Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bad grade... suggestions?

Bad grade... suggestions?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Bad grade... suggestions?

Postby witega » Thu 02.07.2008 1:14 pm

It appears your TA is overcompensating for some of the more common mistakes native Chinese speakers make when learning English (article usage, sing/plu confusion). I agree with Tony, it doesn't appear that she is qualified to be grading English grammar.
Last edited by witega on Thu 02.07.2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
witega

Postby Noob » Thu 02.07.2008 4:29 pm

About this whole media issue....

Media can mean anything from written documents to CD's. There are many different types of media. Therefore, when referring to the "Mass media" (TV,radio, magazine) we tend to bundle this up as "The" media. But yeah, your TA seems to be lacking.
Noob

Postby Kisshu » Thu 02.07.2008 8:05 pm

katafei wrote:
That makes sense....

Kisshu, can I ask where you are from? just curious. Somehow I had you down as American.

Lol. Mars? XD Jk I'm from Minnesota. We have a lto for foreign teachers/TA's at my school

Noob wrote:Media can mean anything from written documents to CD's. There are many different types of media. Therefore, when referring to the "Mass media" (TV,radio, magazine) we tend to bundle this up as "The" media. But yeah, your TA seems to be lacking.

When I mentioned those things, they were examples, not a list of every type of media. We have already gone over the CD etc aspect of media (or at least part of it)

Anywho, is it just me, or does it seem that my threads come alive when I'm not actually there??? O_o Am I being avoided?

Anywho, thanks for the advice guys.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.08.2008 4:51 am

"Media" is a "non-countable" noun.

Just as you don't say "information are" or "water are" (and "the" depends on if you are talking about an already specified item or not), you can say "media is" and "the" isn't required if you are talking about media in general.

"Media is an important part of modern culture" sounds just fine, whereas "Media are an important part of modern culture" is quite confusing.
Last edited by keatonatron on Fri 02.08.2008 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby katafei » Fri 02.08.2008 4:52 am

God, it must be so totally frustrating to have foreign teachers grading your native language???!!!
That doesn't make any sense at all.......

How did you your protests work out?
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 02.08.2008 1:18 pm

I had a foreign teachers assistant in one of my English classes. She spoke no English either.. go figure..
two_heads_talking

Postby Nibble » Fri 02.08.2008 2:52 pm

You wouldn't believe some of the things kids in Taiwan get taught in English class by their Taiwanese teachers, some of whom can barely speak more than a few words, themselves.
Nibble

Postby katafei » Fri 02.08.2008 3:56 pm

Yeah, I know. That's why I sometimes toy with the idea of teaching English in Taiwan......
It's just that the place is so crowded. (a bit like Japan ^_^)
You live in Taiwan? If you have a chance, go visit these guys.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Wakannai » Fri 02.08.2008 5:54 pm

I can't help but think what it would be like if this paper were taken to a proper English teacher, who might agree about the TA's mistakes, but then finds even more real examples of grammar mistakes that the TA overlooked.
Wakannai

Postby Kisshu » Sat 02.09.2008 4:10 pm

Wakannai wrote:
I can't help but think what it would be like if this paper were taken to a proper English teacher, who might agree about the TA's mistakes, but then finds even more real examples of grammar mistakes that the TA overlooked.

I highly doubt it. I was homeschooled for many years, and those years were mainly focuesed on English grammer, so I am pretty well-drilled on it. -looks back at those years and shudders-
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby Nibble » Sat 02.09.2008 9:24 pm

But not spelling, apparently :p

Katafei, you would have no problem getting a job teaching English (illegally) in Taiwan. As long as you look like you can speak English, there are plenty of schools who'd love to have you!

I think I saw those guys when they came to my university last year... very impressive performance.
Last edited by Nibble on Sat 02.09.2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nibble

Postby hungryhotei » Sat 02.09.2008 9:24 pm

That probably wasn't the best sentence to make a spelling mistake in. Especially one Tony already corrected earlier in the thread.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Postby Kisshu » Sat 02.09.2008 10:51 pm

XP I wawsnt' bad in spelling. Unfortunately, typing is not my strong point.
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby arbalest71 » Sun 02.10.2008 4:22 am

Kisshu wrote:

*Media today is not the same as media in the past.
(TA's correction was "Media today is not the same as the media in the past)

You're both wrong. Rephrase.

Kisshu wrote:
*The internet has made it possible for one to view multiple kinds of media all in one place: from teh TV and music, to newspapers and books.
(TA- She underlined multiple kinds of media and put a question mark saying she couldnt' understand what I meant))

Again, you're both wrong. Rephrase. Even if we ignore the typo... "the TV and music"? Are you a native speaker of English? You don't write like one. Anyway, that is an appallingly bland sentence.

Kisshu wrote:
The positive aspects are eality recognizable: better access to information, news, and documentation, better entertainment, and easier...
(TA- better access to information, new, and documentationS)

Good lord. Academic writing is not the internetz.

Kisshu wrote:To me, it seems that all these are just a matter of preference? I dunno... but that's all I was marked for.

Should I go talk to her and bother her again?

Let me get this straight... a native speaker of Chinese is correcting your (broken) English? Who decided that that was a good idea?

You need help. Going to your Chinese TA won't help. Get out of that program- it is borked beyond repair. Transfer.
--

I have it on good authority that I\'m a weirdo, doing weird science.
arbalest71

Postby gfunk » Sun 02.10.2008 5:38 am

arbalest71 wrote:

Again, you're both wrong. Rephrase. Even if we ignore the typo... "the TV and music"? Are you a native speaker of English? You don't write like one. Anyway, that is an appallingly bland sentence.

Let me get this straight... a native speaker of Chinese is correcting your (broken) English? Who decided that that was a good idea?

You need help. Going to your Chinese TA won't help. Get out of that program- it is borked beyond repair. Transfer.

Wow... back where I'm from we'd call him an "alu hori"... and an ignorant one btw. Insulting people's abilities doesn't get your point across better.

I've personally taught a grammar class in Duke (last summer semester), and I can tell those mistakes are typical when "writing too fast". It's becoming more typical with the up and coming generation of kids, raised by so much information (and the internet). You're trying to reach your next sentence before you start writing the first. Thus a simplification; and from there, mistakes in the sentence. It's a sign of brilliance more than lack of ability.
If you need me to explain this further arbalest71, I'd be glad to. Even though I'm not a native speaker of English...
Last edited by gfunk on Sun 02.10.2008 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gfunk

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic