Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - For Yudan

For Yudan

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

For Yudan

Postby furrykef » Mon 04.13.2009 1:15 am

...or for anyone else, but targeted specifically toward Yudan 'cause... well, you'll see in a minute. :)

I've been toying around with editing strips from the webcomic Brawl in the Family. Here's the original version of this strip.

Now here's my edited version (read right to left). :)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: For Yudan

Postby furrykef » Tue 04.14.2009 4:13 pm

Heh, I guess it's not funny? Or maybe just nobody wanted to click the links? :P (I made the first one a link to avoid bandwidth theft, and the second one a link to avoid prematurely spoiling the joke...)

Well, just in case it's the latter, here they are:

Remember to read the next one right-to-left, in Japanese tradition ;):

Some notes:
If you're wondering what the ぞい means, in 星のカービー, King Dedede ends pretty much every utterance with ぞい for some reason (at least I hear it as ぞい), so I just imitated that.

I've edited the text of this strip several times since I first uploaded it (although it was in its final version when posted to this particular forum). The first version actually said 我が輩をそう見るなぞい! See, I'd spent a while watching 星のカービー to find out what pronoun Dedede used for himself. I kept waiting to hear a pronoun and gave up -- the only pronoun I heard at all was Dedede calling someone 貴様. So I shrugged and assumed Dedede referred to himself as 我が輩 because he's a selfish king who has a rather high opinion of himself and his (largely imaginary) authority, much like King Bowser in the Mario series, whom I know to use 我が輩. Mere minutes after posting the comic, I heard Dedede use わし! Then a bit later he used it again and I decided I had to change it. I'm kind of puzzled by the use of わし, though, since I know it as an "old man" pronoun. Maybe it's just 'cause he's a king?

Then I realized そう probably didn't mean what I thought it meant (I'd thought it was roughly equivalent to the Spanish word "así", Italian "così", or Latin "sic", but its actual usage seems to be more limited than that). I'd suspected as much, but at first I didn't come up with anything better in my dictionaries, and having proper Japanese wasn't essential to the gag anyway (the forum I was posting this to wasn't frequented by Japanese speakers, at least as far as I know). But I got this nagging doubt and finally bothered to find out what is, I think, the right way to say it.

In retrospect, I think putting the そこように before the わしを might be a more natural word order (I notice that に phrases typically appear before を phrases), but, as I've indicated above, I think I've edited this strip quite enough, really. ^^;

...And that's more than you ever wanted to know about that! :P

- Kef
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby Sairana » Tue 04.14.2009 11:52 pm

My humor is probably lacking, but I don't find the original funny, as in..... I just don't get it. Over my head. Swoosh.

Which means I don't get your parody, either. :P Not your fault, though.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby furrykef » Tue 04.14.2009 11:55 pm

It helps if you're familiar at all with Kirby, who can change into various things depending on what he eats. So when Dedede says "Don't look at me like that," Kirby just changes into a different (and rather more disturbing) face to look at Dedede with. :)

- Kef
furrykef

Postby Sairana » Wed 04.15.2009 12:03 am

I'm completely familiar with Kirby, and still don't find it humorous. :lol:
Sairana

Postby furrykef » Wed 04.15.2009 12:04 am

*shrug* To each his/her own. ^^;
furrykef

Postby yukamina » Wed 04.15.2009 11:17 am

I found it amusing ^-^
yukamina

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 04.16.2009 2:10 am

haha. I didn't get it, but after reading your explanation I find it hilarious.
love it. :D
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 04.16.2009 10:04 am

I'm not Yudan, but I think your rendition of kirby is pretty unique. The fact that you incorporated hiragana into his face is even more interesting. Now, I can't say that I understand which face he is showing or if it says anything, but I like it anyways.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Thu 04.16.2009 1:44 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:I'm not Yudan, but I think your rendition of kirby is pretty unique. The fact that you incorporated hiragana into his face is even more interesting. Now, I can't say that I understand which face he is showing or if it says anything, but I like it anyways.

are you saying you've never heard of へのへのもへじ before now?

EDIT: Wikipedia link wouldn't work. :( Just google it. :P
Sairana

Postby clay » Thu 04.16.2009 1:50 pm

When I first saw へのへのもへじ, I thought I would never be able to remember that name until a Japanese friend showed me the face was へのへのもへじ! (I was just learning hiragana at the time)
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby furrykef » Thu 04.16.2009 3:05 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:I'm not Yudan

That's OK, nobody else in this thread so far is Yudan either. :P

but I think your rendition of kirby is pretty unique.

Just to be clear, you're aware that I only made the second strip, right? The first strip is from Brawl in the Family, which I have no involvement with (kinda wish I did, though... it'd be a fun strip to do). :)

Sairana wrote:are you saying you've never heard of へのへのもへじ before now?

Not to mention it's been Yudan Taiteki's avatar since at least before I started coming here (hence the "For Yudan" as the thread's title). :P

Oh yeah, here's the Wikipedia link for "henohenomoheji".

- Kef
furrykef

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 04.16.2009 3:51 pm

I've seen Yudan's face (avatar) and that's why I thought it was cool that Furrykef had incorporated it into the comic strip.

I hadn't seen the original before and I did know you did the second one furry.. and no Sairana, I am not familiar with heno(whatever) at all. Is everyone who has ever gone to Japan or studied Japanese supposed to know of this thing? If so, then I failed completely.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Return to General off topic