Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Stop Smoking

Stop Smoking

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Do you think I can stop smoking?

Poll ended at Wed 04.30.2008 5:30 pm

I am pretty sure you can!
No votes
Of course, just hang in there.
71%
Yes, why not.
14%
I think you gonna hold a while, but will fail in the long run.
No votes
Yes, in like 3 days or so.
No votes
You just gonna smoke, when you wake up!
14%

Total votes : 7

Re: Stop Smoking

Postby Clochi » Wed 03.26.2008 6:03 pm

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
Clochi: doubt my young opinion will be given much weight but...

Thank you for reply!
I think that was a okay idea. But however, if I did start smoking again - that in itself would be a shame. And it wouldn't be cool if I'd post a message in here that would say "I didn't make it, I was too weak!". - Very uncool!!

I will give update as I wrote earlier.
At day 1 I startet on a cold turkey and I havn't smoked for 5 dayes now, but I am doing okay.
Yesterday was pretty irritating, I was at a job interview and pretty nervous.
After that, I meet some of my friends and I told them i havn't smoked for 4 days.
They said "Well thats good" while smoking right beside me. (It really got on my nerves)
Anyway, I refuse to buy nicotin gums. And I don't think ordinary chewing gum would help me either.
I think the best the to chew on is Mentos mints, I ate about 10-20 rolls of them!!

みんなさん、ありがとう。そしてがんばります!
Clochi

Postby chikara » Wed 03.26.2008 7:33 pm

Clochi wrote:..... I refuse to buy nicotin gums. ....
I think the best the to chew on is Mentos mints .....

Why do you refuse to buy nicotine gums? Smoking addiction is an addiction to nicotine. I know many people who have managed to kick smoking by using nicotine gum or better still patches.

Have a look a the Nicorette website.

I'm not sure how Mentos mints are going to help other than to give your mouth something to do rather than sucking on a cigarette.

My father gave up smoking dozens of times until it eventually killed him.

BTW, do your socks smell? :twisted:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 03.27.2008 11:08 am

there is one other thing you can try. that is to replace the "bad" habit with something more fulfilling. Most people out of habit will smoke to relax. If you can find an appropriate substitute for relaxing it will help. Just make sure the new habit doesn't take you around areas where smoking is prevalent.

it's a shame that your friends commend you on quiting but keep right on puffing around you. That doesn't seem very encouraging.

While my story is humorous, I hope others see the serious side of it as well, that even at a young age, a person can make up their mind not to smoke and then follow through with that same commitment through life. I can add another one here as well. I am 40 years old and have never had alchohol, not a single drink. Because I made up my mind that I didn't want to do that. I am not saying that makes me better than anyone, just pointing out that a positive thought process, a good goal oriented and structured life, will help alleviate the need for forming 'bad" habits.

by the way, I finally voted and I think you can quite, just keep moving forward one day at a time.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby sei » Fri 03.28.2008 8:30 pm

It will get increasingly hard as time passes... That's for sure. But it will eventually because easier and better if, like someone said, you find something to get distracted with.

In my life I have only smoked about a pack of cigarettes, and that was in the last 3 years. But still, like even right now, I feel great urge to smoke, because I'm stressed, and my body still remembers the cigarettes, which makes me urge for them... (I was actually told, that even just one will stay in your system for several years...) Even so, I made a promise to a friend I would not smoke again, and I intend to keep it, though it is really hard at times.

I don't know how long you've been smoking, but it seems to be for awhile now right? So your urge would never compare to mine. But you'll still have to do the same things. Have a goal in mind and stick to it, as harder as it may become.

And you should see a doctor about what to do. Your body may have bad reactions to the sudden abstinence, so you might need medical supervision for awhile.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.29.2008 12:33 pm

Me and him was

:shock:
:cry:
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 03.29.2008 1:00 pm

Look what you did now Tony... I had to go back through all my posts to make sure I wasn't the one who did that.. :oops: :wink: :shock:
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.29.2008 3:40 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:Look what you did now Tony... I had to go back through all my posts to make sure I wasn't the one who did that.. :oops: :wink: :shock:

I don't think YOU ever would. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Clochi » Wed 04.09.2008 9:08 am

Thanks Guys, I would have replied earlier, but I have been sick and coffin up yellow/green slime. Yum-yum-yum!

chikara wrote:
Clochi wrote:..... I refuse to buy nicotin gums. ....
I think the best the to chew on is Mentos mints .....

Why do you refuse to buy nicotine gums? Smoking addict....

Because I don't want to be addicted on nicotine gums/patches. Yes it helps, but most people find it hard lay down nicotine gums/patches.
To be honest, i rather smoke again than eating those gross gums.
Often my lungs "just" wants a cloud of cigarette smoke, so I eat some mentos mints to give my lungs a "fresh kick", so I can breath better.
Sad to hear about your father, something tells me that, the same going to happen with my mother if doesn't quite soon.
-No, I am always clean :D

two_heads_talking wrote:there is one other thing you can try. that is to replace the "bad" habit with something more fulfilling. Most people out of habit will smoke to relax. If you can find an appropriate substitute for relaxing it will help. Just make sure the new habit doesn't take you around areas where smoking is prevalent.

it's a shame that your friends commend you on quiting but keep right on puffing around you. That doesn't seem very encouraging.

While my story is humorous, I hope others see the serious side of it as well, that even at a young age, a person can make up their mind not to smoke and then follow through with that same commitment through life. I can add another one here as well. I am 40 years old and have never had alchohol, not a single drink. Because I made up my mind that I didn't want to do that. I am not saying that makes me better than anyone, just pointing out that a positive thought process, a good goal oriented and structured life, will help alleviate the need for forming 'bad" habits.

By the way, I finally voted and I think you can quite, just keep moving forward one day at a time.

Well, I brush my teeth four times a day, train sometimes, eat a lot of healthy food, and going out more often. What irritates me most, is that I have hard time consecrating while I am studying Japanese.
Its kind of hard to relax with all this energy, that I am not used to. But usual work out or drink some tea - Then I am more relaxed.
Yeah Its sad, my friends don't seem to respect that I don't want smoke near me. :idea: :idea: :idea: Next time I break their cigarettes!
I completely agree with you, its good to make rules for oneself. I made a lot of rules for myself when i quit smoking.
Like; Never eat at McDonalds, don't drink coffee, soda, or alcohol and so on.
Even if its only 19 days that I'd quit, I feel a lot better in many way!

Thanks for voting! I will.

sei wrote:It will get increasingly hard as time passes... That's for sure. But it will eventua....

True, I sometimes to go out at parties, where there’s a lot of smokers.
I know its a danger zone, but I believe in myself. Its hard to ignore it because 90% of all I know, are smokes.
But like you say "Have a goal in mind and stick to it" is the best way. The only one I promise not to smoke again, was myself. And that’s good enough!
Yup, I smoked about 10-16 cigarettes for about 4-5 year. I had a lot "not smoking for 2-3 days" But I really believe myself on this one.
I got this tip to save the money that would normally use on cigarettes and use them on something else.
And I did! I when out and bought myself 4 mangas and some good headphones, I want to do that more often :D
I don't need a doctor, I think myself as a Non-smoker now. And when I have the urge to smoke, I always tell myself that I have this felling for a few minutes.

--------------------------
Thanks very much for all the help, It does really help.
It would be embarrassing if I’d start smoking again, but it won’t happen.
Clochi

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 04.09.2008 9:19 am

Glad to hear back from you. keep up the good work. That crap you are coughing up, is what your body has been trying to get rid of for years. The sooner you can clear that out of your body, the better off you will be. If you equate that green phlem with puss in a sore, you are not too far off in how bad it is for you.
two_heads_talking

Postby Clochi » Thu 04.10.2008 2:43 pm

Yeah, it pretty much annoyed my the past few days, but i think it will be gone tomorow.
Oh yeah! Haha, I havn't eaten oranges for almost 3 years because I didn't like them.
Now I eat two per day and they taste alot better. All food taste better now!

Thanks "two_heads_talking".
Clochi

Postby mr_johnny_lee » Mon 12.06.2010 12:50 pm

I only started smoking when I came to Japan...at least properly anyway, I only smoked socially before.

It's so much more difficult to stop here...they're cheap and you can still smoke in many places like bars, restaurants, club etc whereas in England there is a complete ban. I can easily go without smoking in England for 3 weeks but it's much more difficult in Japan...although I don't actually smoke that many, I'm down to 5 a day which isn't that much, obviously 0 would be better.

On top of that, one third of the population smoke so it's difficult to escape.

Dammit, I feel like a smoke now. ><
mr_johnny_lee

Postby AJBryant » Tue 12.07.2010 12:13 am

A 20-month necropost. :)
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby NikonGirl » Mon 12.05.2011 4:33 am

I smoked for 19 years and quit immediately with no gum or patches. I switched to 'vaping' 32 days ago and havent wanted a cigarette since.
I can now breathe better, stopped coughing, and fell 110% better than I have in years. If you want to learn more about it, there is an entire forum dedicated to it with thousands of people who have quit instantly. Heres the link: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
Best thing I ever did for myself and my family. Not to mention all the money I'm saving :D Good Luck!
テレサ 
Please help me by correcting my errors :)
NikonGirl

Previous

Return to General off topic