Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Issues with Microsoft IME

Issues with Microsoft IME

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Issues with Microsoft IME

Postby Chase » Thu 02.05.2009 6:15 pm

Hi there. I could use some help regarding the Windows IME. I've typed Japanese on this XP machine for years, without any problems. From one day to the other though, I can't type any character:
In "Direct Input" mode, I can write romaji as usual.
If i switch to "Hiragana" or "Katakana", nothing shows up! Same with the IME pad: If I click on the kanji, they simply don't show up.
Weirdly enough, the KANA input mode does work. But, meh, I don't know the Japanese layout anyways :|

In the language options, I can't open "Properties". Sorry for the German version of Windows, but I guess you'll get what I mean

Has anyone experienced similar problems, or can tell me what to try?
I already tried removing and adding the Japanese input from my layouts, what didn't help. Maybe there's a way to "uninstall" it ? Help is very much appreciated!
Chase

Re: Issues with Microsoft IME

Postby iroriki » Thu 02.05.2009 6:58 pm

It appears to me from the screenshot that you are using Microsoft natural input, and not the Windows IME. Unless you are set up for natural input I don't believe that will work properly for you. I would change it back to Windows IME.
iroriki

Native language: English

Re: Issues with Microsoft IME

Postby Chase » Fri 02.06.2009 12:10 pm

僕はバカだった! It was all my fault. If you ever have the urge to delete the environment variable %windir%, DON'T DO IT :roll: ..Just don't ask^^ (appearently it is used by Windows-internally, and I thought it was set by some second-rate software)
ごめんなさい, and thanks again iroriki for the help on IRC!
Chase

Return to General off topic