Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What is the point?

What is the point?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

What is the point?

Postby Infidel » Mon 10.26.2009 11:49 pm

This is a bit roman, legal, historical stuff.

From Julius Caesar wiki
63 BC was an eventful year for Caesar. He persuaded a tribune, Titus Labienus, to prosecute the optimate senator Gaius Rabirius for the political murder, 37 years previously, of the tribune Lucius Appuleius Saturninus, and had himself appointed as one of the two judges to try the case. Rabirius was defended by both Cicero and Quintus Hortensius, but was convicted of perduellio (treason). While he was exercising his right of appeal to the people, the praetor Quintus Caecilius Metellus Celer adjourned the assembly by taking down the military flag from the Janiculum hill. Labienus could have resumed the prosecution at a later session, but did not do so: Caesar's point had been made, and the matter was allowed to drop.[37] Labienus would remain an important ally of Caesar over the next decade.
underline added.

the link 37 references this page.

I don't get the point. What was the point? Even the referenced page doesn't clarify it for me. Thank you any historical buffs that get it.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Re: What is the point?

Postby john2 » Tue 10.27.2009 4:43 am

I retrospectively appologize for any misinformation contained in the post.

I can try… :shock: I’d love to help if I can, I’ll see if I can
Julious defended, Labienus
and
Hortensius defended Rabirius
both where judges… so basically picture a japanese court room now have one judge on either side one on the defendants and on on the guilty parties I take it their was a judge in the middle. and if the guy was wealthy the family/lawyer… would also be on the defending side.
as lawyers weren't part of the soc.pol.judical,— According to my knowledge.
But… I don't think the wealthy would be standing their without a defence, :wink: .
The thing ended p being put to a vote… by the people so the details don't technically matter in terms of the history of the case though I would find it facinating to know more.
If he were to have been executed he would have needed to not just be trialed as guilty but to confess to having committed the crime.

I hope I’m right other wise I will have brought shame on my latin classmates.
Last edited by john2 on Thu 05.06.2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
john2

Postby keatonatron » Tue 10.27.2009 6:03 am

john2 wrote: so basically picture a japanese court room

:| :| :| :|
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Tue 10.27.2009 6:39 am

Infidel wrote:..... the link 37 references this page.

I don't get the point. What was the point? Even the referenced page doesn't clarify it for me. Thank you any historical buffs that get it.

..... the object of Caesar and his party being to put an end to, or at least a check upon, that prerogative of the senate by which, in a case of tumult, they could arm the city at once, by the customary vote, “Videant consules nequid respublica detrimenti capiat”; in obedience to which vote many seditious citizens had at different times been put to death without any trial, and this privilege of the senate had been a constant subject of complaint to the tribunes ....

My understanding from that is that Ceasar's point was that he wanted to show that if the senate used their prerogative resulting in a citizen being murdered then those senators responsible would be held personally accountable for the murder. In effect an accomplice before the fact. Even though the case did not proceed the point was made that in such circumstances Caesar and his party would pursue murder charges against those involved and hence they put a check on the use for such prerogative.

Then again it could be what john2 posted :?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby phreadom » Tue 10.27.2009 8:14 am

I'd go with Chikara on this one.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby john2 » Tue 10.27.2009 10:08 am

Ah hmm I learned something let’s put it that way.
john2

Postby Infidel » Tue 10.27.2009 1:18 pm

cool, thanks. That was blowing my mind. I was thinking political murder meant some PR scheme that destroyed some one's chances at politics. Like spreading a rumor that such and such politician is a pedophile in the U.S.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 10.27.2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby furrykef » Tue 10.27.2009 1:20 pm

Methinks the Wikipedia page is just badly written. Perhaps you should post on its talk page to ask for clarification?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.04.2009 3:02 pm

Infidel wrote:cool, thanks. That was blowing my mind. I was thinking political murder meant some PR scheme that destroyed some one's chances at politics. Like spreading a rumor that such and such politician is a pedophile in the U.S.

spreading rumor is called Slander or Liable (depending on the case) and it's a whole 'nother legal lesson..
two_heads_talking

Postby Sairana » Wed 11.04.2009 11:14 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:spreading rumor is called Slander or Liable (depending on the case) and it's a whole 'nother legal lesson..

While splitting hairs...
It's written 'libel', and the difference doesn't depend on the case. One's spoken (slander) and one is written (libel)... and even then, only legally actionable if the statements made are untrue.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 11.05.2009 12:07 am

Sairana wrote:One's spoken (slander) and one is written (libel)... and even then, only legally actionable if the statements made are untrue.

Favorite quote from Spider-man 1 =)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.11.2009 12:25 pm

Sairana wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:spreading rumor is called Slander or Liable (depending on the case) and it's a whole 'nother legal lesson..

While splitting hairs...
It's written 'libel', and the difference doesn't depend on the case. One's spoken (slander) and one is written (libel)... and even then, only legally actionable if the statements made are untrue.

not sure what I was thinking when I incorrectly typed that, but I am aware of difference in the two.
two_heads_talking

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sat 11.14.2009 8:20 pm

Be careful using Wikipedia since it can be completely incorrect. I always read the article sources on the bottom. Even then, the sources can be wrong too or full of some activist’s opinion [etc…]. I’m really not fond of Wikipedia, but it can be useful sometimes.

Methinks the Wikipedia page is just badly written. Perhaps you should post on its talk page to ask for clarification?
Last edited by 血まみれ剣術師 on Sat 11.14.2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
血まみれ剣術師

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.14.2009 8:56 pm

血まみれ剣術師 wrote:Be careful using Wikipedia since it can be completely incorrect. I always read the article sources on the bottom. Even then, the sources can be wrong too or full of some activist’s opinion [etc…]. I’m really not fond of Wikipedia, but it can be useful sometimes.

This is only the second post of yours I've read, the first being the one kentaku-sama started about either the Japanese language or Japanese orthography (unclear which). And before I even scrolled down to your reply I told myself, "I'd bet Grandpa's last clean colostomy bag the post equivocates."
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby furrykef » Sat 11.14.2009 9:10 pm

Mike Cash wrote:"I'd bet Grandpa's last clean colostomy bag the post equivocates."

Somehow it took me a while to parse this correctly until I realized that there's an implied "that" after "bag". Now I re-read it and wonder how I could misparse it. Strange.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Next

Return to General off topic