Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Your Favourite Japanese Food.

Your Favourite Japanese Food.

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Your Favourite Japanese Food.

Postby sumit252 » Mon 07.07.2008 11:26 am

I personally like 親子丼(oyakodon). What about everyone else?
sumit252

Re: Your Favourite Japanese Food.

Postby Ukeath » Mon 07.07.2008 2:47 pm

Chances are this is a thread already. But anyway I'll post. Right now I only have 2 that I must have when ever I eat at a Japanese restaurant. I tried Yakisoba, but I think their might have been a spice inside that I didnt care for. Other than that I love noodles. :D
Also:
Hibachi Chicken
Chicken Tempura
Ukeath

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.07.2008 3:54 pm

katsudon is my favorite donburi dish..

yakisoba would be my favorite soba dish.. although in the summer I love cold buckwheat noodles with vegtables.. (dipped in sauce of course..)

and curry rice would be my go to dish in a pinch when I am low on cash..

and for the really cash strapped times okonomiyaki with cabbage, carrots, chicken and onions is awesome. a bit of kewpie and some bulldog sauce (tonkatsu) makes a savory topper..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 07.07.2008 8:33 pm

I'll second the vote for curry rice. I love curry in all its forms: Indian curry, Thai curry, Nepalese curry and Japanese style curry rice.

I think I'll have curry rice for dinner tonight!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby chikara » Mon 07.07.2008 9:02 pm

My favourite is okonomiyaki (Hiroshima style)

Other contenders are unagi don, toufu (prepared in various ways) and gyouza.

I'm with becki-san when it comes to curries. Indian curries (which vary greatly north to south) are my favourites followed by Thai curries. I don't mind Japanese style cuury rice at all.

On the topic of rice dishes I also really like omuraisu which is a more contemporary Japanese dish.

two_heads_talking wrote:.... okonomiyaki with cabbage, carrots, chicken and onions is awesome. a bit of kewpie and some bulldog sauce (tonkatsu) makes a savory topper..

The Bulldog Sauce I have is Japanese style Worcestershire sauce. Is that the same?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.08.2008 8:57 am

chikara wrote:My favourite is okonomiyaki (Hiroshima style)

Other contenders are unagi don, toufu (prepared in various ways) and gyouza.

I'm with becki-san when it comes to curries. Indian curries (which vary greatly north to south) are my favourites followed by Thai curries. I don't mind Japanese style cuury rice at all.

On the topic of rice dishes I also really like omuraisu which is a more contemporary Japanese dish.

two_heads_talking wrote:.... okonomiyaki with cabbage, carrots, chicken and onions is awesome. a bit of kewpie and some bulldog sauce (tonkatsu) makes a savory topper..

The Bulldog Sauce I have is Japanese style Worcestershire sauce. Is that the same?

Bulldog has quite a few sauces.. Tonkatsu sauce is made specifically for pork so it goes great with most white meats.. It also has a vegetable and fruit sauce that goes great with stir fry. My kids actually like to put this sauce directly over rice (I know the Japanese aren't fond of mixing anything with rice, but the savory flavor is pretty nice.) The Tonkatsu sauce and the vegetable sauce are rather thick and the Worchestershire sauces I am familiar with are very thin.

http://importfood.com/sabd1001.html this is a link to the Tonkatsu sauce.

http://www.jbox.com/PRODUCT/OKA348 this is a link to what I could find as far as the Worchestershire sauce and it seems to be exactly the same.. I could be wrong, as I have never had that one before..

http://www.amazon.com/Bull-Dog-Vegetabl ... B0002IZD1G this is a link to the vegetable and fruit sauce. (notice it also says Tonkatsu sauce too) I find the vegetable sauce to be a bit more sweet than the Tonkatsu sauce.

So, I can't really answer your question, as I haven't tried the type you mention, but with the description, I would say its the same stuff.
two_heads_talking

Postby Pork Chop » Tue 08.12.2008 11:48 am

goya chanpuru, taco rice, sooki soba, chicken katsu kare, takoyaki, yakitori, and sake sashimi...
sorry, just can't pick one...
Pork Chop

Postby Benvolio » Mon 09.01.2008 8:56 pm

Chicken Karaage & Gyoza
Mmmmm

Also you can't beat a good Japanese Yakiniku restaurant.

I had something in Japan which was like an Omelette in a way, and it was cooked on a hot plate in front of you.
And served with a very tasty pink-ish sauce and I can't for the life of me remember the name. Very annoying.
Can anyone help?
Benvolio

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 09.01.2008 9:00 pm

Okonomiyaki.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Benvolio » Mon 09.01.2008 9:02 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Okonomiyaki.

YES!

Thank you.

Benvolio

Postby vkladchik » Mon 09.01.2008 9:34 pm

Fugu. There's a little ramshackle place that serves a "fugu zanmai course." I forget the exact content of the course, but it includes sashimi, shirako, karaage, nabe--all fugu. The sashimi is cut so thin it's translucent in the fluorescent light of the dingy zashiki. Add some Kubota no Manju, the cold Japanese night afterwards, and you've got yourself a bona fide Japanese experience. :wink:
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 09.01.2008 11:51 pm

Fresh awabi in butter sauce.

OH the goodness.
My favorite part is when it tries to run away while you're cooking it. :twisted:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Tue 09.02.2008 12:30 am

Harisenbon wrote:Fresh awabi in butter sauce.

OH the goodness.
My favorite part is when it tries to run away while you're cooking it. :twisted:

My wife tried raw awabi in a sushi restaurant in Tokyo (Asakasa). It was very expensive so I didn't try any. Awabi "fishing" is a big industry where her family are from and there are now people there starting to farm it.

I have never seen an awabi "run". The best you could describe it as is a very slow crawl.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 09.02.2008 12:41 am

chikara wrote:I have never seen an awabi "run". The best you could describe it as is a very slow crawl.

You got to get them really hot and bothered. Put the fear of god into them. *laugh*

You know, if there is such a thing as karma, I'm totally coming back as an awabi, just for the amount of glee I get out of torturing them.

If only they weren't so SUCCULENT.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby vkladchik » Tue 09.02.2008 10:59 am

Harisenbon wrote:the amount of glee I get out of torturing them.

Maybe someone can enlighten me. There was an izakaya I once went to that had a tank full of little fish, maybe two or three inches long. The fish were served as tempura. The cook would scoop out a batch, dump them into a bowl of flour (or whatever the koromo is--I don't know anything about cooking), still jumping and flipping around, and then dump them straight into the boiling oil to deep fry them. In other words, normal tempura, except that the fish were fried alive, which I suppose is fairly humane, since they died after a single instant of excruciating pain. Actually, I guess the koromo would extend that instant a bit, but anyway, not too bad.

What was really inhumane, however, is that there was some kind of hot pepper bobbing around at the surface of the fishtank, and it was apparently pretty painful, because the fish were in a constant mad race away from it. The fish were literally jamming themselves into the corners of the fishtank furthest from the pepper, which would sort of bob around, this way and that, due to the water practically churning around because of the mad swimming. Non-stop pain, 24-hours-a-day. I asked the chef what the point of that was, and he said "身がもっと引き締まるから" and of course there's nothing worse than fish whose 身 isn't 引き締まっている (although, doesn't that only apply to raw fish? how could it apply to cooked fish?).

Anyway, I'm sure the fish, if they had any kind of philosophical self-awareness, welcomed death with open arms. Even the one relatively pain-free moment when they're flipping around in the flour has got to be bittersweet, since they can't breathe.

So my question is: what kind of fish might this be?
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Next

Return to General off topic