Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question for French speakers

Question for French speakers

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Question for French speakers

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 11.15.2009 8:32 pm

I'm taking a graduate reading French course, and we're looking at the following article:
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/Locales/Loos ... renn.shtml

The only part I don't understand is this: "> Pas difficile. « Ce n'est pas aussi compliqué qu'on le croit », répondent en coeur les terminales du lycée Beaupré quand on leur demande si l'apprentissage du chinois est difficile."

What I have now is:
Not difficult. “It is not as complicated as people believe.” responded an administrator of Beaupre high school when asked if learning Chinese is difficult.

But I don't think I have the right meaning of "en coeur les terminales". Can anyone help?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Re: Question for French speakers

Postby JaySee » Sun 11.15.2009 11:11 pm

I'm not a native speaker, but I think I might know what's being said.

You need to split 'les terminales en coeur' up in two parts. 'Les terminales' (final year high school students) is the subject of répondent, 'en coeur' tells you how 'les terminales répondent'.

Where did you get 'an administrator' from in your translation?
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 11.15.2009 11:33 pm

JaySee wrote:Where did you get 'an administrator' from in your translation?

That was a total guess; I had just thrown something in there while I was translating the rest, it seemed to sort of fit the context although I knew it was wrong. Thanks for your help.

So is "en coeur" = "by heart" or "in unison"? "Responding by heart" still doesn't really seem to make that much sense but it's better than before, I guess "in unison" is more sensible.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Monal » Mon 11.16.2009 12:01 am

"Les terminales" or "les étudiants en terminale" corresponds to last year students. "En coeur" means something like "together". It is often used in the expression "chanter en coeur", which means "to sing a song with other people".

It could not be used in another context. For example, "danser en coeur" (to dance) would not make any sense. It has to have something to do with people using their voice.
Monal

Native language: French (フランス語)

Postby Monal » Mon 11.16.2009 12:27 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:So is "en coeur" = "by heart" or "in unison"? "Responding by heart" still doesn't really seem to make that much sense but it's better than before, I guess "in unison" is more sensible.

"By heart" would be "par coeur" . "En coeur" would mean "in unison".
Monal

Native language: French (フランス語)

Return to General off topic