Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Pipil pronunciation

Pipil pronunciation

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Pipil pronunciation

Postby Dehitay » Mon 03.08.2010 12:20 pm

Is anybody here familiar enough with pipil or knows anybody familiar with pipil to the point where they can tell me the pronunciation of the word "teyollocuani"? Pipil isn't really the most popular of languages, so I don't know anything about it other than the fact that it comes from somewhere around South America. Consequently, I can only guess that it would pronounced in the way that it would be pronounced in Spanish. But the Spanish pronunciation of yollo is a bit weird so I'm not sure that's right.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Re: Pipil pronunciation

Postby phreadom » Tue 03.09.2010 3:32 am

I have no idea... but I'm curious what brought this question about. :) Are you studying south American languages or culture or something?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: Pipil pronunciation

Postby furrykef » Tue 03.09.2010 4:04 am

Can't say I'm familiar with Pipil at all, but it's quite possible that the spelling is a hispanicization... I first thought maybe the 'll' is simply a long L sound, but Wikipedia says, "One other characteristic phonological feature is the merger in Pipil of original geminate [ll] with single [l]" -- suggesting that Pipil doesn't have a long L at all.

The 'll' might be the sound typically spelled 'tl', though "teyotlocuani" and "teyotloquani" get no google hits.

If it is indeed a hispanicized spelling, it's curious that the word has both "y" and "ll", as many dialects of Spanish don't distinguish these two sounds, and the 'll' sound doesn't appear to be a feature of Pipil pronunciation, nor do I see anything similar beyond the 'tl' sound.

Perhaps your best bet might be to e-mail the webmaster of this page...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to General off topic