Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Language sounds

Language sounds

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Language sounds

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 02.19.2008 12:36 am

When I listen to Japanese it flows together, Chinese has a lot of stop go to it, and German is guttural any one else notice these.Also to the non-native English speakers what did English sound like before you knew it?
guitarplayer7694

RE: Language sounds

Postby NZJutsu » Tue 02.19.2008 12:48 am

I guess so.. But a lot of the time it can depend on who is speaking the language. I know lots of Japanese girls who don't reeeally speak with fluidity.. It's useful as a learner, in the sense that you often have time to process what they said!

As for German, I agree :D
NZJutsu

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 02.19.2008 1:30 am

Speaking of the gutturalness of German have you ever heard of Rammstein? ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt-5cPTBD-k
Last edited by guitarplayer7694 on Tue 02.19.2008 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitarplayer7694

Postby gfunk » Tue 02.19.2008 3:08 am

English sounds like it's coming from the back of your mouth... like you force your tongue too much. Also, the vowels fill too much of your mouth. Unlike Spanish which has subtleties with the tip of your tongue and the rolling r's.
gfunk

Postby NZJutsu » Tue 02.19.2008 3:22 am

Yes! I love Rammstein, I have 3 albums. They sing about some screwed up stuff though :o
NZJutsu

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 02.19.2008 3:59 am

meh I don't so much look at the lyrics(still think they are important though) as I listen to the sound. By the way like my vid? :D
Last edited by guitarplayer7694 on Tue 02.19.2008 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitarplayer7694

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 02.19.2008 4:04 am

gfunk: so its more strenuous to speak English?
guitarplayer7694

Postby katafei » Tue 02.19.2008 6:34 am

gfunk wrote:
English sounds like it's coming from the back of your mouth...

I would never consider English a language that comes from the back of the mouth...
But I guess it makes a lot of difference whether you mother tongue is Spanish or Dutch
Compared to Dutch, I guess I would say English is rounder and more flowing, rolling over the tongue quite comfortably ^_^
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby tanuki » Tue 02.19.2008 8:16 am

English sounds different depending on the dialect. Some British and Australian dialects (and maybe some American dialects) sound like the speaker has a potato in their mouth.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby miho-sempai » Tue 02.19.2008 2:06 pm

I'm a native English speaker but the people I've talked to have told me that my English doesn't sound English/"harsh" like a typical American's-- so from what I've inferenced most Americans use harder, sharper sounds and seem to attack their words. Even when girls are talking it's not soft, really. It's really bad when their voices are high-pitched and there's a bunch of idiots squeaking in a room. @_@
miho-sempai

Native language: English

Postby Kisshu » Tue 02.19.2008 2:37 pm

hmmm.... well, are you learning Japanese?

A lot of people who aren't learning Japanese tend to think that it is a very abrupt language.... at least that's what people tell me.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby shades_of_ben » Tue 02.19.2008 2:47 pm

i have to agree, miho. i'm a native english speaker, but the sharp sounds mixed with high pitched voices can still give me a headache.

guitarplayer, i agree. german is very guttural. but have you heard norwegian spoken in the rural accent? it's got the same types of sounds from the letters, but the way it's spoken it smoother, and almost musical. it's very warm-sounding.

and i have a chinese friend, and he speaks with his parents in chinese, and yes it's very stop-and-go, even if they speak it fast. japanese is much more fluid, and can sound very beautiful, especially when sung.

latin american spanish definitely flows from the tongue better than english. but has anyone here ever heard castillian spanish (european spanish)? i heard someone reciting castillian poetry, and it was absolutely beautiful. the flow of the words was so smooth and fluid.

i've always been interested in language, so i've examined the way i make sounds with my mouth, and the way everything sounds when others speak, and despite being a native english speaker, i find the language to be be very rough-sounding, and it does sound a bit like it comes from the back of the mouth. those qualities come from the fact that it's a germanic language. while french and spanish were originally spoken by germanic barbarians as well (gauls and visigoths, respectively), those languages assimilated more latin than the other germanic nations after the fall of rome, and became known as the romance languages (along with italian).

but my favorite languages would have to be norwegian and japanese. the two are very beautiful.
shades_of_ben

Postby leergierig » Tue 02.19.2008 2:51 pm

Please don't be offended by the following. I am just stating my perceptions from my early childhood (the time before I understood English).

I used to think that English (especially American girls' accents) sounded somewhat like a cat's meowing. Strangely enough, as soon as comprehension set in that association disappeared. It is hard for me now to describe English from a purely auditory perspective. But I agree with tanuki on the potato in the mouth thing (usually some British accents).
leergierig

Postby gfunk » Tue 02.19.2008 5:14 pm

tanuki wrote:
English sounds different depending on the dialect. Some British and Australian dialects (and maybe some American dialects) sound like the speaker has a potato in their mouth.

Exactly! Trying to imitate southwest USA accent hurt my tongue so much... but let's say... southern london-ish accent isn't as hard to fake...

I think the clash between vowels and consonants in japanese is what gives it's style. Like wen you conjugate あたたか。
gfunk

Postby katafei » Tue 02.19.2008 5:20 pm

gfunk wrote:
...but let's say... southern london-ish accent isn't as hard to fake...

you reckon...? :D
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Next

Return to General off topic