Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Language sounds

Language sounds

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Language sounds

Postby AJBryant » Tue 02.19.2008 6:20 pm

When I was in Japan, I had a friend who'd lived in Holland. (We made the usual "rangaku learning" jokes, of course.) She described Dutch as "German, with a speech impediment."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 02.19.2008 6:31 pm

If I could be granted with the knowledge of languages of my choosing it would be German, Russian, and Japaneses I like the rough sound of German and Russian, and Japaneses has just always drawn me.
guitarplayer7694

Postby kayuu » Tue 02.19.2008 6:47 pm

Dutch has some crazy sounds. What's with that ch sound they make with their throats? It's insane, I spent some time learning Dutch but it's just not physically possible for me to make that sound. When I listen to Japanese I don't think it seems to flow together as much as, say, the romance languages. However - English is, after all, a Germanic language and so it seems to flow in the same kind of way as German and Dutch.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby shades_of_ben » Tue 02.19.2008 7:11 pm

funny, i've always found that "ch" sound easy to make. it's used alot in hebrew (another beautiful language in my opinion). i don't know an ounce of hebrew, but i would love to learn it.
shades_of_ben

Postby chikara » Tue 02.19.2008 8:32 pm

tanuki wrote:
English sounds different depending on the dialect. Some British and Australian dialects (and maybe some American dialects) sound like the speaker has a potato in their mouth.

A potato or a plum?

speak with a plum in your mouth (British & Australian)
"If someone speaks with a plum in their mouth, they speak in a way that shows they are from a very high social group"

People who speak with a plum in their mouth are generally wankers ;)

I agree that English certainly sounds different depending on the dialect or nationality of the speaker. To me English spoken by the Irish is almost melodic where as English spoken by the people from certain parts of the USA is almost grating to my ear.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 02.19.2008 9:03 pm

Last edited by Gundaetiapo on Tue 02.19.2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Previous

Return to General off topic