Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese and Graduate Studies

Japanese and Graduate Studies

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Japanese and Graduate Studies

Postby Matazi » Fri 02.12.2010 11:16 pm

Hello!

It has been a while since I've posted here. I wasn't really sure where to put this; either way:

I'm currently a Computer Science (CS) undergrad. I have about a year to graduate, and I'm looking into going to graduate school. I've done considerable research into different graduate degrees in CS. The sad thing about it is, the closer and closer I get to graduation, the less and less I have a desire to continue on the CS path. Likewise, Japanese has had an inverse effect the further I've gone into it as my minor.

I feel the most logical step would be to acquire a graduate degree in Japanese. I've done a little research via Google, and I'm not really sure what to make of the results. I've found various graduate degrees in Japanese and/or Japanese literature. In the long run, my goal is a Ph.D. This is what I've set out to do from day one. I have a considerable amount of research done in the CS field for an undergrad (which I think would be moot-point going elsewhere.)

The too long; didn't read version is: I realize I'll never obtain native-level proficiency, but I'd still like to implement a small portion of my CS experience and a lot of Japanese into a Ph.D where I can (hopefully) teach at the higher-education level. I'm not really sure what to look for to begin this process.

Thank you for reading.
Matazi

Native language: English

Re: Japanese and Graduate Studies

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 02.13.2010 1:16 am

Well, I majored in CS in undergrad and am now working on a PhD in Japanese literature, so it's not impossible!

You might want to try to get some sort of opportunity to go live in Japan for a while between college and graduate school, although it's not strictly necessary. The JET program and similar opportunities exist. Otherwise it's just a matter of submitting applications to various places and hoping you get accepted.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Matazi » Thu 03.04.2010 11:28 am

Very interesting. I'm interested in Japanese literature as well, are there any specific details of the degree you would suggest to look out for when applying to graduate schools? Perhaps even still, is there a listing of graduate schools that offer graduate studies in Japanese literature?
Matazi

Postby leonl » Thu 03.04.2010 4:45 pm

Matazi wrote:Very interesting. I'm interested in Japanese literature as well, are there any specific details of the degree you would suggest to look out for when applying to graduate schools? Perhaps even still, is there a listing of graduate schools that offer graduate studies in Japanese literature?

I dont know about a listing, but if you live on the west coast or would like to visit the UW(university of washington) has exactly what you. I've also considered the graduate degree in Japanese after undergrad so I've done some research into it, specifically an M.A/Ph.d Asian Languages and Literature-Japanese. From what I understand in order to enter the Program at the UW you need the equivalency of three years of language study/ JLPT 1/2 because at the graduate level everything is exclusively in Japanese. Also, the UW requires you to gain profiency in another related language i.e chinese though you only have to take the first two year of language. As far as things like a Masters thesis or dissertation go you would have to ask Yudan and or Tony. But from what I've gleaned from research it envovles picking something ususally some classic Japanese Literary work and giving some sort of critque of it.

Hope this helps a little
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Return to General off topic