer is correct.

*Media today is not the same as media in the past.
(TA's correction was "Media today is not the same as the media in the past)

*The internet has made it possible for one to view multiple kinds of media all in one place: from teh TV and music, to newspapers and books.
(TA- She underlined multiple kinds of media and put a question mark saying she couldnt' understand what I meant)

The positive aspects are eality recognizable: better access to information, news, and documentation, better entertainment, and easier...
(TA- better access to information, new, and documentationS)

To me, it seems that all these are just a matter of preference? I dunno... but that's all I was marked for.

Should I go talk to her and bother her again?

Sorry for this dumb post >_>
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

RE: Bad grade... suggestions?

Postby richvh » Wed 02.06.2008 3:57 pm

Kisshu wrote:

I don't think "the" is necessary there, but "is" should be "are."

*The internet has made it possible for one to view multiple kinds of media all in one place: from teh TV and music, to newspapers and books.
(TA- She underlined multiple kinds of media and put a question mark saying she couldnt' understand what I meant)

Well, I understand it.

The positive aspects are eality recognizable: better access to information, news, and documentation, better entertainment, and easier...

I have never before seen "documentations" used.

I hope the spelling mistakes (teh, eality) weren't in your paper.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Kisshu » Wed 02.06.2008 4:06 pm

Hah. Thanks. And no. The mistypes weren't there >_> I was spazzing when I typed this post.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby katafei » Wed 02.06.2008 4:10 pm

I thought 'media' was one of those words that can take both 'is' and 'are'?

(I would leave out the 'the' before tv ^_^, don't know if you should....)
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby richvh » Wed 02.06.2008 4:20 pm

katafei wrote:

I thought 'media' was one of those words that can take both 'is' and 'are'?

Well, it's one of those pesky Latin plurals that people sometimes don't recognize as being plural... the entry I checked on dictionary.reference.com said it usually takes a plural verb.

(I would leave out the 'the' before tv ^_^, don't know if you should....)

Come to think of it... so would I.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 02.06.2008 5:11 pm

If you had written "The media today" then you would also do "the media in the past". Since you did not, you are correct you would not add the media ..

I would definately approach her about this, as it seems to me she might be interjecting Chinese equivalents into English and as well all know, that's a definate nono..

she is probably asking you to provide more specific definition of media. (but to be honest, you did just that with your "place: from the TV and music, to ..... so once again, I think she is the one who needs correction.

Documentation is both plural and singular, your TA is definately suspect now.. I would approach her and then approach your teacher about her. Point out each area where you feel you are being subject to below standard grading. If that doesn't work, lodge a complaint with the acedemics office.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Wakannai » Wed 02.06.2008 5:28 pm

Bleh, just wrote a bunch of stuff and deleted it.

You said it's your TA with all the mistakes, I'd skip past the TA and go straight to the teacher.
Wakannai

Postby AJBryant » Wed 02.06.2008 7:52 pm

Want the take of a professional writer and editor?

Your TA is full of it. He/she/it is making mistakes in grammar (ahem... not grammer) and marking YOU wrong. That TA should not be doing this class; he/she/it is clearly not qualified nor able to do the work.

There. :)

That being said, I *would* mark you wrong for saying "media is" -- the singular is MEDIUM. Television is a medium, radio is a medium, books are a medium. Any grouping of them becomes "media."

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Wed 02.06.2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Chris Hart » Wed 02.06.2008 10:56 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Want the take of a professional writer and editor?

Your TA is full of it. He/she/it is making mistakes in grammar (ahem... not grammer) and marking YOU wrong. That TA should not be doing this class; he/she/it is clearly not qualified nor able to do the work.

There. :)

That being said, I *would* mark you wrong for saying "media is" -- the singular is MEDIUM. Television is a medium, radio is a medium, books are a medium. Any grouping of them becomes "media."

Tony

I agree with all of the above posters. Your TA seems to be in the wrong on those.

In common usage, "the media is..." would work, but must agree with Tony, technically it's plural and should use "are", and on a paper, would normally be marked off.

Also, on the first sentence, I would only use "the" in front of neither or both instances of "media" so they agree on case, and become similar. Using "the" with one, but not the other, appears to result in you comparing a specific group with a non-specific group.
Last edited by Chris Hart on Wed 02.06.2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby HarakoMeshi » Thu 02.07.2008 4:27 am

Changing "documentation" to "documentations" is definitely wrong, and so is changing "news" to "new".

I think the teacher is the one who is making more mistakes than the student.

In common usage, "the media is..." would work, but must agree with Tony, technically it's plural and should use "are", and on a paper, would normally be marked off.

It's so common to refer to "the media" as some single entity like "the media is all over this news", it is really borderline.

Since its commonly used by unwashed natives, is it marked down of for lack of "class"?
Last edited by HarakoMeshi on Thu 02.07.2008 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarakoMeshi

Postby Chris Hart » Thu 02.07.2008 7:28 am

HarakoMeshi wrote:
Changing "documentation" to "documentations" is definitely wrong, and so is changing "news" to "new".

I think the teacher is the one who is making more mistakes than the student.

It's so common to refer to "the media" as some single entity like "the media is all over this news", it is really borderline.

Since its commonly used by unwashed natives, is it marked down of for lack of "class"?

It would be marked down for not fitting the prescriptive grammar rules. Unfortunately, it would be difficult to grade by descriptive ones.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 02.07.2008 9:05 am

"The media" with "the" is more or less commonly accepted nowadays as a singular noun meaning "the collective mass [usually news] media taken as a whole". But without the definite article, it doesn't work.

IMO:
Media today are different from media in the past
The media today is different from the media in the past

These are two different sentences with two different meanings.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Thu 02.07.2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby katafei » Thu 02.07.2008 9:20 am

That makes sense....

Kisshu, can I ask where you are from? just curious. Somehow I had you down as American.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Shirasagi » Thu 02.07.2008 9:24 am

I'm with Chris on this, and I believe in the context of the paper, "Media are" with plural agreement and sans definite article would be the correct way to go.

Also in that case, I would change "view multiple kinds of media" to "view multiple media". I don't think the "multiple kinds" is wrong, but I favor parsimony of expression.

Of course, I rarely practice this in my off-the-cuff internet writing, and in college deliberately used redundant constructions to inflate my word count. As Doc Holliday said in Tombstone, "I am not without my hypocrisy."
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby AJBryant » Thu 02.07.2008 12:57 pm

Shirasagi wrote:
As Doc Holliday said in Tombstone, "I am not without my hypocrisy."

Thank you for quoting one of my favorite flicks. :)

"It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to General off topic